PDA

View Full Version : Modem?

whitewineandsoda
01-12-2009, 16:56
Hi everyone, I posted in another thread that I'm not at all "techy" so please help if you can...;)
I'm moving soon and I've been told to take equipment with me including modem. Well I've no idea what this modem thing looks like, never seen it ..:confused:
Anyway I've found a thing at the back of the desk that's black and has a green light on it. It says on the back Wearnes Switching Adaptor, is this the modem? If not, what does it look like, and where will it be? TIA, WWAS

Peter_
01-12-2009, 19:50
Click the link ans it should look like one of these. http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

whitewineandsoda
01-12-2009, 21:32
Thanks for the reply Moldova, but it doesn't look anything like that. I've looked at the back of the TV as well, there's nothing like that there either.
Before I got the V+ box I'm almost sure my BB came from the old box, and no wires were put in to where my PC is.
If there's any more advice I would be grateful, TIA, WWAS.

Peter_
01-12-2009, 21:58
Possibly you receive your broadband through your set top box.

Sir John Luke
01-12-2009, 22:03
Possibly you receive your broadband through your set top box.

Not with a V+ box though. But it does sound like they did before upgrading to V+.

Peter_
01-12-2009, 22:07
Not with a V+ box though. But it does sound like they did before upgrading to V+.
I had one last week on a V+ one of the older models which had lost its connection due to the 2Mb to 10Mb upgrade and it required a stand alone cable modem to get it working again.

Sir John Luke
01-12-2009, 22:09
Hmm.. OK, I didn't think any of the V+ boxes ever supported broadband. I stand corrected.

whitewineandsoda
01-12-2009, 22:11
Thanks for the replies. Just say I don't find the modem, will the engineer have one with him for the new install? Or will I have to ring the dreaded 150 and ask CS? TIA, WWAS.

Peter_
01-12-2009, 22:13
Hmm.. OK, I didn't think any of the V+ boxes ever supported broadband. I stand corrected.
It said V+ on the account according to the code now if that is truly correct I have no idea as I do not know about the TV side and broadband through STB stopped before I joined and they were legacy customers who were on 1Mb.

I expect Spiderplant will be able to say one way or another.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:12 ----------

Thanks for the replies. Just say I don't find the modem, will the engineer have one with him for the new install? Or will I have to ring the dreaded 150 and ask CS? TIA, WWAS.
If you are having an install the engineer will fit a modem for you.

whitewineandsoda
01-12-2009, 22:36
Thankyou.....:tu: