PDA

View Full Version : 50Meg?? Ridiculously slow speeds....

richyseagull
30-11-2009, 21:56
Had this installed about a month ago. We are in a student house with 6 laptops a PS3 and an xbox. The average speed we get when we go to speedtest. is between 5-10.....

Got a new router from virgin today, absolutely no difference at all. Apparently our modem is fine so it must be the router. Is there anything we can do to try and get it sorted?

Sephiroth
30-11-2009, 22:28
If it's all going through a VM wireless router, it might not have the legs.

Does each person get 5 - 10 megs when they're on together? That takes care of 50 megs.

Anyway, which router is it and how is each device connected?

richyseagull
30-11-2009, 22:34
When I first tried the new router that was sent (DIR 615) I only had my laptop connected with an ethernet and was still struggling to reach 20. Most of the time it's all wireless though but to be getting 5meg or below seems crazy.

Sephiroth
30-11-2009, 22:40
When I first tried the new router that was sent (DIR 615) I only had my laptop connected with an ethernet and was still struggling to reach 20. Most of the time it's all wireless though but to be getting 5meg or below seems crazy.

You haven't ansered ny question about what happens when you're all on. What speed ddoes each get and how do you test it so that you're all doing it at the same time?

To get 20 Mbps on a 50Mbps connexion tells me that there is contention at that time of measurement. If you're the only one, it's the network where the contention lies.

I suppose you could check that you are all full duplex to the router. I don't think this is a router problem when you're on your own. When you're all wireless, you'll be contending with each other on the wireless channel and with anyone else nearby using the same channel - and there'll be a few. So IMO don't expect much from everyone being connected wirelessly.

richyseagull
30-11-2009, 22:45
To be honest can't notice too much difference throughout the day, whether it's just me or someone else is on as well, it all seems random.

Last year with sky 20mg there were 8 in a much bigger house and even being in the top room my ps3 rarely lagged. Im the floor above the router now and im lucky if its playable half the time. When I plugged ethernet straight from modem to laptop was getting 48/49/50 on speedtest, so how can I lose 30meg+ when connecting from the router with ethernet....?

Sephiroth
30-11-2009, 23:13
To be honest can't notice too much difference throughout the day, whether it's just me or someone else is on as well, it all seems random.

Last year with sky 20mg there were 8 in a much bigger house and even being in the top room my ps3 rarely lagged. Im the floor above the router now and im lucky if its playable half the time. When I plugged ethernet straight from modem to laptop was getting 48/49/50 on speedtest, so how can I lose 30meg+ when connecting from the router with ethernet....?

You haven't provided any evidence that you lose 30 meg through the router. What happens when you connect the PC straight into the modem? You should do this at a non-peak time and immediately again via the modem. Do a 100MB download rather than a speed test.

EDIT: This post is incorrect as explainded by the OP in #7.

richyseagull
01-12-2009, 00:09
eh? I said, when connecting straight to the laptop from modem was getting around or just under 50. Tried straight after but through the router and couldn't reach 20.....

Will try a download tomorrow though

Sephiroth
01-12-2009, 00:18
Ok - to correct what I said earlier.

Speedtest is an instantaneous result and a few moments later it can be totally different. So a 100MB download or two in each configuration in the same part of the day (non-peak) should provide a better picture.

The only way that a router IMO can lose 20 megs (when wired to one PC) is if it's set to throttle in one of the QoS parameters. Look forward to the results.