PDA

View Full Version : modem/router keeps resetting

leggoman
16-11-2009, 15:44
Im on a 50meg connection, from day one have had all kinds of trouble.
one week no internet at all
second week some connection some of the time very slow.
three months in and still not very happy with it.

the main thing now is i have to keep unplugging modem or router to get my connection back on, and I fed up with having to do this all the time.
two days ago 20 plus time I had to do it, phoned up and was told they are working to sort it out.

two days later internet working again and all seems well.

gone out been away 30mins go to computer and internet is off again.

phone up ntl, after a bit of a chap I asked do i use torrents?

Dont we all at some time said I, reply well try not using them for 48 hours and see if that help.

then he said they are working on a patch for 50 meg and it should be out soon.??? dont know what that is about

then he said are you using a router, yes I am, take that out of line and see if its any better.

So I was looking to see if any others are having the same happen to them, Im in the Nottingham area?

And what do you think of the help given????

Thanks for reading, any one offer any better help as to why I keep needing to reset modem/router

thank

MovedGoalPosts
16-11-2009, 16:29
The basic principle of trying to connect the computer direct to the modem (no router) and seeing what happens is sound. That way you can establish if it's something in the router or conflicting with the router that causes the problem.

Asking about torrents also makes sense. If you are trying to upload / download at your maximum bandwidth that can overload things. Your network may simply stuggle to get all the acknowedgement packets out in time. It may also be overwhelmed by trying to track too many connections to other users (I know one of my older routers had that issue until I flashed it's firmware).

Is your router flashed to the current firmware? Is it owned by you or supplied by VM?

leggoman
17-11-2009, 00:49
thanks for the reply points taken on board.
I will take router out of line, but as I had this trouble before the router was used, I don't see that its going to help.
As for torrents I don't use them a great deal, and I not seeding 24/7 trying to use the internet, send emails. all at the same time, so I'm not over driving my connection.
I'll just have to put up with it, never had all this trouble on 20meg
It seems the 50meg package is not very stable yet or not at my address.

ok thanks for your help ill test with just modem and get back to them with findings and see what happens.