PDA

View Full Version : DIR-615 Wireless N router issues

Greyze
11-11-2009, 23:02
Hey all.

I've recently gotten the Wireless N router from Virgin, apparently their latest model. Its a D-Link DIR-615 WirelessN router (H/W ver: D2, F/W ver: 1.00vg)

I got this to replace the Netgear router from virgin, this one is N and has QoS features so I got this, had 0 issues with my previous setup otherwise.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working properly.. I plug everything and I can access the "router" and even see other PCs on the network. But when I connect the Internet into it, there is no connection at all. It sees the ethernet has been plugged in (orange light) but it stays like that, it turns green when the internet is going through.

I went through the CD setup method and the manual setup via a webbrowser connecting to the router... when I type in the details and press save, after 2 seconds it just takes me back to the previous page with no improvement, on the disc and webbrowser.

Now this is brand new, and my internet works flawlessly.. but I also don't want to believe i've recieved a dud router... can somone help me figure out why this router cant access the internet?

Sephiroth
11-11-2009, 23:05
Ppaste your router LAN, WAN & Wireless settings and we might be able to tell you what's wrong.

Basically you want auto-everything with DHCP enabled.

Greyze
11-11-2009, 23:20
Unfortunately I cannot post that information right at this minute, I had to plug my old router in because my room mates need the net + I wouldn't be here otherwise :)

But if this extra info helps..

When I had it plugged in, I used the basic settings, no settings at all and the settings I would have used, no internet on any.
From what i've seen so far, apparently, as soon as you plug it in its meant to search and setup a simple connection to the net. The second step on the CD setup guide tells you to insert the ethernet into the router and when its turned green press next, this is before doing any other settings.
It looks like its not even regonizing that theres internet, it just sees an ethernet cable has been plugged in.

I guarantee my internet and Cable modem is fine though, its working great now and my previous router is working perfectly too. (obviously as im on it to do this :D)

I will give you that information as soon as possible, but if you can throw any ideas to me on what the issue "could" be or some generic troubleshooting tips to try in the meantime, that would be fantastic!

Also, does anyone know if this router is actually old? because from what i've read so far apparently the (H/W ver: D2, F/W ver: 1.00vg) is very old whereas virgin told me its new/top stuff.

Edit: partially offtopic, but why does this router wan't me to type in the MAC address my PC that previously used the internet? this is just curiousity.

Sephiroth
11-11-2009, 23:26
We'll wait for your info. At a distance it's impossible to know what the problem is. I suggested auto-everything with DHCP enabled. Try setting up the router manually rather than with the wizard. You'd need to go in manually to copy off the settings.

Other than that, it could be a naff router.

I'm baffled by your statement "it turns green when the internet goes through". I thought you said internet didn't work through the router. What have I misunderstood?

deathtrap3000
11-11-2009, 23:31
You reset the modem after plugging the new router in??

Greyze
12-11-2009, 00:08
I'm baffled by your statement "it turns green when the internet goes through". I thought you said internet didn't work through the router. What have I misunderstood?

Sorry, Fail english skills ;)

The router has a light for an internet connection. An ethernet from the cable modem, to the router.

When an ethernet cable is plugged in, the light turns orange instead of Off.
When its actually found the internet connection, it turns solid green.
Flashes green when theres traffic.

It just stays a permenant orange, as if the ethernet cable is plugged in, but unplugged from the Cable modem.

The internet does not work through the router, this is my problem :) everything else works though, I can use it for LAN purposes.. its just literally nothing happens when you connect it up to the cable modem.

After the first attempt, I did press the reset button, then done a manual setup by the web browser, that also didn't work.

Peter_
12-11-2009, 06:28
Sorry, Fail english skills ;)

The router has a light for an internet connection. An ethernet from the cable modem, to the router.

When an ethernet cable is plugged in, the light turns orange instead of Off.
When its actually found the internet connection, it turns solid green.
Flashes green when theres traffic.

It just stays a permenant orange, as if the ethernet cable is plugged in, but unplugged from the Cable modem.

The internet does not work through the router, this is my problem :) everything else works though, I can use it for LAN purposes.. its just literally nothing happens when you connect it up to the cable modem.

After the first attempt, I did press the reset button, then done a manual setup by the web browser, that also didn't work.
If the router has failed as you say then you need to call Tech Support who will send out a replacement.

Sephiroth
12-11-2009, 12:37
You reset the modem after plugging the new router in??

Deathtrap3000 has given good advice.

He is suggesting that you unplug from the power your MODEM (as distinct from router router). Disconnect the router from the MODEM. Leave the MODEM without power for, say 5 minutes, so that the IP lease expires at the VM end. Then power up the MODEM.

When it is solid ready light on the MODEM, connect the ROUTER to the modem abd your PC to the router. Often, very often, this solves the problem.

Lemonzest
12-11-2009, 16:44
Yeah I had to reset my MODEM when I attached my new DIR-615. worked perfect since

bomber_g
13-11-2009, 16:12
It probably just wasn't picking up an IP

sounds to me like

orange light = power to port
green light = has ip and gateway
flashy green light = traffic

the config on some modems only allow a certain number of public IP's to be assigned behind them - as far as I know the different configs allow either 1 or 4 devices - please correct me if I'm wrong guys

so sometimes you need to reboot your modem to allow a new device to get an IP address.

Matt-08
13-11-2009, 18:42
Definately reboot your modem first. Since you ask about it asking for your MAC address, your modem will be registered to the MAC of your old router, and you need to reboot the modem so that it can get the MAC of the new router and assign it to that modem.

Greyze
24-11-2009, 01:22
Hey all, I done what you all said and the router has been working perfect for quite some time now! all that was needed was the Modem to be turned off for several minutes and it worked flawlessly :D

Now that one is out of the way, there is a question I have which I can't really rap my head around.

On this router, there is a QoS Engine for managing bandwidth. The main reason I got this router was because of this, because I was told/read that it can help maintain good pings for gaming etc, while a person on the network is downloading or streaming.

I set it up (don't know if its correct) and it seemed to make a difference while somone was using the internet. Before, when gaming, a person downloading would make the ping go to insane heights of 2000+, now it goes to 250-500. So i'm assuming its still not set up correctly? I'm guessing its incorrect some way because I was told this feature is brilliant for downloaders and gamers.

If im incorrect in any way, please correct and clarify this please :)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/11/10.gif
10Mbit package, VM.

gumpy321
25-11-2009, 19:03
On a similar note, how do I set the transmit speed on this router? It's set on automatic and can't set it to 140mbps or 300?

Down the Pub
25-11-2009, 19:27
On a similar note, how do I set the transmit speed on this router? It's set on automatic and can't set it to 140mbps or 300?

are you on about the QoS engine? if so then un-tick the auto uplink speed box, and then enter manual uplink speed.

gumpy321
25-11-2009, 19:33
are you on about the QoS engine? if so then un-tick the auto uplink speed box, and then enter manual uplink speed.

No, the speed in which my N-adapter upstairs connects to the router. I can only get 54mbps speeds and not 300mbps like it was before I installed Windows 7 on the laptop upstairs.

The selection box does not give me any other option, it;s just stuck on Automatic.

EDIT: It's called the transmission rate.

Down the Pub
25-11-2009, 20:16
No, the speed in which my N-adapter upstairs connects to the router. I can only get 54mbps speeds and not 300mbps like it was before I installed Windows 7 on the laptop upstairs.

The selection box does not give me any other option, it;s just stuck on Automatic.

EDIT: It's called the transmission rate.

gotcha,

try this then.

logon to the router > select advanced tab > change wireless mode (3rd from bottom) and change to 802.11n only.

then select the setup tab > wireless setup > manual wireless connection setup, from there on the second box down - transmission rate and change from best(automatic) to whatever you desire.

hope this helps

dtp

if not i'll bugger off and have a bash on mw2 :)

gumpy321
25-11-2009, 20:34
I forgot to mention I have other devices that only use G. I.E Wii, PS3, other laptop.....

gotcabled
25-11-2009, 20:51
I forgot to mention I have other devices that only use G. I.E Wii, PS3, other laptop.....

hello
this may help this is from virgin media forum i had the same prob with my laptop and using these settings fixed mine

I thought I would post my findings since getting the brand new Wireless N Adapter for my 360.

After using the original adapter the change over I thought would have been painless.

Unfortunately it wasnt.

At first the new adapter recognised my old settings fine and connected to the D-Link router, but only at 54Mbs as seen in the link below next to Wireless Mode (802.11g).

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/ciu/ff/62/555be10e22a0ebd9c83d0210.L.jpg

I set the router to N only and the 360 would not connect at all, although it could see the network and asked for its PassKey, after which it would tell me I wasnt connected.

I did more diagnostics and found that adapater could connect at the N Standard when no encryption was enabled on the router.

I then set it back to the default WPA/WPA2 with TKIP as the Cypher type.

Connected but only at 54Mbs again.

I then changed the Cypher to AES.

Bingo.

Connected 802.11n

gumpy321
25-11-2009, 21:43
But again, the PS3 and Wii and the other laptop canot connect to a Wireless N router that only has "N" active, or am I wrong?

EDIT: gotcabled, that worked, now connected at 270mbps. Cheers mate.

lance7744
27-03-2010, 18:19
I had exactly the same problem with router not connecting to the Internet, after much messing about and resetting I found out the problem was very basic.
Internet options on vista was not set to automatic dns or ip. Set them and bobs your uncle! Sailed through set up! Hope this helps prob same with other windows versions.

FlimsyBob
28-03-2010, 23:50
I can vouch for these routers, just to put the comment out there.

Just replaced one i killed by mistake (wrong power cord), and both have been faultless with the service, the newer model admittedly is not as nice as the older one, but that's just me being picky.

I however purchased mine myself, much cheaper. LOL, latest model, 1.00 is not the latest model, else it would have Version 4.00 firmware on it, as does the one i recently received (online e-tailer). I can see from the screenshot it's actually the older model (same as the one i killed recently, which had the same firmware as in the screenshot). It's larger then the newer model which is awkwardly smaller, it cannot be sat flat (cable room), and also has very little free movement for the wireless antennas due to the cables being plugged in (it's just that bit to small, you'll know what i'm talking about if you have the newer model - the older model is larger and better designed, IMPO).

Great routers though.. ;)

P.S. I personally get better wireless connections using a set channel, the auto feature seems to be less reliable and interferes with other close by wireless connections (residential area with several other connections close by). I'm on channel 6 right IIRC, also be sure to use WPA2 if your wireless adaptors support it...

EDIT: Checked the versions to confirm.
Old model: Version 2.21 (bigger, plenty of space for cables and antennas)
New model: Version 4 (smaller, can't be laid flat with all cables plugged in, less movement for antennas)
That's according to the sticker on the underside of the router.

BexTech
29-03-2010, 13:19
Hey all.

I've recently got the Wireless N router from Virgin, apparently their latest model. Its a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N router (H/W ver: D2, F/W ver: 1.00vg)

I got this to replace the Netgear router from virgin, this one is N and has QoS features so I got this, had 0 issues with my previous setup otherwise.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working properly.. I plug everything and I can access the "router" and even see other PCs on the network. But when I connect the Internet into it, there is no connection at all. It sees the Ethernet has been plugged in (orange light) but it stays like that, it turns green when the internet is going through.

I went through the CD setup method and the manual set-up via a web-browser connecting to the router... when I type in the details and press save, after 2 seconds it just takes me back to the previous page with no improvement, on the disc and web-browser.

Now this is brand new, and my internet works flawlessly.. but I also don't want to believe I've received a dud router... can someone help me figure out why this router cant access the internet?

I purchased a Linksys / Cisco WRT610N router as the VM supplied D-Link routers are notoriously poor, happy with the WRT610N so far.