PDA

View Full Version : Connection issues? (Luton)

Steve007
28-11-2009, 19:38
I am in the LU2 area and have been having connection issues since around 3pm. Pages are loading so slow & many just don't load at all!

I've tried the webcache.virginmedia.com proxy and it makes no difference. Anyone else having trouble??

Zee
28-11-2009, 21:20
Im in the far north of London.

I've also been having connection issues since around 3pm, msn cutting off, pages not loading, slow browsing. Its now cut off completly about 10 minutes ago with the ready light flashing.

Kymmy
28-11-2009, 21:23
No problems here a few miles north of Luton

Steve007
28-11-2009, 21:27
Yes I have had the ready light flashing too. It's static now, but pages either take an age to load or they just don't load at all.

Haven't tried MSN but I presume that would keep cutting out if the lights on the modem keep flashing on & off...

Rik
28-11-2009, 22:25
I am in Hemel Hempstead on 50Mb service, and the past few days my modem has required rebooting, one of the lights flash (cant remember which one) but once rebooted all is well again, very annoying.

I used to be routed through Luton, not so sure now im on 50Mb

cpc1-heme10-2-0-cust3***.9-1.cable.virginmedia.com

Edit I do hit Luton lutn-t3core-1a-ge-300-2548.network.virginmedia.net

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Yes I have had the ready light flashing too. It's static now, but pages either take an age to load or they just don't load at all.

Haven't tried MSN but I presume that would keep cutting out if the lights on the modem keep flashing on & off...

Which pages are you having issues with? most or just certain urls?

Steve007
29-11-2009, 13:58
Most sites. Facebook is a lot better today but sites like BBC & Sky News are no-go areas.

Steve007
06-12-2009, 23:41
Yesterday was the first time in about 7 days I was able to browse without any issues (I was actually getting what I was paying for, amazing!), but today has been pretty poor and this evening is dreadful!

Anyone else in the Luton area having issues??

outbound
08-12-2009, 09:49
Yes, LU2 here also and been having major problems for about 3 weeks.

This did initially coincide with me having a weekend away, turning everything off entirely for the duration. When I returned I noticed connectivity was a bit iffy and bandwidth significantly reduced (especially downstream; upstream seemed okay). I'd not worried overly about it though, just expected it to return to normal eventually.

Lately (the last week or so) browsing has become more miss than hit and the internet in general is completely unusable in the evenings. Mornings are better but still crap compared to what they should be.

Spent 20 minutes listening to classical music on 150 last night before giving up. I'll try the "Thinking of leaving VM" option before 8pm tonight.

Reading around other forums, it does seem VM are having major problems nationally. I'm not sure how much longer they'll be able to keep this out of the news if it continues.

outbound
09-12-2009, 20:19
Update: eventually got through (via "Thinking of leaving VM"; don't bother trying the technical support directly) and spoke to a very sympathetic lady who put me through to a very Luverpudlian lad in technical support. There was much technical stuff before we got to the nitty gritty:

Scouse tech bod: can you plug your computer into the router directly?
Me: sure, but which router, yours or mine?
Scouse tech bod: ours, the black one.
Me: black? no, yours is silver with "ntl" on the front.
Scouse tech bod: oh, really? hold on....
Scouse tech bod: seems you need a new modem....3 to 5 working days...etc.etc.

So Steve, if you have a silver modem with "ntl" on the front, it's time you called and got yourself a new shiny...okay, matt black...modem.

My connection also seems to be more stable since calling tech support too; tracert isn't full of asterisks, well not so many anyway. Possibly they dusted the fibre optics or something.

As a possibly interesting aside, one of the first questions I was asked by technical support was whether I was running P2P software. I'm not, but why ask?

Sephiroth
09-12-2009, 20:36
Update: ....

As a possibly interesting aside, one of the first questions I was asked by technical support was whether I was running P2P software. I'm not, but why ask?

because they're getting all their ideas off the forums!

Then they can say it's the customers clogging up the network with P2P stuff. You see, most of the current complaints are due to upstream performance for which I've offered a possible technical explanation in one of these threads but nobody's picked me up on.

VM would want to say it's what you're doing. Well of course it's what you're doing - except they've squrrzed you all onto half of their estate while they work on the other half - I reckon.