PDA

View Full Version : Last ditch attempt to try and get through to someone who can help.

Milambar
25-11-2009, 14:10
Ok, back earlier this year, I signed up for the Sam Knows broadband quality test being run by Sam Knows, on behalf of Virgin Media. I was accepted, and was sent a Linksys router, bloxy blue thing with two aerials.

It worked for about a week, then I started having general networking issues, so disconnected it as part of the troubleshooting process. The networking issues were resolved in due time, and I reconnected the linksys device. This time the supplied router did not work. It just sat there flashing the power light at me, doing nothing else.

I contacted the trials support team by email, and got a reply back off a gentleman, telling me to power off the linksys device, press the reset switch for 10 seconds and power it back on. This I did, with no change. The device just sits there, blinking a light at me.

A bit of googling, tells me that a flashing power light means "corrupted firmware", I emailed them back, and pointed this out, which they ignored, and mailed back, asking if my own router was doing MAC filtering. I replied negative.

I got no further replies from the trials support team, so put the device back into its packaging, and put it in a cupboard.

Some 2 months later they contacted me, asking me why the device isn't sending them any data. I forwarded a copy of all the emails, and wrote a short synopsis of the situation, and waited a reply.

Today I got an email that I MUST connect the device, and a nice little help sheet in html format, telling me to reset the device and then it will work.

I am at my wits end, its like talking to a brick wall. I am sat here using a netbook over the wireless, as its the only device that will work. None of my wired devices will work as they are connected to the non-functional linksys device, just to be compliant.

Thankfully my wifi bypasses that stupid device, it just means I can no longer play online games.

Contacting the newsgroup or telephone support is not an option, as they have nothing to do with the trial support, I believe.

Given that they are more or less forcing me to connect my computers via a device that is non-functional, I am not able to recieve the service that I am paying for, and the trial support team does not seem to be listening to me.

I hope that someone can suggest how to get someone to actually take charge of this issue, and find a resolution.

Thanks.

Acathla
25-11-2009, 16:54
Take your little box, stick it in a box and send it back to VM with a nice little letter stating that due to the helpfulness of VM to sort out the problems you have identified, you have made the decision to remove yourself from the trial.

Sorted :)

sniper007
26-11-2009, 10:16
You do seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Two options:

1: Write to cancel and send it back as above.
2: Shove it in a wardrobe/loft and forget about it forever. Don't waste time worrying.

Peter_
26-11-2009, 17:25
Take your little box, stick it in a box and send it back to VM with a nice little letter stating that due to the helpfulness of VM to sort out the problems you have identified, you have made the decision to remove yourself from the trial.

Sorted :)
It has nothing to do with Virgin and is unsupported by technical support so you would just be wasting your own money posting the device to them as the people to contact are the ones in the paperwork or any emails you have been sent.

Acathla
27-11-2009, 11:33
OK. Send it back to whoever is on the paperwork.

I prefer sniper007's suggestion though. Stick it in the loft and forget about it!

Peter_
27-11-2009, 11:40
OK. Send it back to whoever is on the paperwork.

I prefer sniper007's suggestion though. Stick it in the loft and forget about it!
I would go for the free option of the loft.:D