PDA

View Full Version : Finally given up on the Netgear WNR2000

gmudos
29-11-2009, 15:36
Help please...

I'm just about to call VM to report issues with my wireless router. I've spent many hours trying to troubleshoot an issue with a wireless streaming device (dlink dsm-330) and the WNR-2000 has been well and truely identified as the culprit.

Before I call VM, can I request a replacement router or even better, the DLINK DIR-615?

I'm on the 50mb connection so hopefully paying for a decent service will give me what I want.

Anyone else suffered the same pain?

69kimbo
29-11-2009, 15:43
Hey,

If it was supplied from VM you should be able to get it replace through them as being supplied though VM it is unlikely netgear will accept the warranty on it and therefore will pass the blame onto VM.

As it happens, a similar thing happened to my girlfriend who after a long winded phone call to VM managed to get transfered to an English call center as the indian call centers you will normally get though to couldn't understand her/wouldnt listen, anyway, the answer was yes they would replace the router once she finally got though to them and was sent a new one in the post within 3 working days of the phone call despite the fact they said it could take up to 7 days...

I'm pretty sure they have a standard router at any given time which they distribute with their broadband packages so i think it unlikely you would be able to request a better one, but they should sort you out as you were supplied the router though them as part of the deal is that they supply you with a router, which you would assume should be working!!

You might be better off waiting for one of the guys that work for virgin that are knocking about on this forum to confirm this, but given the fact that my girlfriend was given a replacement, i would assume it shouldn't be a problem.

gmudos
29-11-2009, 16:45
Thanks for the quick reply!

Okay, I called VM tech support who agreed that the router was faulty. I asked for a replacement, specifically the DIR 615. They said it wouldn't be a problem and started logging the ticket to arrange for the replacement to be sent out.

This was all too good to be true !

They asked where I got the router from as there was nothing to suggest it was supplied by VM (What a joke). After 1 hour and the threat of leaving VM, they decided to send one out.

I'm paying £114 per month and arguing over a 40 quid router. Anyway, all sorted now.

Thanks again.

Peter_
29-11-2009, 16:57
Thanks for the quick reply!

Okay, I called VM tech support who agreed that the router was faulty. I asked for a replacement, specifically the DIR 615. They said it wouldn't be a problem and started logging the ticket to arrange for the replacement to be sent out.

This was all too good to be true !

They asked where I got the router from as there was nothing to suggest it was supplied by VM (What a joke). After 1 hour and the threat of leaving VM, they decided to send one out.

I'm paying £114 per month and arguing over a 40 quid router. Anyway, all sorted now.

Thanks again.
As you are on 50Mb the should have been no argument as by default you get a N router and dongle as part of the package.

When you receive the D Link use this link for easy setup. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34916465-post3.html

gmudos
29-11-2009, 19:36
Cheers Moldova.

Are you using the DIR 615? If so, any good?

zing_deleted
29-11-2009, 19:41
its no better in my experience to the Netgear however I dont use wireless.In fact basic feature wise the netgear seems to be better

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

As you are on 50Mb the should have been no argument as by default you get a N router and dongle as part of the package.

When you receive the D Link use this link for easy setup. http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34916465-post3.html

dunno if its mentioned earlier in the post but when you change the router you will need to power down the modem also so it assigns a new IP address to the mac

General Maximus
29-11-2009, 19:47
Linksys all the way dude, I have got the WRT150N and it works a treat

Peter_
29-11-2009, 20:22
Cheers Moldova.

Are you using the DIR 615? If so, any good?
I use an Edimax BR650n at home, but deal with both of these routers every day in work, but we only support the connection anything else with regards to other settings is up to you and both brands have their own forums who provide excellent help and support.