PDA

View Full Version : Should I switch to VM?

Juz
09-12-2009, 21:41
Hi all

I currently have Sky HD and standard ADSL (up to 8mb) through a BT line.

I'm seriously considering switching to VM for the whole lot... TV (V+HD), phone and BB (probably 10mb but maybe 20mb).

I live in Ipswich in the IP4 area.

Please could I have some honest opinion on the standard of service in my area?

Do the TV, Phone and BB connections have to be installed in the same place/room?

Also, I use a Mac rather than a PC. Are there any Mac users here who would care to comment on any setup/usage issue.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

VMboy
09-12-2009, 21:47
Not such a good time to be asking that question as many people are not that happy with the service they are currently receiving whether it BB or TV from VM.

I'll leave it up to others to answer your other questions.

Peter_
09-12-2009, 21:59
I have been a customer since 1994 and I have never had any major issues with Virgin throughout all their various guises up to date.

I have broadband, a V+ for tv and the telephone service and if the has ever been any issues all I have done is pick up the phone and it has either been sorted out very quickly or a engineer has been sent out in a very short timescale.

If you require an engineer then the is no charge to you for the visit.

Do not believe every thing you read on any forum as very few satisfied customers actually visit or post on them at all.

On a forum you will only in the main read about issues or faults, and if the was actually a major problem it would be National headline news.

If you take out services you have 30 days within which you can cancel your contract.

I may be staff but I have been a customer for a lot longer.

Sephiroth
09-12-2009, 22:03
I have been a long standing VM customer with no problems.

But you should search the forum on the word Ipswich and begin to form an opinion.

As to VM's current woes, they may come out of it OK; difficult to say. My advice if you go VM is to get the 50 Mbps package so that you are assured of not being on legacy infrastucture while they garner funds to upgrade that side too.

MakeMoreUserName
09-12-2009, 22:19
This is the speed i get in the evening.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/12/65.png

Other than that its great, all day long i get a solid 10MB if i dont download anything. :)

jalzoo
09-12-2009, 22:22
Been with virgin since 2001, Never had any serious problems, Customer Support seems reasonable allways got it sorted in the end. Was originally on 20meg but upgraded to 50meg when it was in my area.. And to be hounest ive never looked back its worth the extra money to get the 50 in my opinion. No traffic shaping, Speeds seem to be consistant for me regardless of what time it is ping times very low as you can see from speedtest as low as 5ms.
Some mug deicided to cut my virgin line outside my house couple of weeks ago it was sorted next day allways been sharpish for me =)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/12/64.png

Arthurgray50@blu
09-12-2009, 22:32
Although, l don't live anywhere near you behind In London.

Try the Phone line first along with BB, but l would stay with Sky opn the Tv.

The phone / BB is perfect and is cheap for us, But with VM, you don't get the channels that you would get on Sky, l have both services but for the TV l would stay with Sky only for that reason.:)

VMboy
09-12-2009, 22:42
Not much difference between the last 2 speed tests. :D

Mind you taking everything into consideration Virgin Media are much better than BT Openreach for sure.

Ignitionnet
09-12-2009, 22:46
Mind you taking everything into consideration Virgin Media are much better than BT Openreach for sure.

Though one can't really be compared to the other they are quite different animals :)

xocemp
09-12-2009, 23:00
And another thing, don't go by speed test sites ;)

Firefox

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/12/60.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Opera
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/12/61.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

VMboy
09-12-2009, 23:14
Though one can't really be compared to the other they are quite different animals :)

Please explain.

Digital Fanatic
09-12-2009, 23:26
Please explain.

click Me! (http://www.jlsnet.co.uk/index.php?page=cablevadsl)

oliver1948uk
09-12-2009, 23:47
Customer for 10+ years. Yes, there have been issues but all sorted out in a reasonable manner, often with welcome reductions in the bill.
Phone NEVER let me down; TV rarely let me down; Broadband only occasionally let me down.
Only you know what TV channels you watch. I have no idea what extra ones are on SKY but for most people the range on VM I am sure is more than adequate - there are only so many hours available to sit in front of it! V+ box brilliant, especially (with HDMI) the quality of its upscaled SD picture making, in my opinion, HD a complete anti-climax. I for one would certainly not pay extra for it as I am told you have to do on SKY.
However, I am a long way from Ipswich (Mansfield NG18) so perhaps things are not so good there.

Gary L
09-12-2009, 23:49
I wouldn't.

Mick Fisher
09-12-2009, 23:57
Keep the sky TV and the BT Phone.

Just try the BB. You get 28 days to dump it without penalty I believe if it's no good for you. Make sure you understandand and cope with the traffic shaping for your chosen tier. Only the 50meg is free of it (for the present).

Sephiroth
09-12-2009, 23:59
Not much difference between the last 2 speed tests. :D

In what way are VM better than BT Openreach? Please explain.

VMboy
10-12-2009, 12:56
In what way are VM better than BT Openreach? Please explain.

Easier to understand bills and newer cables in the streets.

Juz
10-12-2009, 16:15
Wow!

Didn't expect so many replies, such a wide range of opinions as well.

Would still like to hear from any Mac users out there. And can anybody enlighten me on my installation question?

Peter_
10-12-2009, 17:00
Wow!

Didn't expect so many replies, such a wide range of opinions as well.

Would still like to hear from any Mac users out there. And can anybody enlighten me on my installation question?
The is nothing special about setting up a Mac on aVirginmedia connection, its just plug and play and whatever router you receive will work with a Mac.

Wild Oscar
10-12-2009, 18:58
Another long term user here .. been with Telewest/Virgin now for over 10 years .. and on the 20meg service for .. 3/4 years now?

Anyway, hardly any problems in that time , a couple of lost connections that were speedily sorted and high speeds all the time as far as I can tell!

I've also got the phone line which gets me the standard TV service for free .. I could probably phone up and re-negotiate a new conract, but I'm happy with what I've got for now!

I'd say go for it .. but maybe keep the BT line , coz if it's disconnected , BT will charge you £125 to reconnect it again if you ever change your mind.

Sephiroth
10-12-2009, 19:08
Another long term user here .. been with Telewest/Virgin now for over 10 years .. and on the 20meg service for .. 3/4 years now?

Anyway, hardly any problems in that time , a couple of lost connections that were speedily sorted and high speeds all the time as far as I can tell!

I've also got the phone line which gets me the standard TV service for free .. I could probably phone up and re-negotiate a new conract, but I'm happy with what I've got for now!

I'd say go for it .. but maybe keep the BT line , coz if it's disconnected , BT will charge you £125 to reconnect it again if you ever change your mind.

Good call Oscar. I kept my BT line and put O2 ADSL2+ on in case VM ever went down (which it does rarely occasionally and I don't complain!). I'm a long way from the BT exchange but 1.5 Mbps is better than zilch.

Ignitionnet
10-12-2009, 19:32
Please explain.

Tried buying something directly from Openreach recently?

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/home.do

Sephiroth
10-12-2009, 20:02
tried buying something directly from openreach recently?

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/home.do

rotfl!

broadbandking
11-12-2009, 00:15
Made me laugh from http://www.jlsnet.co.uk/index.php?page=cablevadsl article using the latest fibre optic technology

webcrawler2050
11-12-2009, 02:11
I've just switched from BT to Virgin - Finally. Anywho, I ordered just the BB to start with. Moved in and the freeview didn't work. Not a strong enough signal apparently. Anywho, i'mdue to be installed on 14/12 - I rang sales not 3 days ago, wishing to add TV to my install date, after 15 minutes on the phone, I got the first two months for £30 (Rather than £40) and TV to be added to my install. Overall, I'm really happy with the service. Everything has been pretty easy. Just looking forward to my service :D

Rik
11-12-2009, 09:01
Well I am not in your area so cannot comment on performance locally, but i have been a VM customer for around 7 years, maybe longer cant remember and the service has just got better and better!

Now I am on 50Mb Broadband, V+ Box with XL TV package and Unlimited Telephone Calls and Im a very HAPPY CUSTOMER, the service is brilliant, and extremely good value for money.

Just look at that broadband speed!! The stuff dreams are made of :D

Overall 9/10
I would like some more HD channels tho :D

Sephiroth
11-12-2009, 11:56
While I echo Rik's sentiments about my particular service, VM must surely be due the stick they're receiving for the misery being caused in areas they appear to be upgrading.

Stick not for the upgrading (if that's what they're doing), but for the lamentable PR and indeed change management processes, which appear to me to be "fundamentally broken" to echo the words of their own quality director in January 2009.

Juz
11-12-2009, 18:45
Mmm, food for thought. I think on balance I'll go for it though.

I would be grateful for some feed back on the installation issue. Can I have my TV outlet and telephone/BB points installed in different rooms?

Digital Fanatic
11-12-2009, 18:54

I would be grateful for some feed back on the installation issue. Can I have my TV outlet and telephone/BB points installed in different rooms?

Yes, within reason...speak to your installer on the day. HTH

Peter_
11-12-2009, 19:37

If you pre drill and have drawlines to pull the cable through, the engineer will think that he is in heaven.

A plate of biscuits and a cup of tea and it will be sorted.

I pre prepared my house and got my modem exactly where I wanted.

Juz
11-12-2009, 19:39
Nice one Moldova ;) I hear ya.