PDA

View Full Version : DOCSIS - Which Version Is Best

VMboy
04-12-2009, 22:35
Just curious, as my current Ambit 256 modem is DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant, why am I registered with a DOCSIS 1.0 config file!

I ask as I am led to believe that DOCSIS 2.0 would deal with faster transfer speeds as in Upload and Downloads, would this be correct?

darren.b
04-12-2009, 22:42
Err..

If you are set to 10Mb down, 512Kb up, you should get that speed regardless of DOCSIS. You'll still be on DOCSIS 1.0 as you are on the lighter "M" tier which has a more severe STM cap compared to L and will therefore be less of a strain on 1.0. I'm on L and on 1.1. And boy I wish I was back on 1.0. I asked, but no dice.

caph
04-12-2009, 22:59
Just curious, as my current Ambit 256 modem is DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant, why am I registered with a DOCSIS 1.0 config file!

I ask as I am led to believe that DOCSIS 2.0 would deal with faster transfer speeds as in Upload and Downloads, would this be correct?

It's not quite that simple. The pre-50Mb equipment that we were all on only uses DOCSIS 1.0 and is only configured to handle up to 20Mb.

The new 50Mb equipment can handle DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 but in reality it is only being used for DOCSIS 2.0 for all 50Mb customers and DOCSIS 1.1 for some 20Mb customers.

So in answer to your first question - you are on docsis 1.0 because you are connected to old kit which is only configured to use docsis 1.0.

In answer to your second question - you would still have the same maximum speed on a higher docsis but as far as I am aware the new kit does not suffer from oversubscription anywhere yet. So if you are suffering from oversubscription on old kit then the new kit will give you a faster speed.

crazyronnie
04-12-2009, 23:02
50mb uses docsis 3.0

General Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Baseline Privacy : Enabled
DOCSIS Mode : DOCSIS 3.0
Config File :
Primary Downstream Service Flow
SFID : 6232
Max Traffic Rate : 53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 3044 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Primary Upstream Service Flow
SFID : 6231
Max Traffic Rate : 1750000 bps
Max Traffic Burst : 3044 bytes
Min Traffic Rate : 0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst : 1522 bytes
Scheduling Type : Best Effort

caph
04-12-2009, 23:08
I'm on L and on 1.1. And boy I wish I was back on 1.0. I asked, but no dice.

Sol, could you double check that? As far as I've seen no-one on less than 20Mb is using docsis 1.1 so it's news to me that 10Mb people are now being moved on to the 50Mb equipment.

---------- Post added at 23:08 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

50mb uses docsis 3.0

Sorry, I did mean docsis 3. It's been a long week. Docsis 2 is not being used anywhere for any speed as far as I'm aware.

darren.b
04-12-2009, 23:12
Caph, I am on registered with DOCSIS 1.1 file and I'm paying for and subscribed to L 10Mb.

Config file proof
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34921251-post11.html

Op config
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 3044
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

I don't know if this is because I can be a heavy user overnight or not.

Peter_
04-12-2009, 23:15
Sol, could you double check that? As far as I've seen no-one on less than 20Mb is using docsis 1.1 so it's news to me that 10Mb people are now being moved on to the 50Mb equipment.
I take that you do not use any first line tools as we have all packages on the Cisco 10000's and Motorola BSR's and we have no dedicated 50Mb only kit either which due to them using DOCSIS 3 is not really an issue.

Only the Cisco 7200's do not carry 50Mb customers.

Welshchris
04-12-2009, 23:18
docsis 1.1 is better for 20mb apparently but Virgin and Motorolla between them cant seem to figure out how to get it working correctly on their BSRs

caph
04-12-2009, 23:37
I take that you do not use any first line tools as we have all packages on the Cisco 10000's and Motorola BSR's and we have no dedicated 50Mb only kit either which due to them using DOCSIS 3 is not really an issue.

Only the Cisco 7200's do not carry 50Mb customers.

At no point did I ever say that there was 50Mb only kit. I said that if you were on 50Mb then you had to be on the new kit.

It's interesting that they are now migrating everyone over to the new kit though given the initial problems when they started moving 20Mb customers over, ran in to loads of problems, then started moving them back again. Are they planning on phasing out the old UBRs do you know?

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:35 ----------

docsis 1.1 is better for 20mb apparently but Virgin and Motorolla between them cant seem to figure out how to get it working correctly on their BSRs

I have to say, since I was moved to a new 50Mb unit using docsis 1.1 on a 20Mb connection I've had near perfect speeds all of the time. But I think I was one of the lucky ones though.

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:36 ----------

Caph, I am on registered with DOCSIS 1.1 file and I'm paying for and subscribed to L 10Mb.

I stand corrected. Interesting.

VMboy
04-12-2009, 23:39
Err..

If you are set to 10Mb down, 512Kb up, you should get that speed regardless of DOCSIS. You'll still be on DOCSIS 1.0 as you are on the lighter "M" tier which has a more severe STM cap compared to L and will therefore be less of a strain on 1.0. I'm on L and on 1.1. And boy I wish I was back on 1.0. I asked, but no dice.

Not rocket science, just downgrade to M, then you will be back on 1.0

Peter_
04-12-2009, 23:40
At no point did I ever say that there was 50Mb only kit. I said that if you were on 50Mb then you had to be on the new kit.

It's interesting that they are now migrating everyone over to the new kit though given the initial problems when they started moving 20Mb customers over, ran in to loads of problems, then started moving them back again. Are they planning on phasing out the old UBRs do you know?
I was only pointing out in general and not to you that the is no 50Mb only kit but the are actually some 20Mb and 50Mb only kit.

I am first line and support our 50Mb service ( lucky me? ) but we have seen some newer Cisco stuff appearing that maybe replacing the 7200 series of uBR's.

VMboy
04-12-2009, 23:41
It's not quite that simple. The pre-50Mb equipment that we were all on only uses DOCSIS 1.0 and is only configured to handle up to 20Mb.

The new 50Mb equipment can handle DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 but in reality it is only being used for DOCSIS 2.0 for all 50Mb customers and DOCSIS 1.1 for some 20Mb customers.

So in answer to your first question - you are on docsis 1.0 because you are connected to old kit which is only configured to use docsis 1.0.

In answer to your second question - you would still have the same maximum speed on a higher docsis but as far as I am aware the new kit does not suffer from oversubscription anywhere yet. So if you are suffering from oversubscription on old kit then the new kit will give you a faster speed.

What do you mean when you say oversubscription?

caph
04-12-2009, 23:46
Basically, if your speed drops at peak times it's usually oversubscription. Some areas are relatively unaffected. Some areas suffer really badly. I spent a year on 20Mb on the old kit and was getting about 2Mb speeds in the evening. Then I got moved to the new kit and I've had near perfect 20Mb speeds ever since.

VMboy
04-12-2009, 23:51

Config file proof
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34921251-post11.html

I don't know if this is because I can be a heavy user overnight or not.

I am on the M package, and my Modem Capability shows as:Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Why do I have PHS disabled?

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:46 ----------

Basically, if your speed drops at peak times it's usually oversubscription. Some areas are relatively unaffected. Some areas suffer really badly. I spent a year on 20Mb on the old kit and was getting about 2Mb speeds in the evening. Then I got moved to the new kit and I've had near perfect 20Mb speeds ever since.

How did you get moved to the new kit?

Peter_
04-12-2009, 23:53
The quickest way is to upgrade to 50Mb but as it stands your modem will stay on its present uBR as you cannot be moved.

caph
04-12-2009, 23:59

The initial idea was that all 20Mb users would be migrated to the new kit to give them better speeds and free up bandwidth on the old kit for the under 20Mb customers. It all went a bit wrong though and I know a few people that had no end of problems on the new kit and were promptly moved back to the old kit.

From what others are saying though it now looks like they are moving everyone over to the new kit though, so I'm guessing you'll be moved over in any case when they get round to replacing the old kit that you are currently connected to.

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

The quickest way is to upgrade to 50Mb but as it stands your modem will stay on its present uBR as you cannot be moved.

Moldova, I thought you said that 10Mb customers were now being moved to the new kit? Or does that only apply to L 10Mb customers and not M 10Mb customers?

Welshchris
04-12-2009, 23:59

doesnt quite work like that.

Caph i was having pefect speeds, it was the constant dropping of connection that was doing my head in as the BSR in swansea drops IPs and its still a problem now.

caph
05-12-2009, 00:06
Caph i was having pefect speeds, it was the constant dropping of connection that was doing my head in as the BSR in swansea drops IPs and its still a problem now.

I really do feel for you. I spent a year banging my head off the Virgin brick wall and I really do count myself lucky that I've now got a rock steady 20Mb connection. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. When Virgin get it right it's an absolutely fantastic service. When they get it wrong ... well you know.

Sephiroth
05-12-2009, 00:07
I am on the M package, and my Modem Capability shows as:Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Why do I have PHS disabled?......

Didn't you ask this question on 24-July in this thread? http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/48930-phs-disabled.html

The question was answered there.

darren.b
05-12-2009, 00:07

Impossible. (so VM say)

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/bundles/triple-builder.html

No "M" broadband. No "M" TV either. Gotta love it.

As I am trapped on yet another 12 month lock-in, I can't downgrade anyway. :D

VMboy
05-12-2009, 00:55
Impossible. (so VM say)

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/bundles/triple-builder.html

No "M" broadband. No "M" TV either. Gotta love it.

As I am trapped on yet another 12 month lock-in, I can't downgrade anyway. :D

I would have thought they would have let you downgrade as a special case.

Peter_
05-12-2009, 07:04
Moldova, I thought you said that 10Mb customers were now being moved to the new kit? Or does that only apply to L 10Mb customers and not M 10Mb customers?
We see all users on new kit down to S 2Mb, but VMboy was talking about his modem being physically moved to the new kit, if ths was done it is very likely the next time he rebooted that his modem would jump back to the original uBR.

50Mb gets a new modem which by default requires the new kit.

VMboy
05-12-2009, 10:51
Moldova,

Actually I am quite happy with things as they are, and it is solcuerda that was having problems with his modem.

Peter_
05-12-2009, 10:52
Moldova,

Actually I am quite happy with things as they are, and it is solcuerda that was having problems with his modem.
I know that it is him with the issue which going by his posts stem from being on a BSR.