PDA

View Full Version : Help Please - sudden very slow download speeds + disconnects

burns
19-11-2009, 17:40
Hi,

Over the last couple of days I been experiencing really slow download speeds and disconnects. I am on 20mb cable and I've never really had any problems.
I have just tried to download two files from the BBC Iplayer site which is usually pretty quick and they were both coming down around 80k.

Here are my readings:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 57
Downstream Frequency : 435000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.4
dBUpstream Lock : Locked

Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 44.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Not sure what any of that means.

I've also just run a few test over at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/) and it seems to averaging 1.5mb!

I've recently upgraded to a win7 pc but It has been fine up to yesterday.

I'm in the Swindon area.

Many Thanks

winchester
19-11-2009, 18:09
Hi,

This is my first post and I have no technical knowledge at all but for a few weeks had a really slow connection - the engineer called yesterday and gave me a new modem - taking the older silver one away and the connection is super fast now (fingers crossed). I am in the Hertfordshire area

Sephiroth
19-11-2009, 18:41
Hi,

Over the last couple of days I been experiencing really slow download speeds and disconnects. I am on 20mb cable and I've never really had any problems.
I have just tried to download two files from the BBC Iplayer site which is usually pretty quick and they were both coming down around 80k.

Here are my readings:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 57
Downstream Frequency : 435000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 36.4
dBUpstream Lock : Locked

Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 44.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Not sure what any of that means.

I've also just run a few test over at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (http://www.speedtest.net/) and it seems to averaging 1.5mb!

I've recently upgraded to a win7 pc but It has been fine up to yesterday.

I'm in the Swindon area.

Many Thanks

have you taken modem stats before when things were OK? If so were you on 64QAM downstream or 256QAM?

rcknight
19-11-2009, 18:50
Just signed up to say that i've seen the same thing the past couple nights, getting 2mb speeds currently, in bath ... so not all that far from swindon, but not exactly close either, so may be unrelated, but could it conceivably be a regional problem/maintainence?

burns
19-11-2009, 19:33
have you taken modem stats before when things were OK? If so were you on 64QAM downstream or 256QAM?

I'm afraid I didn't.