PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Management (?)

telfordcable
01-12-2009, 19:44
I just checked out the traffic management here: http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

and it last updated on the 12th of May 2009 ? That's nearly 7 months with no change so far ? Has Virgin Media got a new traffic management site or has they forget to updating it ?

moaningmags
01-12-2009, 19:48
What happened to the traffic management you said was to be implemented in September?

telfordcable
01-12-2009, 19:50
What happened to the traffic management you said was to be implemented in September?

I thought it was going to be but they haven't - maybe change of heart ?

Sirius
01-12-2009, 20:02
I thought it was going to be but they haven't - maybe change of heart ?Ask one of your manager friends

broadbandking
01-12-2009, 22:07
Come on people he asked a question no need to attack him, no new page TC just the same old traffic management, not sure of any changes coming.

Sirius
03-12-2009, 07:08
Come on people he asked a question no need to attack him, no new page TC just the same old traffic management, not sure of any changes coming.

Sorry but the guy is so full of ******** the methane would run a power station for months.

General Maximus
03-12-2009, 11:03
you might find that if a lot of people have switched to 50mbit it has relieved some pressure from docsis1/2 and it hasn't been neccessary to implement stricter traffic management rules. I must say that I have got so used to not being stm'd since I got 50mbit many moons ago that if they ever inflicted on us I would cry.

broadbandking
03-12-2009, 11:20
you might find that if a lot of people have switched to 50mbit it has relieved some pressure from docsis1/2 and it hasn't been neccessary to implement stricter traffic management rules. I must say that I have got so used to not being stm'd since I got 50mbit many moons ago that if they ever inflicted on us I would cry.

Might want to start crying I can't see 50Mb been uncapped for much longer.

Welshchris
03-12-2009, 12:56
there was talk of one stage of doing away with STM and just putting a download cap per month on. Nothing ever came of it.

broadbandking
05-12-2009, 21:13
there was talk of one stage of doing away with STM and just putting a download cap per month on. Nothing ever came of it.

They would lose soooooo many customers with caps as they would have to drop the unlimited part.

Welshchris
05-12-2009, 23:08
broadbandking there was talk ages ago about introducing a caping system but nothing ever did come of it.

It was around the time when the STM was being trialled they were looking for other possible ways also.

broadbandking
05-12-2009, 23:36
I do remember when NTL was rolling out 10Mb there was going to be a 75Gb cap a month and I was talking to one of the then NTL guys who was looking at this but with Telewest offering a unlimited 10Mb, NTL soon dropped the idea.

Welshchris
05-12-2009, 23:46
One idea i did come up with was to introduce a capping system but keep it unlimited its similar to what AOL do. AOL advertise a 40GB onto the upto 8mb and if you go over that they cut ur speed to around 1mb for the remainder of the month.

What i think would be a good idea for example, take the 20mb set a cap of say 250GB a month and if u go over that ur STM'd for the remainder of the month to 5mb down and 256k up. They r still offering an unlimited service as such then.

moaningmags
05-12-2009, 23:50
Well I think that idea sucks, I'd rather be managed one or two nights a month or even a week for 5 hours because I've gone over the limit than go over the limit in the first week and spend 3 weeks at 5meg.

Welshchris
05-12-2009, 23:58
u download 250GB in a week?

I thought i had downloaded a lot over the past 7 weeks which ammounted to 300GB after one of my drives died. I lost pics of my friend that died aged 20 and vids of him, documents and god knows other things. Thankfully friends had backups of a lot of the pics and vids of the parties and so on so they uploaded them to rapidshare and i downloaded them.

moaningmags
06-12-2009, 00:07
I might want to or choose to and I don't want to have to count up my downloads and have to work out whether it's too early in the month to do so.
I then also have to start monitoring the kids and my husband, can we afford to let him download his WoW patch or will he have to wait.
People may not like the current traffic management policy but it beats the hell out of other capping, shaping, managing or whatever other name it's given implemented by other companies and I say that as a customer not an employee.

Welshchris
06-12-2009, 00:12
Well i think differently myself at the end of the day we all have our own opinions.

Mr Angry
06-12-2009, 01:22
u download 250GB in a week?

I thought i had downloaded a lot over the past 7 weeks which ammounted to 300GB after one of my drives died. I lost pics of my friend that died aged 20 and vids of him, documents and god knows other things. Thankfully friends had backups of a lot of the pics and vids of the parties and so on so they uploaded them to rapidshare and i downloaded them.

Welshchris I'd really like to help you out at this emotionally stressful time.

What was your dead friend's name / address? Can you give me some specifics?

If I've anything on my hard drive that might help you I'd be only too willing to share it.