PDA

View Full Version : External IP address now DHCP

gmudos
01-12-2009, 21:35
Folks,

I've just noticed my external IP address has changed twice over the last couple of weeks. I was under the impression this was static.

Is this a recent change?

Cheers

Peter_
01-12-2009, 21:37
Folks,

I've just noticed my external IP address has changed twice over the last couple of weeks. I was under the impression this was static.

Is this a recent change?

Cheers

All Virginmedia IP addresses provided on the residential service are dynamic and can change upon rebooting your modem.

Stuart
01-12-2009, 21:49
Virgin have never offered Static IPs on their residential networks. What that have offered is IPs that change occasionally, but mostly don't change. Although there is no official name for these (they are still counted as dynamic IPs), every VM agent I have spoken to about these calls them "Sticky" IPs.

Peter_
01-12-2009, 21:53
Virgin have never offered Static IPs on their residential networks. What that have offered is IPs that change occasionally, but mostly don't change. Although there is no official name for these (they are still counted as dynamic IPs), every VM agent I have spoken to about these calls them "Sticky" IPs.
I have only ever heard of NTLTELEWESTBUSINESS offering Sticky IP's and in my centre we refer to residential IP's as Dynamic due to them be liable to change.:)

In fact if we are recorded for Quality and Training Purposes and we get asked about Static IP's we have to inform the customer about them being Dynamic and that they may change even though they sometimes apear to be Static.

We have had people call in asking for their IP back and we have to tell them that it is not possible as another customer will have been assigned it if their MAC address did not get it reassigned.

Jon T
01-12-2009, 22:07
I have only ever heard of NTLTELEWESTBUSINESS offering Sticky IP's and in my centre we refer to residential IP's as Dynamic due to them be liable to change.:)

I believe that the DHCP servers are set to issue IP's with very long lease times. If you IP address is released back to into the DHCP pool(for example your turn your modem off), the DHCP server keep "your" IP back until it has no choice to lease it out(say if it has exhausted it's pool of lease expired IP's). If you turn your equipment back on within the original lease time, you'll get the same IP, as the DHCP server has "remembered" your equipment it's MAC address.

They are liable to change, but as past posts on this forum have proven, the business broadband packages aren't totally static either, being liable to change whenever a network re-segment is performed.

Peter_
01-12-2009, 22:11
I believe that the DHCP servers are set to issue IP's with very long lease times. If you IP address is released back to into the DHCP pool(for example your turn your modem off), the DHCP server keep "your" IP back until it has no choice to lease it out(say if it has exhausted it's pool of lease expired IP's). If you turn your equipment back on within the original lease time, you'll get the same IP, as the DHCP server has "remembered" your equipment it's MAC address.

They are liable to change, but as past posts on this forum have proven, the business broadband packages aren't totally static either, being liable to change whenever a network re-segment is performed.
Thats why they are called stickies on the business arm, you can have an IP for a long time on residential and some people get to rely on them for personal and business use and are taken by surprise when seemingly for no reason it changes.

Welshchris
01-12-2009, 22:22

Turning the modem back on within lease time doesnt always issue u with the same IP address... I had a problem here in Swansea with a BSR that was known for dropping IP addresses and its still ongoing, one day it dropped my IP 7 times and issued with me 3 new ones within the same day.

also i think that static IP addresses on the business side are extra and are not issued as standard although i could be wrong on that.

nffc
01-12-2009, 23:04
You could always get a dyndns account.

gmudos
04-12-2009, 10:25
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

I've switched to an OpenDNS tool which detects IP changes