PDA

View Full Version : Torrents and 50mb

Gypsie
29-11-2009, 14:29
Hi I discovered something recently that when my laptop on wireless is downloading 1 torrent even at only 100-200kbps and a tiny upload it causes my wired desktops net to run incredibly slow.

I ping google and get well over 1000ms and terrible download speeds, I turn off the torrent and it goes right back down to 30ms, now it clearly isn't the load from the torrent as that is only about a few % of the nets speed but for some reason it has a massive effect!

Anyone know why it would be doing this?

martyh
29-11-2009, 14:43
check how many upload slots per torrent and how many connected peers per torrent you have also try not have your download/upload speed on unlimited

Sephiroth
29-11-2009, 14:46
Or is it that the router doesn't have enough legs?

Gypsie
29-11-2009, 15:09
check how many upload slots per torrent and how many connected peers per torrent you have also try not have your download/upload speed on unlimited

Ah well they are set to unlimited yea but the speeds on upload/download are really low so didn't think it would matter! Will check that now

martyh
29-11-2009, 15:15
Ah well they are set to unlimited yea but the speeds on upload/download are really low so didn't think it would matter! Will check that now

the upload/download speed is of any given torrent is relative to the seeder/leecher but the bandwidth allocated if set on unlimited can screw your speeds it doesn't always follow that a download of say 100KB/s will only use 100KB of bandwidth it will still try to allocate all of the bandwidth available

broadbandking
29-11-2009, 16:01
I have never had any issues using 50Mb with torrents, try limiting your upload to around 30Kb/s whilst your using the net on another PC.

JdNthLdn
30-11-2009, 21:22
If your upload speed is to high then your internet runs slow. I limit to 75