PDA

View Full Version : CATV box at end of my garden but house not connected virgin?

chrisgregory
08-12-2009, 22:03
Hi all I wonder if someone out there could help me or point me in the right direction?
I live in ingleby barwick which is a newish estate in the North east parts of the estate have Virgin but some streets dont's. Unfortunately my street is one of those that the Virgins web site says isn't in a cable area.
I have a CATV box at the end of my garden but it hasn't been connected to the house is there any way I can get it connected so I can sign up to become a virgin TV/Phone/Broadband Customer or am I stuck with Sky and and Rubish ADSL broadband supplier?
Cheers Chris

Peter_
08-12-2009, 22:04
Unserviceable leads form for contacting the spotters team

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/forms/unserviceableLeads.html

chrisgregory
08-12-2009, 22:14
Hi thanks for the quick response I have filled in the form What normally happens when they contact you?
Cheers Chris

Peter_
08-12-2009, 22:17
Hi thanks for the quick response I have filled in the form What normally happens when they contact you?
Cheers Chris
They are supposed to get back to you within 72 hours and they may send a spotter out to see if you are serviceable apart from that I know very little as it is not something I deal in personally.

Good luck with it anyway.

chrisgregory
08-12-2009, 22:18
Ok thanks for your help I'll wait and see what happens

m419
09-12-2009, 14:17
It could be an old Cable network such as Rediffusion, they are loads of manhole covers and junction boxes still intact from Rediffusion in my area and the service ceased over 20 years ago. Its suprising how things last!

chrisgregory
09-12-2009, 19:08
Hi the housing estate is only about 15 years old so it is definately Virgin or NTL as it was at the time

Flyboy
09-12-2009, 21:53
They are supposed to get back to you within 72 hours and they may send a spotter out to see if you are serviceable apart from that I know very little as it is not something I deal in personally.

Good luck with it anyway.

Why do they need to send someone out? Don't they keep records of what connections they have?

Nedkelly
09-12-2009, 21:59
cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk I think i got the address right this goes to the new build people not the spotters try it you never know :)

Peter_
09-12-2009, 22:02
Why do they need to send someone out? Don't they keep records of what connections they have?
Absolutely no idea as to why they use spotters to check for serviceable leads.

jungleguy
09-12-2009, 22:05

the billing system and data base have changed/migrated from the original local franchise to NTL/Telewest to VM. In this process some addresses have dropped off the data base. Some were never on in the first place. The VM data base was compiled by surveys from the original cable franchise who laid the cable, not the royal mail data base.

Computer will say no, until you convince someone at VM to send someone out

Peter_
09-12-2009, 22:07
the billing system and data base have changed/migrated from the original local franchise to NTL/Telewest to VM. In this process some addresses have dropped off the data base. Some were never on in the first place. The VM data base was compiled by surveys from the original cable franchise who laid the cable, not the royal mail data base.

Computer will say no, until you convince someone at VM to send someone out
I think that answers your question quite nicely.

chrisgregory
11-12-2009, 22:42
Thanks for all the responses I've tried filling in the form on the web site and also emailed the cablemystreet email address on the 6th but I have not been able to get a response from anyone yet.
Who'd have thought it would be so difficult to give your hard earned money away.
You never know maybe I might get a response next week. Its so frustrating as the cables are there just not connected to my house Obvoiusly when they did this street the owner of my property said he wasn't interested and that they couldn't wire it to the house just incase he changed his mind. Bummer!!!

beeman
12-12-2009, 08:05
Its very possiable that despite the manhole covers there is actually no cable in them. years ago particlarlly in NTL regions new developments would have had the ducking put in place by the developer but the whole development was never connected up to the actual network. This was primarlly because when NTL went insolvant as part of an agreement to stave off bankrupcy they agreed not to lay anymore new cable. So even areas that were setup for them were not actually installed.

jungleguy
12-12-2009, 10:32
Its very possiable that despite the manhole covers there is actually no cable in them. years ago particlarlly in NTL regions new developments would have had the ducking put in place by the developer but the whole development was never connected up to the actual network. This was primarlly because when NTL went insolvant as part of an agreement to stave off bankrupcy they agreed not to lay anymore new cable. So even areas that were setup for them were not actually installed.

have you seen whats in my Avatar. An empty cab. thats taken from a hole estate that has ducts man hole covers but the cabs empty.

What a waste

Flyboy
12-12-2009, 19:27
Originally Posted by beeman
Its very possiable that despite the manhole covers there is actually no cable in them. years ago particlarlly in NTL regions new developments would have had the ducking put in place by the developer but the whole development was never connected up to the actual network. This was primarlly because when NTL went insolvant as part of an agreement to stave off bankrupcy they agreed not to lay anymore new cable. So even areas that were setup for them were not actually installed.have you seen whats in my Avatar. An empty cab. thats taken from a hole estate that has ducts man hole covers but the cabs empty.

What a waste

Cannot these now be connected? Surely it's just a matter of feeding the cable through the ducting etc.

chrisgregory
12-12-2009, 22:13
I'm pretty sure the cable is there as they have it in the next street and our pavement has been dug up to lay it as you can see where they have put new tarmac down. Surely they wouldn't do all that not to lay cable, I could understand if the manhole covers were put in when building the street but it looks as if this has been done after which I am hoping means the cable is there.

Nedkelly
12-12-2009, 22:25
They are getting round to some of these areas where the cabs and ducting is in the ground .But there is trunk cables .Virgin seem to be doing these first as the outlay is low ie no digging the roads up .We had a whole new estate like this we brought it up to the new build team and they had had some emails from people there from the cable my street .This area is being done in Jan all i can say is keep at them :)