PDA

View Full Version : Vm 50mb charging scam

TonyElyod
14-11-2009, 15:57
An "engineer" called to upgrade to 50Mb BB.

He swopped my Modem & router.
This took 3 minutes.

I have a Home Network with 9 machines going thru a 16 Port RJ45 NWAY LAN Ethernet Network Hub Switch.

"I dont know anything about computers, but I am going on a course in a couple of weeks"...came the reply.

"You will have to install & configure everything yourself" he replied.

He took 10 mins to drink his cup of tea & left.!!!!

VIRGIN MEDIA IS TO CHARGE ME £65.00 FOR THIS VIST.

ADMIN EDIT - LANGUAGE REMOVED.

Tony.
14-11-2009, 16:03
Perhaps when BT have upgraded their exchanges and there is an alternative Fast Internets VM will rethink their install charges. One can only live in hope!

NoKnowledge
14-11-2009, 16:08
They're not really engineers if they don't have a degree in engineering

martyh
14-11-2009, 16:09
maybe you can phone VM ,explain what happened and maybe they will refund some of the charges

v0id
14-11-2009, 16:40
They're not really engineers if they don't have a degree in engineering

yeah, more like installers, and the 'charging scam' is for installation of the modem, and the modem connected to the router.

VM/NTL/Telewest have never connected up other computers on a home network, the usual blurb from Telwest IIRC was "we don't support that"

Mick Fisher
14-11-2009, 17:14
Of course it is a scam but if VM had called it the "50meg ripoff we charge you because we can" would that make you feel any better?

If you feel you are being ripped off then just don't get 50meg till VM get the message. :)

webcrawler2050
14-11-2009, 17:58
An "engineer" called to upgrade to 50Mb BB.

He swopped my Modem & router.
This took 3 minutes.

I have a Home Network with 9 machines going thru a 16 Port RJ45 NWAY LAN Ethernet Network Hub Switch.

"I dont know anything about computers, but I am going on a course in a couple of weeks"...came the reply.

"You will have to install & configure everything yourself" he replied.

He took 10 mins to drink his cup of tea & left.!!!!

VIRGIN MEDIA IS TO CHARGE ME £65.00 FOR THIS VIST.

COMPLETE BOLLOX:mad:

50Mb is a manned install. End of. You want 50MB, you pay the fee.

it's not a "scam" if it was a "SCAM" then they would take your money and not give you anything in return. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Ben B
14-11-2009, 18:26

it's not a "scam" if it was a "SCAM" then they would take your money and not give you anything in return. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Calm Down, Yeah ;)

webcrawler2050
14-11-2009, 18:28
Calm Down, Yeah ;)

Up your viva!

Tony.
14-11-2009, 18:38

Some people on this forum have paid this and got no internets :shocked: so scam in their cases would be correct :p:

webcrawler2050
14-11-2009, 18:39
Some people on this forum have paid this and got no internets :shocked: so scam in their cases would be correct :p:

No not really. The general public use that word far too much. Enough said. Before I turn green :D

Ben B
14-11-2009, 18:58
Judging by the emoticon, too late

Stuart
14-11-2009, 19:15

Then they complain, and Virgin should come and fix it. If they don't, and the person signs up here, we can get our contacts involved and it *will* be fixed then. Simples. Not a scam though.

Peter_
14-11-2009, 19:22
They would then get their money refunded if Virginmedia where unable to provide a service so not a scam in any shape or form.

webcrawler2050
14-11-2009, 20:21
Judging by the emoticon, too late

not yet - just had a bad week :)

Paul
14-11-2009, 20:25
Did your 50MB work when he'd gone ?

If so, what is the scam exactly ?

webcrawler2050
14-11-2009, 20:29
Did your 50MB work when he'd gone ?

If so, what is the scam exactly ?

I'm assuming, as they think it's "easy" to plug in a modem and setup etc. The OP is assuming it's a "scam" where that is coming from I just don't know. Money earner, yes, Scam no.

jamiefrost
14-11-2009, 21:20
2 ways you can pay for this

accept the £65 charge, this is an average charge of ALL of the installers costs, travel time, vehicle costs etc.

Or

Pay on a open book situation, costs start when the engineer starts on his way, but if it takes 3 hours you pay all of the costs. Not so good if that happens is it.

Time and time again people look ay only their situation and apply this as the general case.

JJ

Peter_
14-11-2009, 21:25
It is quite simple with Virginmedia they offer 2 premium services which are the V+ TV service and the only 50Mb broadband service in the UK at the present time.

If you want either of these premium services installed in your property then Virginmedia will charge you for the installation of whichever service you require.

If you do not want to pay the installation charge for either of these services then walk away.

spiderplant
14-11-2009, 22:38
accept the £65 charge, this is an average charge of ALL of the installers costs, travel time, vehicle costs etc.

And the supply of the equipment. Check out the retail prices

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=672557&source=FroogleUK&medium=free&campaign=FroogleUK_InStock
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=wireless-n+router&oe=utf-8&hl=en&cid=14199056309046192304&sa=title#p

Makes £65 supplied and installed seem a bit of a bargain.

Tony.
15-11-2009, 00:04
And the supply of the equipment. Check out the retail prices

http://www.limitedgoods.com/itemView.php?ProdID=672557&source=FroogleUK&medium=free&campaign=FroogleUK_InStock
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=wireless-n+router&oe=utf-8&hl=en&cid=14199056309046192304&sa=title#p

Makes £65 supplied and installed seem a bit of a bargain.

NO you don't get these free they are hired to you, never belonging to the end user.

Using our equipment
Where we hire equipment to you it will be our property at all times and we may need to alter or replace it from time to time. For us to do this, we will need reasonable access to your home .
You are responsible for making sure that our equipment is safe and used properly at all times. To do this, you agree to do the following:
Follow the manufacturer's instructions and any other instructions we have given you;
Keep the equipment under your control (for example, you may not sell it, lend it or hire it out to anyone else, put it up as security for a loan or mortgage, or allow it to be seized under any legal process against you). You must not move our equipment from your home without our permission;
Insure any of our equipment against any loss, theft or damage for the full replacement value;
Not remove, tamper with or cross out any words or labels on our equipment ;
Take proper care at all times to prevent the loss or theft of our equipment

Welshchris
15-11-2009, 00:30
I had a cracker the other day, they offered to upgrade me to 50mb for "Free" but i had to pay £25. I said why do i have to pay that if its free? Its for Services activation. I said my services are active, you said u will upgrade for free yet i have to pay activation when they r active? lol

spiderplant
15-11-2009, 09:59
NO you don't get these free they are hired to you, never belonging to the end user.

But they still need to be paid for somehow. That could be all up front, amortised over the rental period, or, as Virgin actually do, a bit of both.

webcrawler2050
15-11-2009, 10:02
I'm afraid I don't see an argument towards this. Its not a "scam" etc etc. It's just a charge, to help sustain the 50MB service. I would expect, this fee would / will go to network upgrades in areas that are getting poor contention etc.

Mick Fisher
15-11-2009, 15:11
I'm afraid I don't see an argument towards this. Its not a "scam" etc etc. It's just a charge, to help sustain the 50MB service. I would expect, this fee would / will go to network upgrades in areas that are getting poor contention etc.
Why is VM not up front about it then, how about raising subscriptions to a level that they do sustain the 50meg service or is that too straightforward to even contemplate.

Peter_
15-11-2009, 15:15
Why is VM not up front about it then, how about raising subscriptions to a level that they do sustain the 50meg service or is that too straightforward to even contemplate.
The fees are there as with the V+ service because they can charge for installation and customers are happy to pay because they want 50Mb and V+ which no one else can provide at present.

webcrawler2050
15-11-2009, 15:20
They are. VM website says. You have no argument im my eyes.

TonyElyod
15-11-2009, 18:43
VM contradict themselves yet again.
I completed an online 5 page question/answer FORM that CONFIRMS in plain english about the FREE self install.

I completed this and it stated that the modem will be dispatched within 72 hrs.

Then I receive a letter TOTALLY to the contrary.

An engineer will call...blah blah blah..

You can show me other web pages showing charges..fees etc etc..until you are blue in the face..BUT I COMPLETED AN ONLINE STRUCTURAL 50MB UPGRADE FROM 20MB & ITS FREE..

THATS THE SCAM

Peter_
15-11-2009, 18:49
I completed an online 5 page question/answer FORM that CONFIRMS in plain english about the FREE self install.

You can show me other web pages showing charges..fees etc etc..until you are blue in the face..BUT I COMPLETED AN ONLINE STRUCTURAL 50MB UPGRADE FROM 20MB & ITS FREE..

THATS THE SCAM
No it plainly states the following on the 50Mb information page that you are expected to read.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208

General: Installation charges apply (starting from £35 for standard installation and, subject to availability, from £15 for Quickstart self-install. Quickstart self-install is not available for up to 50Mb broadband). An additional £20 activation fee is payable for 50Mb Broadband. Payment may be required in advance. All prices include VAT. These terms and conditions are in addition to and form part of our standard customer service contract.

webcrawler2050
15-11-2009, 18:51

THATS THE SCAM

Different agents may offer you different things. However, I did this on as a new customer. It's not a scam. Simple as you use that word far too loosely.

TonyElyod
15-11-2009, 20:35
How can I be a New customer when I am upgrading from 20Mb to 50Mb.

If I complete a 5 page form online... That should be honoured.
I completed that contract & it states a Free Modem etc...

BenMcr
15-11-2009, 20:38
You do get a free modem, but that modem must be installed by an engineer - which is chargeable at £35. The 50Mbit service then requires activation - which is chargeable at £20

webcrawler2050
15-11-2009, 20:39
How can I be a New customer when I am upgrading from 20Mb to 50Mb.

If I complete a 5 page form online... That should be honoured.
I completed that contract & it states a Free Modem etc...

So in your mind it's a scam?

50MB is a premium service. Feels like a broken LP record now. If you want it, pay the fee. Simple as. Or speak nicely to the sales guy / live chat and attempt to get it FOC. How hard is it, jasus?!?!?!?!?!

BenMcr
15-11-2009, 20:46
OK

I've just gone through the 'Existing Customer' flow as if I was upgrading to 50Mbit

This is Page 1. No mention of Free Install or Quickstart install there

BenMcr
15-11-2009, 20:47
This is Step 2. Still no mention

BenMcr
15-11-2009, 20:47
This is step 3. Still no mention of Free or Quickstart install. I can't go any further as I don't have a cable account but I doubt it suddenly says 'You will get a Free Quickstart Install' if it hasn't said it before now

All there is is a link to the Install Charges page - which doesn't override the costs on the product page itself

TonyElyod
15-11-2009, 21:47
If you cant complete the full On Line Upgrade, then DONT comment.

Dont put your pennies worth in if you dont have the FULL facts.

I completed the FULL On Line Registration as stated before.

https://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/quickstart.html

https://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/installationcharges.html

BenMcr
15-11-2009, 22:10
Ok, would you mind linking to the page where it specifically states that

1) Quickstart is available for XXL broadband

and

2) You get the Quickstart install free as an existing customer?

Thanks

Peter_
15-11-2009, 22:13
If you cant complete the full On Line Upgrade, then DONT comment.

Dont put your pennies worth in if you dont have the FULL facts.

I completed the FULL On Line Registration as stated before.

https://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/quickstart.html

https://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/installationcharges.html
All that matters is what it says here in the small print so disregard the Quickstart link as it is never going to happen, you want 50Mb then you pay for the installation that will be £35 please and you pay for the activation that will be £20 please no ifs or buts! you just pay up or you do not get the service.

It tells you this below do read as we have the full facts, and we know that we are right and that you are wrong because we work for the company and actually read the terms and conditions of the products we supply.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/webs...ct.do?id=15208 (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208)

In fact in case you did not read it the first time here it is again but a little bit bigger, read the red bit.

General: Installation charges apply (starting from £35 for standard installation and, subject to availability, from £15 for Quickstart self-install. Quickstart self-install is not available for up to 50Mb broadband). An additional £20 activation fee is payable for 50Mb Broadband.Payment may be required in advance. All prices include VAT. These terms and conditions are in addition to and form part of our standard customer service contract.

That appears to be clear to me .

Gary L
15-11-2009, 23:19
you want 50Mb then you pay for the installation that will be £35 please and you pay for the activation that will be £20 please no ifs or buts! you just pay up or you do not get the service.

It tells you this below do read as we have the full facts, and we know that we are right and that you are wrong because we work for the company

In fact in case you did not read it the first time here it is again but a little bit bigger, read the red bit.

<removed>

MovedGoalPosts
15-11-2009, 23:38
It would be nice if threads did not degenerate to petty jibes against each other. Thank you.

luellin
17-11-2009, 22:25
50mg bb install is a maned one its how it goes the techs that come out are not insured to set up you pc for you meaning if they do something on it and you decide to call in and claim they destroyed it not saying you would if you did they would be chargable there are a few of us that will set up your equipment but were not supposed or paid to do it you internet is working on the modem provided and thats what we provide anything after the modem is the customers problem if there issues in your case you probably just needed to take the eathernet cable and plug it in your hub wich would take you 2 sec to do but potentualy for the engineer is more that a weeks wage if you clame for it.

we engineers can only do so much in a propertly no matter what customer service leads people to believe but we do our best to provide the service with a good exp well most of us do.

i have no doubt in my mind there are bad installers and ones that run the line as to what there alowed to do and not. and as for complaining about the £65 charge for the bad installer rest assured he wont get even a thenth of that ammount