PDA

View Full Version : Moving a cable modem to be near TV

Chris68
29-11-2009, 20:08
Hi - currently have VM broadband and Digital TV which enters house at 2 separate points from a single external wall box that has a Digitap 3.5db splitter in it.

- TV signal enters house downstairs with a c.3m cable from external wall box to STB and a VC308 TV / FM isolator just before the STB. This has an FM connection on it which is currently unused.
- Broadband enters house via c.10m cable from external wall box up outside of house to bedroom two floors up with a Tristec TRIS 102A box just before modem.

What I want to do is move the modem downstairs to be near the TV. So, can I connect it directly to the FM connection or do I need a cable splitter (Maplin?) placed either before, after or instead of the the TV/FM isolator? Will I need any additional attenuators / regulators or need to put the Tris102 between the tv/fm isolator and modem? Anything else I need to know?

As you can probably tell, I need a hand:) Thanks!

Ben B
29-11-2009, 21:28
:welcome:

You need a splitter connected to the TV part of the FM/TV thing, not sure where you can get these from (ebay???) and then a bit of wire into the modem and a bit of wire into the STB.

Ben :)

shady252
01-12-2009, 15:26
The last time a virgin tech was sorting out my 50mb connection he told me that putting a splitter on the cable to the modem could stop the modem from working (or could stop it from working).
something about feedback i think but cant remember exactly what.

I'm wanting to do the same thing move my cable box up to the same room as the broadband but don't want to do it if its going to effect my broadband speed.

Griffin
01-12-2009, 15:33
The last time a virgin tech was sorting out my 50mb connection he told me that putting a splitter on the cable to the modem could stop the modem from working (or could stop it from working).
something about feedback i think but cant remember exactly what.

I'm wanting to do the same thing move my cable box up to the same room as the broadband but don't want to do it if its going to effect my broadband speed.

That seems odd as the self install package they sent me to install the free tv included a splitter for the cable to the modem.
I can aslo assure you that it works with no interference to the modem & i continually get full 20mb speeds & test sites give a pretty close reading too.

shady252
01-12-2009, 15:44
Thanks for the info, looks like I'm off to go buy a splitter :D

Kymmy
01-12-2009, 15:58
It depends on the splitter, some are biderectional others are not ;)

shady252
01-12-2009, 17:11
It depends on the splitter, some are biderectional others are not ;)

... and I need / don't need a bi-directional one?
I'm guessing i prob need one so that the data can go to and from the modem/tv