PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Options

flamingeck
15-11-2009, 21:11
We started with a 2Mb cable and basic TV package for about £25 a month. Since we have added a phoneline with no options and have had the free upgrade to 10Mb.

We'd really like v+ and have seen that the install cost is £75 plus 5+ a month there after. I'm quite tempted to get the internet upgraded as well, possibly 50Mb just for the upload. Theres an install cost for that alone, or so I beleive. Would they combine the install cost, or just be £75.

Currently the modem is installed in the lounge, but I'd prefer if it was upstairs next to the computer. I guess if I was paying they'd move it? I'm loathed to pay £50 for someone just to change a modem.

Any offers or tips I should be ware of?

nav007
15-11-2009, 23:50
They should be able to move the position of the modem. Would love to be optimistic but i'm unsure whether you could get a combined installation.

I'm looking to upgrade from 20mb to 50mb and in fact called last week to do so. But because i couldn't shake off the installation fee the agent on the line advised me that, if it's not urgent, to wait til maybe the end of the month or Dec, as they quite often have deals on where they install for free. Can't guarantee it's true, but hoping it is!

edit: btw, the installation fee for 50mb is currently £35 and activation is £20 (a rather hefty £55 for bb alone)

Sephiroth
16-11-2009, 10:22
For what my opinion is worth, you'd need to pay attention to your SNR if you wish to locate the cable modem away from the splitter box. As a guide, if your current SNR is 38dB or higher, then a run to your upstairs might not suffer more than, say, 3dB drop. That would be acceptable.

I can see why you'd want to do this - you can see what's happening. However, I recommend that you don't move the modem. Perhaps get a router and work wirelessly or run a Cat-5e ethernet cable from the modem to your PC. The wire is less obtrusive and the attebuation is less than the Coax.

Keep us posted.

AndyCalling
17-11-2009, 00:34
If you're going to install network cable like that, I suggest you go with CAT6 cable now so you don't have to change if you need to go over 100meg speed in the future. 5e might do it, but 6 is the gigabit standard. It depends how you do it. I'd drop the CAT6 down a cavity wall-space and fit wall sockets. I wouldn't want to have to rip it out again.