PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent/No Connection in Winchester SO22

PC3527
05-12-2009, 10:04
Hi all,

I wonder if someone could help or advise on this little snafu from the wondrous people of the Evil Empire....

I'm a 20M customer and for about the last 4 weeks now there have been times when my connection has dropped, totally - but then come back immediately. Now thats a niggle but acceptable if it happens once every couple of days however I wish I had reported this when it started

I am now in the situation for at least a week now where I can't get ANY service at all in the early evening, and patchy service at best in the late evening. Last night for example I just gave up. This is not amusing my fiance in Colorado either!;)

My speedtest.net results over the last three days vary between 3MB and 16MB on the down and .3 and .7 on the up with a ping between 20 and 50milliseconds. This is, of course when i can get a connection which is dubious - I am keeping a record of connection losses.

I have phoned the woeful, inadequate, barely literate technical support and gone through their 'how To Fix Internet For Dummies' routine. The first engineer changed my modem. Problems continued, the second engineer came out, scratched his head, told me he would have to get his supervisor to look at the external cable, and never came back to me and I wasn't able to get hold of him to find out what the ongoing plan was (that was yesterday)

I'm not a techie by any means but I have some understanding of what is going on.

I do not believe I am being throttled - my downloading is minimal.

I suspect there is a problem with overuse in this area because supiciously I can't connect during peak times, and I am rarely getting the connection I am paying for.

Can anyone shed any light on this, help or pass on advice in how to deal with someone who can assist me, rather than a call centre person who wants me to disconnect and reconnect my modem!

Thanks in advance

PC

Peter_
05-12-2009, 11:17
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

PC3527
05-12-2009, 13:00
Modem is an E08C007

Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.0 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.3 dBmV

This is much appreciated thank you

and apologies for the Evil Empire.... you're not all bad!

Peter_
05-12-2009, 13:30
Modem is an E08C007

Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.0 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 38.3 dBmV

This is much appreciated thank you

and apologies for the Evil Empire.... you're not all bad!
It made me laugh.

Your power levels are within operational parameters so any issue with the connection has to elsewhere, either network side or your equipment.

So you need to call the Evil Empire on 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

You should be able to get a UK agent up to 10pm at the weekend but if not call Monday morning after 0800.

PC3527
05-12-2009, 14:51
Thanks - its been confirmed its not the equipment.

Thanks for your help.

Peter_
05-12-2009, 15:04
Thanks - its been confirmed its not the equipment.

Thanks for your help.
Did you ring up and what did they tell you today.

PC3527
05-12-2009, 18:23
Didn't manage to do it today, I tried this morning and got India which with the best will in the world I can't be dealing with. There is no comprehension this is an ongoing problem!

I'll try tomorrow or Monday if I don't get any joy.

and of course tonight I am getting 8/9MB..... it has got to be a network/usage issue

PC3527
06-12-2009, 12:25
Update- Lost connection at 2010 and it hasn't come back yet. No service at all, but tv and phone are fine.

I've been on the phone trying 151 since 10am. I can't speak to anyone who can help other than to tell me to switch off my damn modem. No luck in speaking to a uk agent, and no luck trying to get someone in India who can escalate this situation.

I'll keep trying but I'm not hopeful.

At this rate I'll be voting with my feet and moving to Sky. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

All I want is someone to take ownership of this, tell me what the issue might be and a time when it will be fixed. I don't think that's too much to ask!