PDA

View Full Version : Modem needs a rest

Wildean
13-11-2009, 09:03
Good morning (or whatever time of day you have).

I've noticed recently(*) that my modem keeps stopping working - specifically, it can just cut off and will not operate without disconnecting the power and resetting after a couple of minutes.

(*) "Recently" is a relative term. The problem's been happening for a few months now - I was on 20Mb for a while which had no effect), but seems to be increasing in frequency - for example, in the last two days I've had to reset it eleven times.

The modem is an ntl:home 200 - I've had it since I became a customer five years ago.

I'm currently on the 10Mb service, and I'm in the Leeds area.

My signal levels are as follows:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -12.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 25.2 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 47.0 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Is this something I'm going to have to put up with, or is it an easily-resolved problem?

Peter_
13-11-2009, 09:09
The modem is an ntl:home 200
Downstream Receive Power Level : -12.7 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 25.2 dB

Both of the above levels are far to low and tou need an engineer to adjust them.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Wildean
13-11-2009, 09:20
Both of the above levels are far to low and tou need an engineer to adjust them.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Thank you. That was a fast reply.

(This is the bit that'll make me sound like an idiot)

Should I just ring 151 and ask them to check my cable levels (explaining the issue)? Also, is this something that can be done without an engineer visit?

Peter_
13-11-2009, 09:22
Thank you. That was a fast reply.

(This is the bit that'll make me sound like an idiot)

Should I just ring 151 and ask them to check my cable levels (explaining the issue)? Also, is this something that can be done without an engineer visit?
You need to call 151 and as above you will need an engineer to sort it out, just tell your downstream is to low as per your post.

broadbandking
13-11-2009, 10:04
No wonder your getting these problems.

Nemmie
13-11-2009, 10:19
Hmm this sounds like the issue I have been having but I didn't post my levels so how do these look?

Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.7 dBmV Downstream SNR : 23.5 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 56.0 dBmV

broadbandking
13-11-2009, 10:20
downstream is too low and upstream is too high you need to ring tech support.

Nemmie
13-11-2009, 10:22
Thank you.

I have done several times and get a different response each time but hopefully this will sort it.

Peter_
13-11-2009, 10:22
Hmm this sounds like the issue I have been having but I didn't post my levels so how do these look?

Downstream Receive Power Level : -7.7 dBmV Downstream SNR : 23.5 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 56.0 dBmV

It also looks like you have a very old NTL100 series modem going by the colour of the font, so what size package are you on.

Nemmie
13-11-2009, 10:30
It also looks like you have a very old NTL100 series modem going by the colour of the font, so what size package are you on.

I have a NTL 200 modem.

I am on 20mb, I was on 10 when the problem started though.

So far I have been told - There is a problem with the network, there is not a problem with your network it is with your pc, the problem is the cable from the modem to my PC, I have a faulty network card, I am hallucinating ;)

I have disproved most of these theories but I do not have a spare cable to check that unfortunately. They are mailing me a new cable apparently but they say my modem should work perfectly. They claimed to have done some tests which show packet loss but only when my modem is plugged into the PC.

The thing that is mightily strange is that my Mum who lives around the corner is also having the same issues in the same time periods which to me suggests a local rather than specific issue.

Peter_
13-11-2009, 10:36
I have a NTL 200 modem.

I am on 20mb, I was on 10 when the problem started though.

So far I have been told - There is a problem with the network, there is not a problem with your network it is with your pc, the problem is the cable from the modem to my PC, I have a faulty network card, I am hallucinating ;)

I have disproved most of these theories but I do not have a spare cable to check that unfortunately. They are mailing me a new cable apparently but they say my modem should work perfectly. They claimed to have done some tests which show packet loss but only when my modem is plugged into the PC.

The thing that is mightily strange is that my Mum who lives around the corner is also having the same issues in the same time periods which to me suggests a local rather than specific issue.
A cable is unlikely to fix a power level issue, and you can buy one for less than £3 from ASDA or Tesco and even for £1 from from most Poundland stores.

You need a technician to adjust those levels and whoever you spoke to just wanted you off the phone.

If I had booked an engineer I would also expect him to swap the modem due to you being on 20Mb anyway.

Nemmie
13-11-2009, 10:53
Thanks for the advice.

I have just been on the phone to them again but they are saying I would need to ring customer services to book an engineer?

They are sending me a new modem and seem to think that this will solve my problems.

pabscars
13-11-2009, 11:05
Thanks for the advice.

I have just been on the phone to them again but they are saying I would need to ring customer services to book an engineer?

They are sending me a new modem and seem to think that this will solve my problems.

I.m no expert, but I dont think swapping the modem will alter the power levels at all, only an engineer making tweaks at the little green cabinet down your road can do that.

If so far you have only managed to get through to the indian call centres, try ringing first thing in the morning as your more likely to get a uk support agent, and tell them your power levels are way out.

You might as well get your new modem installed and working, but then check your power levels again afterwards and post here, I,m sure moldova will comment if they are still out of speck

Ignitionnet
13-11-2009, 11:15
Quality support. Low power levels going into modem is clearly a PC problem, failing that a new modem will definitely fix it.

Peter_
13-11-2009, 11:15
Thanks for the advice.

Tech Support are the ones who book engineers all Customer Services would do is transfer you back to them.
Was this person UK based or Offshore.

As Pabscars says above unlikely but you can check once installed.

Also the did tell you that when you receive the new modem and have connected it that you need to call back on 151 to get it activated so make a note of the MAC address from of the bottom or the back depending which modem you receive.

broadbandking
13-11-2009, 11:25
Got to love the support customers get these days.
ring them back and try and get a UK agent and tell them the levels are out and if they refuse ask for a manager.

Nemmie
13-11-2009, 11:33
I.m no expert, but I dont think swapping the modem will alter the power levels at all, only an engineer making tweaks at the little green cabinet down your road can do that.

If so far you have only managed to get through to the indian call centres, try ringing first thing in the morning as your more likely to get a uk support agent, and tell them your power levels are way out.

You might as well get your new modem installed and working, but then check your power levels again afterwards and post here, I,m sure moldova will comment if they are still out of speck

Yeah I have a feeling that you are right but they have already got me to jump through several hoops including setting up my old computer to see if that had the same issues which I did and of course it did.

Hopefully when there are no hoops left they will actually send an engineer.

I have tried ringing at 8am every day this week but thus far have only got the international department, mores the pity.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Tech Support are the ones who book engineers all Customer Services would do is transfer you back to them.
Was this person UK based or Offshore.

Yeah I thought this was nonsense and I did question it but he insisted that I need a "special" engineer that can only be booked through customer services.

To be honest I have been stunned by how inept the international support department are, it's quite astounding.

As Pabscars says above unlikely but you can check once installed.

Also the did tell you that when you receive the new modem and have connected it that you need to call back on 151 to get it activated so make a note of the MAC address from of the bottom or the back depending which modem you receive.

Yeah, I suppose I should keep ringing until I get a UK person but I have not managed it yet and I have rung on at least 10 occasions this week.

I was told that I had to ring before I installed modem but he was the guy who said the cable will probably fix it.

pabscars
13-11-2009, 11:41
Yeah I have a feeling that you are right but they have already got me to jump through several hoops including setting up my old computer to see if that had the same issues which I did and of course it did.

Hopefully when there are no hoops left they will actually send an engineer.

I have tried ringing at 8am every day this week but thus far have only got the international department, mores the pity.

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Yeah I thought this was nonsense and I did question it but he insisted that I need a "special" engineer that can only be booked through customer services.

To be honest I have been stunned by how inept the international support department are, it's quite astounding.

Yeah, I suppose I should keep ringing until I get a UK person but I have not managed it yet and I have rung on at least 10 occasions this week.

I was told that I had to ring before I installed modem but he was the guy who said the cable will probably fix it.

It can be frustrating at times, but if all else fails kick up a stink and dont get fobbed off.

I just wish there was a way of linking people with obvious issues like you direct to uk support, to save the unnecessary hoop jumping just to get a relatively simple problem sorted with a tech visit.

Well at least it will keep you fit. :)

Sod it, if all else fails tell them your cousin is a vm engineer and he has told you that your power levels are way out and the only way to fix is by getting an engineer to tweak them.

A little porky maybe but if it gets you sorted :D

joglynne
13-11-2009, 12:56
Maybe posting your levels on to the VM support newsgroup may be the way to go. They are based in the UK and can book you a engineer.

Details for setting up the newsgroups can be found at :-

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/cable/newsgroups/setting-up.php

... and you will need the one called VM.support.broadband.cable

Nemmie
13-11-2009, 14:23
Maybe posting your levels on to the VM support newsgroup may be the way to go. They are based in the UK and can book you a engineer.

Details for setting up the newsgroups can be found at :-

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/cable/newsgroups/setting-up.php

... and you will need the one called VM.support.broadband.cable

Thanks, I have posted my details there and have everything crossed. :)

joglynne
13-11-2009, 14:32
Thanks, I have posted my details there and have everything crossed. :)

My fingers are crossed for you. With any luck you should get a reply pretty quickly.

Nemmie
17-11-2009, 10:41
Well engineer has been and he switched modems which instantly improved my power readings.

He said the modem was on it's way out and pretty miraculous that it had lasted as long as it did.

He also tweaked the box a bit to adjust my upstream reading which is now also in a good state.

So far things appear to be good. No pauses while surfing etc but Speedtest.net is still giving me erratic results which only happened after my recent issues before that it had always worked perfectly.

Time will tell I suppose, if at 4pm everything starts falling apart then it wasn't the modem/power issue. ;)

Thanks again to the people who pointed me in the right direction and spared me countless hours on the phone with Bombay :)