PDA

View Full Version : No VM van parking = NO INTRAWEBS FOR YOU.

csf04
26-11-2009, 18:26
WOW - a quick search returned a forum of issues with Virgin Media!!! Here is problem with installation, if anyone cares to listen (or read)...

I went in store to purchase XXL Broadband on 5.11.09. The next available appointment was 02.12.09, and I was not happy with this. However, the sales assistant assured me that as a priority 50Mb customer, my appointment would be within 6-10 days and the date of 02.12.09 was just provisionary - he was very kind to offer to call customer service every few days on behalf, and if there were any cancellations, book me into the next available time/date slot.

After a few weeks, it became apparent that I would not get the broadband installed within 10 days - I did get a new appointment for 26.11.09, between 1pm-6pm. I understood it was a busy time for them, and happily obliged. I arranged to have the day off work, and ensured everything was ready for the Virgin Media Technician.

Today, at 12.30pm, I received a phone call from the Virgin Media Technician. He was on the premises, and was wondering if there was a suitable place for him to park. I advised that we did not have a car at this residence, so we did not have a car space, or similar. I asked him if he could park in the street, and he said there were no available spaces. He said if he could not park his van, he could not complete the install today. I thought this was absurd! He said he would complete some other jobs first, and return later today to see if any spaces had freed up. I suggested he find parking on another street, but he stated that if he could not park in front of the flat, he could not complete installation. He advised I shoud call Customer Service and reschedule my appointment for another day!

I called Customer Service as soon as I hung up, and after putting me on hold for 20mins whilst she called the technician, she came back on, and didn't tell me anything new - the technician could not install my broadband if he could not find parking!!! Nothing had been resolved!

At 1.25pm, the technician called back and advised he would not be returning today. I informed him my installation time was for 1pm-6pm, and that there was plenty of time to return, or send another technician. He told me he finished work at 4pm, and would not be coming back.

I called customer service, and all they could do was put my complaint in email, and forward it to someone else... who will surely forward it to someone else... who will definitely ignore it.

I'm not sure what I can do, or how I can resolve this problem for a later appointment?!?!?!?! Has any body else experienced this incompetence and unprofressionalism?

So, not only do you have to check if broadband is available to your area, you have to ensure you provide the van with a parking space.

No work, today = no pay. No parking = no broadband. FURIOUS. :mad:

Jon T
26-11-2009, 18:58
WOW - a quick search returned a forum of issues with Virgin Media!!!

Google any major provider and you'll find issues with all of them. What it doesn't tell you is the percentage of satisfied customers that provider has.

On the subject of the parking, during installs, it isn't uncommon for the installer to go back and forth to their van during the install, for4 any additional bit or tools they might need that were not deemed as required at the start.

csf04
26-11-2009, 19:02
It's like a Horoscope.. you only remember them when they're right, not the other 1,000 times they were wrong!!!

How do I resolve it, and ensure this issue doesn't arise for my next scheduled appointment??? I don't want to leave it to luck, on the chance that there is a free parking spot! It seems so inane..

joglynne
26-11-2009, 19:07
Can't you get a friend or neighbour to do you a favour and park their vehicle outside your flat then move it to another street whilst the VM installer is with you. I know it will be a of a nuisance but if you want the BB installing you will have to make it possible for the VM employee to have his equipment at hand.

csf04
26-11-2009, 19:17
Thanks for the suggestion, Jo. But I've just moved here from Australia, and don't know anyone with a car, unfortunately!

Maybe I can fashion something with some wheelie bins or some milk crates...?!?!

Chris
26-11-2009, 19:21
Wander the streets late at night and 'borrow' the first couple of traffic cones you come across.

martyh
26-11-2009, 20:13
I am in the same position as the VM installer ,I have my own van at the moment and when i do work in someones house i will not leave my van any where i cannot see it .When i use a company van (sometimes i do work for a contractor who supplies a van) i am under strict instructions not to park the van anywhere it cannot easily be seen from the house you are working in .If you live in a street were people tend to park to go to nearby shops then put a wheely bin outside your house.

Arthurgray50@blu
26-11-2009, 21:17
I have never heard so many pathetic excuses from van drivers in my life and the one about the VM engineer sums it up for, on how pathetic it is. How bad is it going to get, l was a van driver for 20 years, and my governors motto was, NO DELIVERY, NO WAGES. I used to drive a van full of BOOZE, and that was worth MORE than a cable van or a parcel van. the most value l carried on my van was worth in excess of £20.000 and l had to park anywhere to get a delivery done, up 15 flights of stairs, in the next street to where l lived, how pathetic. The next time l have an engineer call at my house to do a repair job and he cannot find anywhere to park, so can't do the job, and l lose wages through waiting in for them, they can stick there equipment up the jacksy - pathetic.

sollp
26-11-2009, 21:45
I have never heard so many pathetic excuses from van drivers in my life and the one about the VM engineer sums it up for, on how pathetic it is. How bad is it going to get, l was a van driver for 20 years, and my governors motto was, NO DELIVERY, NO WAGES. I used to drive a van full of BOOZE, and that was worth MORE than a cable van or a parcel van. the most value l carried on my van was worth in excess of £20.000 and l had to park anywhere to get a delivery done, up 15 flights of stairs, in the next street to where l lived, how pathetic. The next time l have an engineer call at my house to do a repair job and he cannot find anywhere to park, so can't do the job, and l lose wages through waiting in for them, they can stick there equipment up the jacksy - pathetic.

Right then, pathetic i think not, you may have once been a Van driver, fair enough, how long ago? In todays world of working in busy city's with absolutely nowhere to park without having a parking ticket,being towed away,vans being broken into ect it's an absolute nightmare, some companies might pay the parking fines, many company's won't other than do your job but we won't pay the fines, so what option do you have, take the risk pay the £120 fines,(being reduced to £60 if paid with 28 days) have your van towed away, then have to pay the parking fine and storage/ towage fee's.

At least the installer had the decency to keep the customer well informed, so as for it being Incompetent and unproffessional i think not.

Would you be willing to pay for the parking fee's/fines that the installer will get because of this?? No thought not.

I believe VM will also ask these questions but every time i have had to have Sky out to fix a fault at my house they have alway asked:

1: Is there parking outside the house.
2: Is it off road or on the street.
3: Are there parking restrictions, if so can a permit be issued to the Engineer when he arrives.
4: If the parking cannot be outside the house, how far away will it be.

And there are a few more i can't remember.

So put yourself in there shoes for once, you can't just sling your Van/lorry about nowadays, health and Saftey will dictate you cannot lug heavy equipment around by yourself ect ect.

Better still Arthurgray50@blu, go drive around London and pretend to be a lorry/van drive for the day, first get to the place within your appointed time slot, then find a parking space that will accomodate your vehicle, next find a parking space right outside the property/business your delivering to as you still, then get a parking permit from the customer, thats of course if they have one because no one asked them to provide one. Have either a bag of change or a credit card ready to pay the parking meter, they vary in price and also the time vary's, say 40p for 5mins or .... so if your not near the property you will have to keep running out and feeding the meter, if you have to park on yellow's well you take a chance but most city's they will have put a ticket on your window screen within half an hour,( i can confim this as i was ticketed with 30 mins parking on yellow lines in London a couple of days ago, had to take the chance, had no where else to park, so i have a £120 parking fine, a fine for giving you, the customer a service, oh yes, thanks for that i hear.).

Like lots of companies now H/S, driving policys, behaviours of the employee, will not allow for this any more.

martyh
26-11-2009, 22:37

you need to get real Arthur ,in my van at any given time there is approx£2500 worth of tools all paid for by me ,there is no way that van gets left out of my sight .I have been known to ask(politely)my customers neighbours to move their cars so i can get parked .

Arthurgray50@blu
26-11-2009, 23:12
I was a van driver up till 2008, when l was made redundant, l have driven round London and some major cities in the UK, in the centre of London etc, so l do know about being a delivery driver, l know about the hassle from Parking Attendants and wheel clampers, l was working outside Bow Street nick, and had to go up 5 flights of stairs, looking out the window on each floor all the time, I appreciate when you have self employed guys with there tools etc, why it is everyone gets the wrong idea,.

My employer had a secruity alarm on my van, BUT l still had to deliver the goods or l wouldn't get paid. You do get problems when doing deliveries, l can vouch for that, what l am saying is that some drivers will do and say anything to get out of doing a delivery, like ' Iv broken down,' someones nick the van' got a puncture etc, you name it l have told a customers it.

martyh
26-11-2009, 23:36
I was a van driver up till 2008, when l was made redundant, l have driven round London and some major cities in the UK, in the centre of London etc, so l do know about being a delivery driver, l know about the hassle from Parking Attendants and wheel clampers, l was working outside Bow Street nick, and had to go up 5 flights of stairs, looking out the window on each floor all the time, I appreciate when you have self employed guys with there tools etc, why it is everyone gets the wrong idea,.

My employer had a secruity alarm on my van, BUT l still had to deliver the goods or l wouldn't get paid. You do get problems when doing deliveries, l can vouch for that, what l am saying is that some drivers will do and say anything to get out of doing a delivery, like ' Iv broken down,' someones nick the van' got a puncture etc, you name it l have told a customers it.

Arthur ,with all due respect being a delivery driver does not entail leaving your van unatended for long periods of time with valuable tools in them .
and by the way i have sat in que's of traffic because a driver has just stopped in the middle of the road to make a delivery

Peter_
26-11-2009, 23:41

Being a delivery driver is rather different to being a install engineer, plumber or any other trade that comes to your property as the delivery van and the load are the property of the company, whereas the install engineer actually owns his tools and cannot afford for them to be stolen because no tools means no work until you replace your tools, so get real and think about the bigger picture.

csf04
27-11-2009, 00:28
Hey guys, thanks for your input on this issue - I hadn't considered that it would be a problem for van drivers, etc and I do appreciate the different point of view. It's made me understand where the van driver was coming from.

However, my frustration is that I wasn't informed that parking would be a concern. The Welcome Guide Start Up Kit I was sent did not indicate that installation would be completed, pending parking and I was never advised, otherwise.

If that was the case, I would have made more of an effort to ensure that there was a parking space was available to him as I had waited 3 weeks for this installation date, and taken time off work. To have this result is truly frustrating.

My only worry now is that if I make another appointment, I can't guarentee that it will get done on the day due to parking - and I am back at square one. As you suggested, my only remedy would be to stake out a parking spot, and hope I'm lucky enough that no one will move the cones throughout the day etc etc - there are too many factors I can't control, and I would be really upset if at the end of it all, my efforts, as well as the technician's efforts are all in vain.

danielf
27-11-2009, 00:51
Have a word with your neighbours. Obviously, we don't know the local situation, but if one of your neighbours' cars could be moved to make space that would solve the problem.

Acathla
27-11-2009, 01:07
What's all this 'never leave the van out of my site' nonsense?

You tell me that every VM engineer HAS to see their van from the room where he is installing services? So one eye on the TV/BB and one on teh van at all times? Don't believe it.

I don't think this is a failing of the VM engineer. As has been stated already, VM sales should have asked this information before committing to the install. If csf04 had known the situation up front then I am sure he would have found a way to satisfy the request.

I can't blame the engineer as he has probably been told the van/equipment is his responsibility and any damage/loss would have to be covered. Not known the area, maybe he was wise not to park several streets away.

That being said, some kind of common sense has to prevail. If the quoted installation time was up to 6pm, then someone should still have made effort to get out for the install. Engineer going off shift at 4pm is one thing but not handing the job on to someone else is a bit mis-managed.

I've had VM engineers coming at 7/8pm to fix issues under instructions of area managers, it can be done - if VM are willing enough. Maybe they don't need any new customers?

mikegreen
27-11-2009, 12:38
Google any major provider and you'll find issues with all of them. What it doesn't tell you is the percentage of satisfied customers that provider has.

On the subject of the parking, during installs, it isn't uncommon for the installer to go back and forth to their van during the install, for4 any additional bit or tools they might need that were not deemed as required at the start.

All very true but...it does not make a shoddy situation any less shoddy does it.

As someone who has also 'suffered' the non-existant install I think the OP has every right to be :mad: :td: :shocked: (in no particular order).

pabscars
27-11-2009, 13:23
you need to get real Arthur ,in my van at any given time there is approx£2500 worth of tools .

So where do you park your van at night then :D:D

Arthurgray50@blu
27-11-2009, 15:33
Firsly, let me say l know exactly where people are coming from and parking etc, if you go anywhere in the Centre of London, parking for delivery guys is a nightmare or should l say a total nightmare, l have every sympathy with guys that own there own stuff, and don't get me wrong, l feel sorry for you, if people know the area around Piccadilly in London you will know what l am talking about.

What a major problem is that the EMPLOYER does NOT tell the EMPLOYEE if there are any problems in a certain area, VM have a major problem in this, in the times that l have had them here, they have not once asked the question, can l park, are there yellow lines, are there time limits etc. The most major problem where l live is l live within the boundaries of Twickenham RFU, and EACH time there is a 'special event' that is what they call it now, my area is swamped with little hitlers giving out tickets like confetti. We had an engineer visit on a 'special event' day, and we told VM to cancel it due to this, VM told us, they MUST turn up on the day, they didn't give a monkeys for the engineer, as long as the job got done, This is what l am saying.

mikkyh
27-11-2009, 16:59
The VM driver has to park somewhere VERY near to the house because in nearly every installation, the technician will actually have to keep going backwards and forwards to do a majority of things, including things like making a call to someone at HQ, getting some more tools, or getting some equipment.

It's not really the technician's fault, also he would need to be able to see it at all times because if it got stolen, that's a lot of money's worth of equipment; tools and van (lol).

Arthurgray50@blu
27-11-2009, 17:38
It is up to the company ie VM, to arrange with the customer to be accomadating where possible with parking. It is the DRIVER that always takes the flack, l always remember l had to take 30 cases of champagne up to the top floor of an office block for a party, and haf way through the delivery, l saw that l was being clamped by there OWN secruity staff, l told them, you either take the clamp off, or l take the champagne back, they refused, so l took all the stuff back, this is what delivery drivers have to do, and l left the van there, it cost the company £200

But for drivers, there is always a way of doing the job.

JayJay
27-11-2009, 19:40
As a tech for VM I would like to say parking is a pain in the ass! I have to rush some jobs and keep an eye on the van. Ive even been working in a cabinet next to the van whilst parked in a street which had pay and display, the hitler didnt bother to ask me how long i was going to be, i just happened to turn around and see im lift my wiper and slap a £30 fine for no pay and display. HE COULD SEE ME IN THE CAB!

Its hard for us you know, any installer, any job! Where just trying to make a living when one parking fine can cost us a days wages.

fireman328
27-11-2009, 20:27
I just leave my blue light on the dashboard.

---------- Post added at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:23 ----------

I just leave my blue light on the dash !

Acathla
28-11-2009, 00:19
whilst parked in a street which had pay and display

But you had your pay and display ticket clearly visible didn't you?

People do realise that van drivers (for whatever the reason) are not exempt from parking charges unless at a dedicated delivery zone?

If you incur charges whilst on a business job then it gets claimed back via expenses. You can't simply park where you want and use the excuse that you were working near by. Doesn't work like that.

martyh
28-11-2009, 00:26

People do realise that van drivers (for whatever the reason) are not exempt from parking charges unless at a dedicated delivery zone?

If you incur charges whilst on a business job then it gets claimed back via expenses. You can't simply park where you want and use the excuse that you were working near by. Doesn't work like that.

he was working you don't need to buy a ticket if you are working in the street (at least in newcastle)straight from a traffic wardens mouth

Acathla
28-11-2009, 00:37
he was working you don't need to buy a ticket if you are working in the street (at least in newcastle)straight from a traffic wardens mouth

If that's true then I apologise. Never heard of that rule before tbh.

webcrawler2050
28-11-2009, 00:38
I understand the installer on this one I'm afraid. If he is a subbie, which he very likely to be is, all the tools will be his, he may pay a rental charge for the van and as a subbie, he will be liable for any tickets / fines etc.

I think is common sense really, if you havnt got a parking space, where is he going to park? When booking your next apointment, advise them of the parking situation.

csf04
28-11-2009, 12:12
I totally understand the Engineer's position in regards to parking the van safely.. really, I do. But I don't think he made an honest attempt to do the job on the day. He called me at 1.30pm, to tell me he wouldn't be coming back? That is unacceptable.

I wish they would consider my situation too. I held up my end of the deal, and was available on the day they requested, from 1pm-6pm. I am currently a temp, and so if I don't go to work, I don't get paid. I lost a day's wage, and wasted the Engineer's, and my time, because of something inane like parking - which, had I been advised, I would have arranged.

I called VM to reschedule, and they have booked me in for a 2nd install on the 22nd Dec. I'll have to take another day off work without pay to ensure I am there. I have also contacted the council, to arrange for a temporary parking pass to be issued, which will cost me more money. This means it will get installed 7wks after I signed up on 05.11.09, when I was promised it in 6-10 days, and it will cost me two days' pay, and the parking permit fee.

You can see how frustrating it is for me.

webcrawler2050
28-11-2009, 12:39
He called me at 1.30pm, to tell me he wouldn't be coming back?

Atleast he called to be honest, manyier techs wouldn't of even bothered phoning you back.

To be fair I see both sides. I understand the techs point and I understand yours aswell.

csf04
28-11-2009, 12:47
Shouldn't VM be protecting their brand a little more, and ensuring that these installations are fulfilled?

Does this happen quite often? Or am I in the minority?

webcrawler2050
28-11-2009, 12:55
Shouldn't VM be protecting their brand a little more, and ensuring that these installations are fulfilled?

Does this happen quite often? Or am I in the minority?

The same could be said about shouldnt a VM fitter be protecting his kit in his van and his van?

csf04
28-11-2009, 13:16
I meant, shouldn't VM ensure that they are protecting both their engineers, and their customer, by requesting that parking should be made, readily available for the van.

I'm not trying to blame anyone here. I'm trying to figure out how VM could let something like this happen, knowing the Engineer's position with his equipment. And they can't just reschedule appointments without p*ssing people off.

JayJay
29-11-2009, 08:54

No i didnt have a pay and display ticket as the cabinet i needed to access was next to an empty space which I parked the van, I was there 5 mins tops. The traffic warden walked onto the road looked at my dash board, walked around the back of the van, took a picture of my van and slapped a ticket on the windscreen, as i turnt around finishing what I had done in the cab all about 5 mins worth of work, I had a £30 charge.

Ill be honest, I flipped my lid at the parking warden. He quickly got out of the street. When I went back to the customers house with parking fine in hand, I was laughed at. :mad:

Arthurgray50@blu
29-11-2009, 13:17
Everyone is having a go in this thread on this subject, in all the years that l have been a delivery driver, traffic wardens what ever we call them and also private clampers are a law unto themself, In fact BT engineers have a life a riley in my view, as when they get a ticket someone goes and pay the ticket, l have often got tickets in my job, but my employer told me that after five tickets, l would have to pay for the following. VM have a duty to there customer to insure they get the work done, surely they can make an arrangement with local councils or something to get permits.

When l got made redundant from my last job as a driver, l decided that was it, l had, had enough of all the stress of it.

rogerdraig
29-11-2009, 13:59
perhaps they should arrange to do installs outside of normal hours for peek parking

reduce congestion an all that ;)

i can see it can be a pain for the driver but if a company is selling a product then its up to them to make sure its deliverable

webcrawler2050
29-11-2009, 14:01
Everyone is having a go in this thread on this subject, in all the years that l have been a delivery driver, traffic wardens what ever we call them and also private clampers are a law unto themself, In fact BT engineers have a life a riley in my view, as when they get a ticket someone goes and pay the ticket, l have often got tickets in my job, but my employer told me that after five tickets, l would have to pay for the following. VM have a duty to there customer to insure they get the work done, surely they can make an arrangement with local councils or something to get permits.

When l got made redundant from my last job as a driver, l decided that was it, l had, had enough of all the stress of it.

I don't see this to be the fault of VM. I dont think Virgin should pay for the tickets, it's just "another" overhead that may bump our prices up. I would rather they put the money into UK staff and or the Network.

If the customer, can't provide parking then thats the customers issue. Not Virgins. Of course, they will do their best but I dont think it's right they should risk it.

martyh
29-11-2009, 14:17
I don't see this to be the fault of VM. I dont think Virgin should pay for the tickets, it's just "another" overhead that may bump our prices up. I would rather they put the money into UK staff and or the Network.

If the customer, can't provide parking then thats the customers issue. Not Virgins. Of course, they will do their best but I dont think it's right they should risk it.

have to agree there ,surely common sense dictates that if you're having any work done in your house then make sure the contractor can get parked somewere close to the house .Even taking away the issue of parking tickets it can be very hard for vans to park in some streets many times i have pulled up outside a house were i am due to work and the cars are so densly double parked you couldn't get a fire engine down ,and if i am fitting windows then i need to park outside the house not in the next street or 7 doors down

rogerdraig
29-11-2009, 14:17

customer issue ?

no its the companies issue

webcrawler2050
29-11-2009, 14:21
have to agree there ,surely common sense dictates that if you're having any work done in your house then make sure the contractor can get parked somewere close to the house .Even taking away the issue of parking tickets it can be very hard for vans to park in some streets many times i have pulled up outside a house were i am due to work and the cars are so densly double parked you couldn't get a fire engine down ,and if i am fitting windows then i need to park outside the house not in the next street or 7 doors down

Agreed. Especially in new build areas, where your be lucky to get a moped down the street :D

customer issue ?

no its the companies issue

No it's the customers issues. If the customer can't provide parking, then it's the customers issue.

Arthurgray50@blu
29-11-2009, 15:06
What the biggest problem we have in this thread, Is that firstly, VM should arrange with the customers for suitable parking arrangements, and l believe that should engineers get tickets, then VM should pay the tickets, and this about then VM would put the price up, absolute tosh, VM have all this advert about giving freebies to new customers, well they can't be short of a few quid can then, or are engineers self employed, it is different for drivers, as multi drop work, you are there for about 10/15 minutes, whereas VM / Sky are there for a max three /four hours, so therefore it is down to VM to find out about parking for the engineer, BEFORE he arrives - its called common sense.

martyh
29-11-2009, 15:10
maybe if a ticket is issued then vm can apeal it or even better have some form of agreement with the local authority
but were tickets are not the issue then the customer has to be warned that it is up to them to provide a space or get charged as if they weren't in at the time of the appointment

Arthurgray50@blu
29-11-2009, 16:10
I can tell you a funny story about a VM engineer we booked, We arranged for an instal, the engineer arrived at my door, put a card through, and walked away, when we looked at the card, it said ' SORRY, AS YOU WEREN'T IN, WE COULD NOT CARRY OUT THE WORK' l ran out to the van, and his cheek was, as you weren't in mate, l will arrange to come back, it took another week.

rogerdraig
29-11-2009, 16:54
Agreed. Especially in new build areas, where your be lucky to get a moped down the street :D

No it's the customers issues. If the customer can't provide parking, then it's the customers issue.

no if they want it that way then they need to advertise so ( that is we sell to people we can park in front of only ! )

till then its up to them to provide the service

that could be by putting driver and mate on a van

or

arranging delivery outside of peek hours

or if they have some initiative as the EU is putting BB as a human right getting some dispensation for install repair as do gas water etc who park where they wish

Peter_
29-11-2009, 17:02
that could be by putting driver and mate on a van

or

arranging delivery outside of peak hours

Not going to happen due to cost.

rogerdraig
29-11-2009, 17:09
Not going to happen due to cost.

why they cant work shifts like a lot of other people

more companies need to start thinking about doing work deliveries after 5 anyway

apart from the customers then not needing to take time off work its bound to help with any environmental goals they have as it would be less likely they will get stuck in traffic

JayJay
29-11-2009, 17:14
Crickey rogermevans, I dont think you really know the hours we do work!

martyh
29-11-2009, 17:23

more companies need to start thinking about doing work deliveries after 5 anyway

apart from the customers then not needing to take time off work its bound to help with any environmental goals they have as it would be less likely they will get stuck in traffic

but how does an engineer park if there isn't a space anywhere ?
and don't you think that sometimes customers can be a little too demanding they can't insist on having services installed and not taking time out of their own schedule and then blaming the provider if they havn't done anything to help. The problem we have is we have lived with the mentality of "the customer is always right" for too long and believe me alot of the time they are wrong

Peter_
29-11-2009, 17:28

Those guys work long hours and in most places after 1700 people start to come home and parking places really do become a premium.

So where does that leave us, do we have a 2nd driver circling while the install takes place or does the engineer use a pushbike to get to his jobs, both unworkable solutions and meant as a joke.:D

JayJay
29-11-2009, 17:33
Moldova, dont give the company anymore ideas LOL!

rogerdraig
29-11-2009, 17:41
Those guys work long hours and in most places after 1700 people start to come home and parking places really do become a premium.

So where does that leave us, do we have a 2nd driver circling while the install takes place or does the engineer use a pushbike to get to his jobs, both unworkable solutions and meant as a joke.:D

depends doesnt it thats why i said shifts

my street is empty all day but my mums near town is packed all day and like a ghost town after 6

other driver could just park further away i heard they invented these boxes that you can talk to other people on to get him to come back ;)

martyh
29-11-2009, 17:52
depends doesnt it thats why i said shifts

my street is empty all day but my mums near town is packed all day and like a ghost town after 6

other driver could just park further away i heard they invented these boxes that you can talk to other people on to get him to come back ;)

and you would be happy paying for a man to sit in a van doing nothing ?
don't you realise that VM are there to make money
as with most industries profit margins are down to the bare bones at the moment even out of recession i can't imagine a lot of profit being made on installs so the idea of having spare men sitting around i find laughable

Maggy
29-11-2009, 17:56
but how does an engineer park if there isn't a space anywhere ?
and don't you think that sometimes customers can be a little too demanding they can't insist on having services installed and not taking time out of their own schedule and then blaming the provider if they havn't done anything to help. The problem we have is we have lived with the mentality of "the customer is always right" for too long and believe me alot of the time they are wrong

A day's work is worth £100 before tax to me..So I would be peed to pass up a day's certain work only to be left without the reason for staying home being sorted out..and if a day's pay was only £30 I'd be just as peed to be messed about like that.

I personally think the engineer has forgotten that he is in a service industry and that he has to make concessions especially if someone is prepared to actually pay for his services..I'd have thought a recession would have honed his instincts as to what is an unacceptable attitude.:rolleyes:

Peter_
29-11-2009, 17:56
Cost makes that as likely as a snowballs chance in hell.:D

rogerdraig
29-11-2009, 18:00
it depends doesn't it if at the moment they are not getting the jobs done or are doing a lot less because they are walking long distances then it could be that it would be more cost effective

just as planning whether it was better to do the job before 5 or after or on the weekend

as lots of the population now work all days of the week at some point ( not every week ) i dont see that these cant either

i for one would much rather wait a few days and get a time i know i will be in and the person will turn up on to next day waiting all day just incase

whether its with an extra man or just planning times i still say its the company selling the service job to get them there and how they do it not the customers

Peter_
29-11-2009, 18:11
it depends doesn't it if at the moment they are not getting the jobs done or are doing a lot less because they are walking long distances then it could be that it would be more cost effective

just as planning whether it was better to do the job before 5 or after or on the weekend

as lots of the population now work all days of the week at some point ( not every week ) i dont see that these cant either

i for one would much rather wait a few days and get a time i know i will be in and the person will turn up on to next day waiting all day just incase

whether its with an extra man or just planning times i still say its the company selling the service job to get them there and how they do it not the customers
We have engineers available from 0800 till 1900 Monday to Friday and 0800 till 1600 Saturday and in some areas at the moment we have 0800 till 1600 Sundays and in most areas this does not mean more engineers but longer hours on top of a long week.

Bookings are agreed in advance with the customer and the engineer have many jobs to do for their daily quota so if the is an issue over parking then I expect most will cancel that appointment and continue to the next booking.

I rather expect that most install or maintenance techs reading this thread have their mouths open in disbelief.

martyh
29-11-2009, 18:27
A day's work is worth £100 before tax to me..So I would be peed to pass up a day's certain work only to be left without the reason for staying home being sorted out..and if a day's pay was only £30 I'd be just as peed to be messed about like that.

I personally think the engineer has forgotten that he is in a service industry and that he has to make concessions especially if someone is prepared to actually pay for his services..I'd have thought a recession would have honed his instincts as to what is an unacceptable attitude.:rolleyes:

and what about the engineer ,having to spend twice as long on 1 job because a customer hasn't prepared properly therefore forcing him to work later or cancel an appointment later in the day .Don't you realise that probably the biggest cause of missed appointments or late turnouts is because customers weren't prepared or haven't got the common sense to prepare access for the contractor ,and i'm not just talking about parking ,sometimes furniture has to be moved ,i don't know if VM engineers are paid per job or not but if a customer isn't prepared and i had to cancell my own plans or lose money i be pretty peed off .In my position it does cost me money
Having said that VM should issue instructions to customers as to what to prepare before the engineer turns up ,this is very easily done at the time of booking the engineer ,most other companies i have worked for do

having worked in a service industry for 28 yrs i know it would be the best job in the world if it wasn't for the customers ;)

Peter_
29-11-2009, 18:39
When my own broadband was installed I pre prepared the route that I wanted the engineer to install the cable, drilled holes and even dropped plumb lines to attach the cable to and removed a floor board.

The installer was made up and said that he had never been to a property more readily prepared and the was no arguments over putting my modem exactly where I wanted it to go.

I was not even an employee of what was actually Telewest at the time but knew that the easiest way to get what I wanted was to pre prepare in advance.

If I knew about any parking issue then I would have bollards in place to keep access available until they arrived.

martyh
29-11-2009, 18:44
When my own broadband was installed I pre prepared the route that I wanted the engineer to install the cable, drilled holes and even dropped plumb lines to attach the cable to and removed a floor board.

The installer was made up and said that he had never been to a property more readily prepared and the was no arguments over putting my modem exactly where I wanted it to go.

I was not even an employee of what was actually Telewest at the time but knew that the easiest way to get what I wanted was to pre prepare in advance.

If I knew about any parking issue then I would have bollards in place to keep access available until they arrived.

WOW can i come and do some work in your house please..pretty please

Peter_
29-11-2009, 19:17
WOW can i come and do some work in your house please..pretty please
I have no front wall as it has been removed to provide paved parking for up to 3 vehicles so it would be even better for you.:)

martyh
29-11-2009, 19:21
I have no front wall as it has been removed to provide paved parking for up to 3 vehicles so it would be even better for you.:)

i'm drooling :D

csf04
30-11-2009, 00:28
We're going around in circles here. The bottom line is that VM should inform their customers at the time of making the appointment, that there should be parking available to the engineer.

I can't believe the oversight on VM's behalf. It's wasted everybody's time.

I've rescheduled, by the way - I got a date for the 22nd Dec (2months from when I signed up) and another missed day of work. Hooray.

RobboEdin
30-11-2009, 10:17
We're going around in circles here. The bottom line is that VM should inform their customers at the time of making the appointment, that there should be parking available to the engineer.

I can't believe the oversight on VM's behalf. It's wasted everybody's time.

I've rescheduled, by the way - I got a date for the 22nd Dec (2months from when I signed up) and another missed day of work. Hooray.

Are Virgin Media customers so naive or stupid that they are unaware that the installer comes with some sort of vehicle that will require to be parked somewhere?

csf04
30-11-2009, 11:18
Are Virgin Media customers so naive or stupid that they are unaware that the installer comes with some sort of vehicle that will require to be parked somewhere?

Isn't it a little arrogant to assume that your every Joe-Blow knows every aspect and inner workings of your job? You don't seem to care about the day I took off work to be there, why should I care if you get a parking ticket???

Frankly, I think your attitude is poor - nobody is blaming the driver here. I'm just saying that the customer has the right to be better informed. So get off your high-horse, and stop thinking that drivers are doing the customers a favour by even showing up.

RobboEdin
30-11-2009, 11:56
Isn't it a little arrogant to assume that your every Joe-Blow knows every aspect and inner workings of your job? You don't seem to care about the day I took off work to be there, why should I care if you get a parking ticket???

Frankly, I think your attitude is poor - nobody is blaming the driver here. I'm just saying that the customer has the right to be better informed. So get off your high-horse, and stop thinking that drivers are doing the customers a favour by even showing up.

My comment was not personal but a direct response to the sentence that I put in bold. I simply believe that it is completely unneccessary for Virgin Media to phone customers and remind them that parking is needed. I would be VERY surprised if anyone getting an install was unaware that the installer will be coming in some sort of vehicle which requires parking.

Unneccessary steps in any process just costs money which ultimately is passed on to the customer.

PS Your calling me arrogant, suggesting my attitude is poor and telling me to get off my high-horse was totally unneccessary in your response.

csf04
30-11-2009, 12:02

Don't you think that's the pot, calling the kettle black?

RobboEdin
30-11-2009, 12:12
Don't you think that's the pot, calling the kettle black?

Absolutely not. By posing it as a question, I am, in fact, suggesting that I do not believe Virgin Media customers to be naive or stupid.

csf04
30-11-2009, 12:29
Well then let me introduce you to the rhetorical question (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question). Maybe that will help explain to you, why your comment was arrogant from atop your high horse.

RobboEdin
30-11-2009, 12:48
Well then let me introduce you to the rhetorical question (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question). Maybe that will help explain to you, why your comment was arrogant from atop your high horse.

You don't need to advise me what a rhetorical question is. It is a question with an implied answer. You simply assumed the wrong implied answer to my rhetorical question. The answer to:

"Are Virgin Media customers so naive or stupid that they are unaware that the installer comes with some sort of vehicle that will require to be parked somewhere?"

is NO.

I must be more black and white in future so here is my humble opinion on your situation.

I think it is a customer responsibility to advise Virgin Media of any parking situation and to advise what provision they, the customer, has made to ensure that Virgin Media can carry out their work.

As I say, this is my opinion, which I am allowed to have. I know it's the opposite to your opinion but equally valid.

At least my contribution to this forum extends much further than a single rant about your problem with parking at your home.

Paul
30-11-2009, 13:05
Enough of the arguing.