PDA

View Full Version : Wireless configuration with D-Link router

andreconde
23-11-2009, 00:58
Hi guys,

First time here and I would really appreciate some help.

Situation:
I am a Mac user and put 50Mb recently. The "engineer" came but didn't bring the router. Some hours after came other guy to deliver the router but didn't come in and just said: "To install follow the CD steps."
As I'm a Mac OS X user and there is no software for OS X I tried to configure it myself. No luck.
I get wireless on my laptop but no internet connection. I guess I don't know the DNS and all other stuff. Putting it auto doesn't go anywhere...
To get better my phone doesn't work since day 1 and so I can't call Virgin and I don't want to be losing all my credit on my mobile just to wait hours for a resolution, being on hold, so I decided to ask for some help here. Hope anyone here can help me.

PS: I am Portuguese and recently came to the UK so I don't know who is the authority for communications in the UK, could someone tell me? I want to do a written complaint about Virgin Media.
After realizing all of this I called the sales guy (that came here at first) who told me would resolve the situation and did nothing (yeah because I have no way to contact them and although this is 21st century no one is obligated to have a mobile phone to call them.)

To get things better I've received my first bill and they are charging way much than what was in the agreement.
Plus: Pay for the "manned-installation" when he didn't get anything working? They must be kidding me...

My router is a D-Link DIR-615.

Thanks in advance to anyone who could help.

André

moaningmags
23-11-2009, 02:19
Connect an ethernet cable from port 1,2,3, or 4 on the router to your mac.
Open a web browser, type in 192.168.0.1 - you will be asked for a username and password, username is admin password should be left blank and press enter.

Once into the D-Link config page on the top left hand side select Internet Connection then select Manual Internet Connection Setup.
Select Dynamic from the options, go to the bottom of the page select Save Settings.

Then click Wireless Connection on the top left hand side, look for SSID name, delete the dlink name and type of your own, one that you can easily identify.
Under Security Mode select WPA/WPA2
Under WPA/WPA2 Mode look for password, passphrase, security key, by default it should already have a mixture of letters and numbers - delete this out and type in a password with a minimum of 8 characters - something you will remember but that your neighbours can't guess, click Save Settings.
When this refreshes click onto Time and Date, again at the top left hand side, once you're in that page select GMT - Greenwich Mean Time, then click Synchronise, this should now show our date and time - click Save Settings.
Once the page refreshes click Logout, again top left hand side.
Turn off the modem and the router, turn modem on wait for lights to settle then turn the router on, again wait for lights to settle, remove the ethernet cable from your mac and tell it to look for your wireless network, click onto the one you named and select connect, type in the password you created (8 characters minimum) and that should be you up and running.

HTH
Mags

andreconde
23-11-2009, 02:39
Thanks but dynamic doesn't work.

I need the info for:
Host Name
Primary DNS Address
Secondary DNS Address
MTU

moaningmags
23-11-2009, 02:50
If you have Cable Broadband you leave all of that blank.

Dynamic means the router asks the modem for all of that information.

andreconde
23-11-2009, 03:02
Yes I have 50MB broadband but isn't there a way to drive it putting the VM's info in? It gives me wireless signal and network but no internet connection from the modem.

It just doesn't work in automatic/dynamic mode.

MovedGoalPosts
23-11-2009, 06:12
When you are swapping connections onto the router from the computer are you rebooting the modem? The modem won't see the different device connected to it without rebooting.

Is this a Virgin Media Supplied router? They normally supply Netgear. If it isn't VM supplied Virgin won't help you but if it is then you can call them.

andreconde
23-11-2009, 06:42
Yes, I'm rebooting and yes, this is a VM supplied router.

Peter_
23-11-2009, 06:53
When you are swapping connections onto the router from the computer are you rebooting the modem? The modem won't see the different device connected to it without rebooting.

Is this a Virgin Media Supplied router? They normally supply Netgear. If it isn't VM supplied Virgin won't help you but if it is then you can call them.
We have been supplying the D Link DIR615 router since August this year which will eventually supersede the Netgear WNR2000 router.

andreconde
23-11-2009, 07:07
Maybe you could help staff member...

MacmillaN
23-11-2009, 07:10
What is wrong with the Netgear WNR2000 router?
Why did Virgin decide to change companies for their supplied routers?

I ask this because the engineer arrived with a Netgear WNR2000 router when the engineer was around and he was running the speed test on the virgin speed site, he said we usually try it three times 1st time was around 48kbs second time was around 29kps then he reset the router and tried again and got 48kps, then he asked me to sign a form confirming the speed.

I also notice that my speed can be fast one minute and then slow the next, could this be a router issue?
I have checked that it is running the latest firmware.

Peter_
23-11-2009, 07:16
Maybe you could help staff member...
What Mags has posted above should have worked so I would now advise the OP to call in after 0800 and someone will walk him through setup.

50Mb support line number.

0800 052 0431

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 ----------

What is wrong with the Netgear WNR2000 router?
Why did Virgin decide to change companies for their supplied routers?

I ask this because the engineer arrived with a Netgear WNR2000 router when the engineer was around and he was running the speed test on the virgin speed site, he said we usually try it three times 1st time was around 48kbs second time was around 29kps then he reset the router and tried again and got 48kps, then he asked me to sign a form confirming the speed.

I also notice that my speed can be fast one minute and then slow the next, could this be a router issue?
I have checked that it is running the latest firmware.
We only changed the N router as all G routers are still supplied by Netgear.

If you are having wireless speed issues call in after 0800 this morning to Tech Support which is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone.

It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

MacmillaN
23-11-2009, 07:18
I thought the sorry the Netgear WNR2100 was a N router.

Peter_
23-11-2009, 07:21
I thought the Netgear WNR2000 was a N router.
Yes it is and we have changed to the D Link DIR615 N router, but all supplied G routers are the NetgearWGR614 router.

MacmillaN
23-11-2009, 07:22
was it changed due to problems with the speed?
dropping at any moment.

Peter_
23-11-2009, 08:26
was it changed due to problems with the speed?
dropping at any moment.
No more likely a better deal offered.