PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Sound Problems

Horns9
09-12-2009, 10:22
Hi Guys, Hoping someone can help. I have just purchased a PS3 and have been unable to make a connection that has any sound!

I have connected my PS3 to my Goodmans LCD TV via HDMI to DVI. I have then also used the red and white auido leads (ignoring the yellow lead) that were provided with the PS3. No matter what ports I use on my TV I have no sound.

I have tried changing the audio settings on the PS3, this has still not worked.

The only connections i have on my TV are as follows,

750 Ant, Scart 1, Scart 2, L, R. cb/ph, cr/pr, Y, AV
Audio in (not sure what audio this is for, just looks like a small jack socket), VGA, DVI.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

DJ

pabscars
09-12-2009, 10:31
Does your tv not have a hdmi port on the back then?

Horns9
09-12-2009, 10:36
No, only DVI.
This is despite the user manual for my Goodmans GTVL26W8HD saying otherwise!

pabscars
09-12-2009, 10:45
I think there has been some issues with some TV's not getting the sound when converted from HDMI to DVI,

have you tried it just via a scart lead, I know the quality will be pants compared to hdmi but at least you should get some sound through.

sorry I cant be of more help at the moment, but if I can find any more info I will let you know.

ps Welcome to the forum

Graham M
09-12-2009, 10:51
DVI does not carry any sound whatsoever. In the sound output settings you need to select Analogue Audio out or it will try and send it via HDMI (which obviously it can't)

pabscars
09-12-2009, 10:54
just found this which may help

here's what i did to solve problem when hooking up ps3 with hdmi to dvi. my dvi connection has left and right audio right next to it so i connected hdmi to dvi on tv. kept the av cables connected to ps3 and used the red and white of the 3 and connected them to the audio next to dvi. for surround sound i use sony surround and connected left and right audio to audio on back of tv so whether im watching tv or using ps3 its all in sterio. now with everything connected turn you tv on and select input to dvi and turn on ps3. ps3 will detect hdmi cable and go thru the next few options to configure ps3 and highest resolution your tv is capable of. you still wont have sound but under the audio options im not exactly sure where but i selected the option with s/cart on it and the sound came on. the games look fantastic now and im currently watch the matrix that has been upscaled to 1080i. i hope this helps.

Good luck

Horns9
09-12-2009, 16:46
Thanks for the advice. Still have had no luck.
Tried chaging the Audio setings on the PS3 to take sound from Analogue but still nothing!
Sound is there when I change the AV channel on the TV but no picture! Picture is fine on the DVI AV channel but then I have no sound.
Very frustrating!

Tezcatlipoca
09-12-2009, 19:22
You're plugging it into the wrong audio input then, if the audio is only there when you're on a different AV channel.

You need to connect the red & white phono plugs into whichever audio input on the TV is associated with the DVI input. It may actually be the small 3.5mm socket, which would require a cheapo adaptor (Maplin has them (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1218)).

Jakey_boi12
15-12-2009, 20:50
Hi everyone... like some others i need some quick advice on hooking up my ps3. Right here's what I've got :
- An LG Full HD PC Monitor (1080p)
- A PS3
- A Stereo (Sony MHC GT444)

So of course, I'm gonna hook up the video through HDMI to the monitor but I'm wondering if i should put a jack from the headphone socket on the back of the monitor to phono red + white to the input on my stereo or somehow use an optical cable to output the sound towards some converter to phono and then my stereo ??? LOL, that was one long sentence =) hope u guys got it ...

PS3 > HDMI > MONITOR and Headphone Jack > Phono RED + WHITE > Stereo
Or ????
PS3 > HDMI > MONITOR and PS3 > Optical > Converter > Phono RED + WHITE > Stereo

Remember , I want the best possible sound.... And how much is a kind of converter for this job ???

Thanks guys..... Please Help Me.:confused:

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Hi everyone... like some others i need some quick advice on hooking up my ps3. Right here's what I've got : - An LG Full HD PC Monitor (1080p)
- A PS3
- A Stereo (Sony MHC GT444)

So of course, I'm gonna hook up the video through HDMI to the monitor but I'm wondering if i should put a jack from the headphone socket on the back of the monitor to phono red + white to the input on my stereo or somehow use an optical cable to output the sound towards some converter to phono and then my stereo ??? LOL, that was one long sentence =) hope u guys got it ...

PS3 > HDMI > MONITOR and Headphone Jack > Phono RED + WHITE > Stereo
Or ????
PS3 > HDMI > MONITOR and PS3 > Optical > Converter > Phono RED + WHITE > Stereo

Remember , I want the best possible sound.... And how much is a kind of converter for this job ???

Thanks guys..... Please Help Me.

---------- Post added at 21:50 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

I'm sorry to say this mate, but you've just made 2 really bad choices =
-Never buy goodmans, come on, it's pants.
-Should of bought something with an HDMI Input on it. It makes your life much easier and more enjoyable. With a DVI it think you will only get a resolution of 1024 x 786 something around that . You know of course that HDMI is much better. How much did you pay for your LCD Tv and what is the size?? I made a great buy with an LG PC Monitor (FULL HD 1080p) so you can play your ps3 on it and of course hook up your PC...and it was only 150£