PDA

View Full Version : Wireless do i set up or the engineer

da_vone
02-12-2009, 15:04
I have received my D-link 615 wireless N router in the post and i am waiting for my internet to be upgraded from 10mb to 20mb the engineer is going to come round on the 10th of December and also install the virgin phone line.

My question is, do i need to set up the wireless equipment myself or will the engineer set it up?

I was really hoping the VM would also through in the D-link wireless N adapter but they said they weren't able to do this since the router was free, which is fair. Does anyone know where i can get a well priced D link N adapter, or would any of the old b/g adapters also be compliant with the D-link N router?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

Aragorn
02-12-2009, 15:17
I would imagine it is self install but who knows if the engineer can be sweet-talked into setting it up.
Any B/G/N adapters should be compatible with the router but you will get the best speeds using a D-Link N adapter. However, as you only have 20Mb/s going out the modem, spending extra to get 150Mb/s between laptop and router seems a little pointless (unless you want to transfer large amounts of data around the home - eg streaming movies from desktop to laptop).
My favourite supplier, Novatech (http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/Networking-Wireless/WirelessUSBAdapters/), has Edimax and own brand N USB adapters from £12 upto £35.

da_vone
02-12-2009, 15:23
cheers aragorn your answer was really helpful

c53204
02-12-2009, 16:15
I wouldn't let the engineer do it. Likely to end up with your PC(s) not working at all.

Some engineers are pretty clued up, the one I had for my 50mb upgrade did not even own a PC and said he had no interest in them.

on in an hour!
02-12-2009, 18:02
I wouldn't let the engineer do it. Likely to end up with your PC(s) not working at all.

Some engineers are pretty clued up, the one I had for my 50mb upgrade did not even own a PC and said he had no interest in them.

so he broke yours did he?? could you elaborate ;)

c53204
02-12-2009, 18:14
so he broke yours did he?? could you elaborate ;)

No. Didn't even let him attempt - after his comment. He did say that his responsibility was just to connect the modem and make sure I had a connection. I'm all Mac products and he really looked worried that I might ask him to setup the router and dongle.

I'm a 25yr+ IT engineer, so I would always setup my own networks. He just swapped to CM over.

on in an hour!
02-12-2009, 19:19
No. Didn't even let him attempt - after his comment. He did say that his responsibility was just to connect the modem and make sure I had a connection. I'm all Mac products and he really looked worried that I might ask him to setup the router and dongle.

I'm a 25yr+ IT engineer, so I would always setup my own networks. He just swapped to CM over.

if you told him all the above he was probably scared of showing his arse!! :)

funone1
02-12-2009, 19:26
My girlfriend recently got a modem and router from Virgin Media. When the engineer came, all he did was connect the modem and told her that he couldn't connect the router for legal reasons, as he would know her network ID and password.

on in an hour!
02-12-2009, 20:05
My girlfriend recently got a modem and router from Virgin Media. When the engineer came, all he did was connect the modem and told her that he couldn't connect the router for legal reasons, as he would know her network ID and password.

VM only set up routers for 50meg subs and the (inhouse) service tech will bring the router and USB dongle with him (along with the modem).the contract partners sometimes supply the routers to subs but have never been required to set them up ;)

Peter_
02-12-2009, 21:05
I have received my D-link 615 wireless N router in the post and i am waiting for my internet to be upgraded from 10mb to 20mb the engineer is going to come round on the 10th of December and also install the virgin phone line.

My question is, do i need to set up the wireless equipment myself or will the engineer set it up?

I was really hoping the VM would also through in the D-link wireless N adapter but they said they weren't able to do this since the router was free, which is fair. Does anyone know where i can get a well priced D link N adapter, or would any of the old b/g adapters also be compliant with the D-link N router?

Thanks in advanced for your help.
Click the link for setup instructions http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34916465-post3.html

da_vone
12-12-2009, 19:42
Click the link for setup instructions http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34916465-post3.html

Hi Moldova Just want to say a huge thanks for typing out your simple "non -jargon" instructions on how to set up the D-Link 615 wireless router. After much anticipation i could no longer wait for the Wireless N Adapter to come from virgin will arrive sometime next week-brought from Virgin as they seem to have the best price at £30.

Just like you said took between 5-10 mins to do everything. However once it was done the Internet wasn't showing anything so i switched off the modem and the router got the plug out and after a minute switched everything back on and "hey presto" it was working like a dream.

I went wireless on my phone and on the PSP it worked fantastic. I am quite surprised with the speed im getting when i go wireless even though on the "Wireless Network Connection" its says my signal strength is Very Low and on the "Wireless Network Connection Status" its says the Speed is 18.0 Mbps with 3 out of the 5 bars lit up in green.

Is 18.0 the right figure as i thought the wireless N router should have speeds up to 300 or is that its range. I am probably getting myself confused here. But no complaint thus far. So in conclusion a huge thanks Moldova, you help was much appreciated.