PDA

View Full Version : Error in Cable Modem log

sallan2000
15-11-2009, 20:05
Hi,

I have been experiencing dropouts in my broadband (still connected to router but router has lost WAN IP etc)

I am in G75 (ex telewest area) with a Webstar Cable Modem.

Here is the error as reported in my Cable Modem log:

Time Not Established Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response. Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Here is my signal details:

Downstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal coming from the network to your cable modem.
Downstream Status
Operational Channel ID
38 Downstream Frequency
315000000 Hz Modulation
256QAM Bit Rate
20480000 bits/sec Power Level
4.1 dBmV Signal to Noise Ratio
37.9 dB Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.
Upstream Status
Operational Channel ID
2 Upstream Frequency
25808000 Hz Modulation
16QAM Symbol Rate
768000 bits/sec Power Level
44.0 dBmV

Generally I have to power cycle the cable modem to resolve this issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks

Stevie

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

Update - now have this in the log.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

Peter_
15-11-2009, 20:25
Your power levels are fine and well within operational parameters, have you tried a direct connection to the modem to rule out any issue with the router.

Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.

Virgin also disable most of the updates as they are not required so making it look even worse.

Ignitionnet
15-11-2009, 23:54
Your power levels are fine and well within operational parameters, have you tried a direct connection to the modem to rule out any issue with the router.

Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.

Virgin also disable most of the updates as they are not required so making it look even worse.

Hmmm this isn't really true, modems when they come online receive a file name and TFTP server to pull firmware updates from as part if their config file, they don't have them 'pushed' at them they pull them, else every time you rebooted your modem you'd see a whole load of messages indicating firmware updates not for this modem received.

That log indicates that the DHCP offer made contains a field that this modem doesn't know how to process, this shouldn't be confused with modems having every update or anything else pushed at them, this is common with cable networks with multiple CPE as some may require additional option fields to function properly or be configured properly.

The T3 timeouts can happen during startup and though not ideal shouldn't be worried about so long as the modem returns to service quickly.

---------- Post added at 23:54 ---------- Previous post was at 23:49 ----------

Here's a wee example of a secure CVC certified firmware file's information in the DOCSIS config of a Motorola modem:

FileVersion = Version 6.0
03 (Net Access Control) = 1
09 (Software Upgrade File) = SB5100E-2.3.3.0-SCM00-NOSH-NNEMN.p7
32 (Manufacturer's CVC)
Organization Name: Motorola Corporation
Validity NotBefore: 010925000000Z
Validity NotAfter: 130924235959Z
Serial Number: 4d 4e 27 2d ad 34 be de 0c a1 8e 48 7c 7f 82 ca
NOTE: Informational only.
Actual file must be specified as source for giconfig.

33 (Co-signer's CVC)
Organization Name: Motorola Corporation
Validity NotBefore: 010925000000Z
Validity NotAfter: 130924235959Z
COS Serial Number: 4d 4e 27 2d ad 34 be de 0c a1 8e 48 7c 7f 82 ca

And the config in a basic insecure DOCSIS file:

SwUpgradeFilename "SB5100E-2.3.3.0-SCM00-NOSH-NNEMN.p7";
SwUpgradeServer 10.0.0.1;