PDA

View Full Version : New Installation: Crossed Line

jamesms
28-11-2009, 15:30
Hi all

I've just joined as we switched from Talk Talk (my wife's choice before we lived together, OK?) after the broadband became unusable every evening at 6pm dead until midnight.

Virgin media seemed logical as our tv reception is lousy and we cannot put up a dish. We asked to transfer the existing phone number.

So we had cable tv basic, broadband and fixed phone installed the Thursday before last, my wife staying home to let in the engineer. I was first able to look at it on Saturday and spent an hour calling broadband support to enable the service.

But while on hold, another subscriber kept picking up the phone as if it was a party line and asking me to get off the line so she could use her phone.

Subsequently, we tried calling our number: it rings, but the other subscriber can pick up first. If she doesn't, leaving voicemail doesn't seem to show up on our service, so we presume they are being left on hers. In speaking on our party line, she has said she is on Virgin as well, but understandably doesn't want to say where she lives. (I presme if it is a box problem she may be in our road).

Not that we use the home phone that much, but this does seem worrying from a privacy and billing point of view.

Interestingly, ringing from the old Talk Talk line, which was meant to be cancelled on the same day, shows Caller ID as being the ported number.

We have attempted to get a Virgin engineer to come back, but on both occasions (the latest today), the engineer never shows, and calling the support number they tell us "The visit was cancelled: we received a call saying everything was sorted out".

To reschedule another visit, we have to again take an afternoon off work so someone can check our phone. I would have thought the problem would be possible to locate at box level or in the exchange (although of course I understand the need to check our phone afterwards)?

Is this a common sort of fault? If anyone has any thoughts as to what seems reasonable to expect or ask from Virgin, I'd appreciate it.

Best

James MS
Kilburn, London

Robisme
01-12-2009, 22:41
my daughter just got her package connected, allocated her a phone number that belonged to someone else when I tried ringing her, it was another address, not she has to wait 2 weeks before a tech guy can come and sort it out :(, very clever,,,,,not

jamesms
01-12-2009, 23:33
Update: after three more phone calls a manager agreed to send an engineer to inspect boxes etc without us having to be at home. The engineer discovered a jumper link in the junction box connecting us to another subscriber.

So all is now well. Just a shame it took a total of 6 hours of phone calls over two weeks to get it done!