PDA

View Full Version : Xbox - 20mb Package

Chappy112
12-11-2009, 21:29
Hi I'm new in here :)

Recently, I've been getting absolutely horrific lag on xbox live. I've tried everything to fix it playing with settings on routers etc. Then I started to notice that websites were taking forever to load up so I did a speedtest thing and it was getting about 1mb after around 7pm and about 4mb on a morning. Also when I do ping tests on a morning it is around 20ms but on a night it can be 200ms which I think is the reason why my xbox just goes crazy and it is unplayable.

Ever since we have been on the 20mb package we have never ever gotten anywhere near 20mb speeds it's always around 7-8mb. We got sent a new modem too but that didn't fix it. It's just really driving me crazy not being able to play games or even download properly. I used to get around 900kb/s when downloading a file but now it's around 150kb/s. I don't even think 900 is right for the 20mb package I'm not sure?

When I read around though it seems loads of people are having the same troubles and then they get told theres nothing wrong with it.

moaningmags
12-11-2009, 21:31
Have you tried a direct connection to the modem?

Chappy112
12-11-2009, 21:34
Yep numerous times, exactly the same thing. I probably wouldn't have noticed the internet being slow too much but the Xbox was driving me insane. I tried enabling DMZ, opening ports, direct connection to modem and static ips. I've tried everything that I've found on the net.

I'm just convinced now that it's not the router or anything it's just Virgin. I mean I understand it going down a bit at night but not that much and we have never ever had 20mb anyway even though we should.

caph
12-11-2009, 22:18
Two things. There's either a fault (your end or further up stream), or you are on an oversubscribed node.

It might be worth posting your modem power levels here to see if there is an obvious problem.

It might also be worth asking on the newsgroup if your UBR is oversubscribed (you can find out your ubr by clicking the connection link at the top of this very page).

Chappy112
12-11-2009, 22:33
Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 2
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.5 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

cpc2-stkn3-0-0-cust139.midd.cable.ntl.com

I think that's what you mean?

caph
12-11-2009, 22:54
Your power levels are high but within tolerance levels. My upstream power for instance is even higher than yours but I consistently get 20Mb day and night.

My guess is that you are on an oversubscribed node. Post in the newsgroup and ask them. If you are then you want to try and get moved to a Docsis 3 node pronto.

Chappy112
12-11-2009, 22:55
I have no idea what any of that means haha! How do I post in the newsgroup?

Sorry for the trouble and being useless :)

caph
12-11-2009, 23:09
You have to use a news client such as Windows Mail in Vista or Outlook Express in XP. The newsgroup you want is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable.

If you post on there they will get back to you in 4 working hours.

If you click the "Connection" link at the top of the page you'll get something like cpc1-basf9-2-0-custxxx.12-3.cable.virginmedia.com. It's the second lot of numbers/letters which is your UBR. Mine is BASF9, yours will probably be different.

Post on the newsgroup and ask if your UBR is oversubscribed.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

The reason I mentioned DOCSIS3 is that the new 50Mb kit is separate from the 10Mb/20Mb kit. The former is not oversubscribed, the latter can be and quite badly in places. You will probably be on the old kit, but as a 20Mb customer you should be being moved on to the new kit (albeit still at 20Mb though). So, if you are on oversubscribed kit, then hassling them to get you moved to the new non-oversubscribed kit will solve your problems.

Chappy112
12-11-2009, 23:21
Cheers pal! I'll have a whirl at doing that newsgroup thing now. I have windows 7 so I'm not sure it's on here. I'll work it out some how.

Would it be worth me moving up to 50mb or would it still be bad?

broadbandking
13-11-2009, 08:19
50Mb in my area is fine have a great connection to xbox live.

caph
13-11-2009, 20:18
Cheers pal! I'll have a whirl at doing that newsgroup thing now. I have windows 7 so I'm not sure it's on here. I'll work it out some how.

Would it be worth me moving up to 50mb or would it still be bad?

Ah, now there's a loaded question. You certainly won't get oversubscription on 50Mb but you may well run in to all sorts of other problems. Let's just say that the 50Mb rollout has not been without its casualties. You may well be lucky on 50Mb and not get any problems. So you've got to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?

Chappy112
13-11-2009, 20:21
Ah, now there's a loaded question. You certainly won't get oversubscription on 50Mb but you may well run in to all sorts of other problems. Let's just say that the 50Mb rollout has not been without its casualties. You may well be lucky on 50Mb and not get any problems. So you've got to ask yourself, do you feel lucky?

Haha probably not to be honest! I got the usual reply today "we haven't noticed any major issues it's just sporadic" Well if sporadic means for the past 6 months we have only ever got 8mb then yes they are right :D

I can't be bothered with it anymore to be honest, I think I'll just leave them and do some proper research into what company will give me a stable connection.

retodd33
14-11-2009, 13:48
I'm having the exact same issue! I'm getting all sorts of strange connection with 20mb, its awful, I've rang them around 8-9 times now, and cant seem to sort anything out whatsoever. Its driving me mad.

Chappy112
14-11-2009, 16:39
I'm having the exact same issue! I'm getting all sorts of strange connection with 20mb, its awful, I've rang them around 8-9 times now, and cant seem to sort anything out whatsoever. Its driving me mad.

It's silly isn't it. I mean what about people who know even less than I do they won't be able to get it sorted at all. Virgin know exactly what is happening in my opinion but for some reason they won't fix it.