PDA

View Full Version : Un-wanted Calls.

chrispy2000
25-11-2009, 18:11
This has probable been asked before, but I can’t find an answer anywhere.

Who do I contact at virgin about phone calls I keep getting which I don’t want. I get them at all times of day and they keep asking me who I get my gas & electric from. I’m on Telephone Preference and I’ve told them that more than once.
They say the Company is based in London, but won’t give me an address. In fact when I ask for it they hang up and one even swore at me. I have reported it to Telephone Preference, but they can’t do anything if they’re not in the UK.
I’ve tried 1471, but the number is un-known.
Is there any where I can contact about it.
Any help please.

Kymmy
25-11-2009, 19:25
VM can't do anything about it, only ones who can are OFCOM

Fill in the complaints form on TPS as they work with OFCOM in relation to these complaints

http://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/Consumer/

chrispy2000
25-11-2009, 21:03
Thanks for that, but I've already done that and they cant do anything as they have no name for the company or a number.

bw41101
25-11-2009, 23:29
I've had similar experiences myself in the past. One thing you could try is firstly bite your tongue and be very polite (to the parasite whom you are talking to) and make out that your a bit hard of hearing.

Ask the parasite whom the company is that it represents and then write down their particulars - all the time making out that you're struggling to hear them. This way (hopefully) you'll gather as much information as you can without alerting them to your ploy.

With a bit of luck you can then use this information to report them.

The only other thing that you could is is to get anonymous caller rejection installed - this way the callers won't be allowed to contact you unless they allow their number to be recorded.

Good luck and I hope you have some success.

Si thee :Sprint:

Peter_
26-11-2009, 06:26
The only other thing that you could is is to get anonymous caller rejection installed - this way the callers won't be allowed to contact you unless they allow their number to be recorded.

Some of these companies get around that by paying for a service that gets them around this and you get a message if unanswered saying "You were called today at" and again no record.:mad:

You could always get a whistle and you just say hang on a moment I will just get my bills, then you blow it and they will hang up.:D

Another ploy is to say I will just get my bills and put them on mute and put the handset down and just leave it for 10 minutes, or say hang on the is someone at the door and do the same as above.:D

chrispy2000
26-11-2009, 09:03
Thanks to you both.
The trouble with anonymous caller rejection is my son phones from work and that is always an anonymous number.
Leaving the phone on mute won't make them stop calling again.

Pauls9
26-11-2009, 09:21
Another ploy is to say I will just get my bills and put them on mute and put the handset down and just leave it for 10 minutes, or say hang on the is someone at the door and do the same as above.:DJust a small word of caution here. Tried this myself and got anonymous calls in the middle of the night for two weeks. :(

chrispy2000
26-11-2009, 10:43
Just got another one. This time all they did was ask to speak to Mr.... then hung up.

Kymmy
26-11-2009, 10:45
My favourite is to sound interested, go through all the details, even give them false details and then finally at the very end admit to the false details and just say "Well as you've wasted my time I thought I'd waste yours"

Remember they're on commision, they try to withold thier details purely due to the fact that they know they're doing something wrong.. So string them along, waste thier time and reduce thier sales and calls for the day :D

chrispy2000
26-11-2009, 11:32
When they phoned this morning they didn't give me time to say anything they just hung up.

bw41101
26-11-2009, 13:29
The trouble with anonymous caller rejection is my son phones from work and that is always an anonymous number.

That's easily rectified - one just dials 1470 before the main number and this disables the caller witheld option for that particular call.;)

Symples!

Si Thee :Sprint

danielf
26-11-2009, 13:33
Not cheap, but truecall (http://www.truecall.co.uk/) seems effective.

Pog66
26-11-2009, 15:23
That's easily rectified - one just dials 1470 before the main number and this disables the caller witheld option for that particular call.;)

Not sure that would work if his son is dialling through a work switchboard facility