PDA

View Full Version : Removing LNB from old Sky dish

Turkey Machine
22-11-2009, 18:53
I salvaged a Sky dish that was out the back of my house. It has an LNB on it, but since connecting it up and aligning it correctly indoors (not allowed to put it on the house), it doesn't pick up any channels at all with the FTA receiver I have. My deduction at the moment is that the LNB's screwed, but I can't see a way to remove the darn thing. It is a very old Sky dish, anybody got any helpful suggestions?

Kymmy
22-11-2009, 18:56
Are you sure it aligned correctly?

If you were using a sat meter then the signal strength would indicate that it was working correctly otherwise if you're lining it up by sight then you probably havn't got it lined up correctly as even a single degree either way could mean no signal at all ;)

Peter_
22-11-2009, 19:13
Are you trying to use this for Freesat or similar as you can get complete kits from £23.95 from Amazon and a sattelite finder for £6.99 HERE (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=freesat+dish&x=0&y=0)

Saves trying to salvage the one you have.

Turkey Machine
22-11-2009, 19:41
I wasn't using a sat meter, and I'm 80% confident it aligned correctly. The thing about satellite frequencies is even if you're out by a degree or two, you can still pick up some channels. This picked up absolutely nothing.

Kymmy
22-11-2009, 19:53
I wasn't using a sat meter, and I'm 80% confident it aligned correctly. The thing about satellite frequencies is even if you're out by a degree or two, you can still pick up some channels. This picked up absolutely nothing.

That used to be very true with analogue but not with digital ;) once the signal level drops below the threashold then the picture goes totally.. Get a cheap sat finder, even I use one and I've put up more directional antenna's that I care to remember

Turkey Machine
22-11-2009, 19:54
Fine, I'll go source one. I have a family member who I'm confident will allow me to test that the box isn't screwed like the LNB could be.

dave6x
23-11-2009, 14:57
For anyone wanting to set up a satellite dish for SKY or Freesat without a sat finder/sig strength meter or any other special tools, then you may find the advice at this link useful:

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

Although primarily aimed at caravaners, I found it helpful when I put my dish up a few years ago.