PDA

View Full Version : BR1 Recent Issues - Bromley

Nemmie
10-11-2009, 07:20
I have been on Virgin Media for several years now and apart from a few minor outages have been very happy with the service.

However since last week my connection (10mb) has steadily got worse on a daily basis and over the weekend my connection was practically unusable I could connect but it was taking minutes to load up even the most simple text page.

When I called tech support on Friday there was a message saying that there were issues in my area which were being looked at so I left it at that but on Saturday there was still no improvement and the message was no longer being played when you contacted support so I spoke to a guy who said there were issues that were due to be fixed that evening.

Sunday there was still no improvement and I was going to contact support again yesterday morning but my connection returned to normal (actually faster as I upgraded to 20mb for no extra cost - something good that has come out of all this!)

However yesterday evening the same problems returned. If I turn off the modem and re-power it I can get a decent connection for about half an hour which then gradually gets worse until it is unusable.

Is there work going on in my area? Could this be due to my area becoming oversubscribed? My connection this morning seems to have returned to normal but I can't get any speedtest to show over 3mb where as before it was always 9+ no matter what the time of day.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Nemmie
11-11-2009, 15:01
Still having issues.

Restarting my modem speeds things up for a period of time before it gradually slows to a stop.

Getting packet loss even when browsing speed is acceptable.

I know it's a local issue because my Mum lives around the corner and is having the same problems.

Peter_
11-11-2009, 15:04
What modem do you actually have.

Nemmie
11-11-2009, 15:24
What modem do you actually have.

Not sure I think it is some kind of Motorola but it worked fine on 20mb when it first came out. My Mum has same modem but is on 10mb.

Information from Cable Modem Status Page if that helps :-

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem Cable modem : Ambit Cable Modem

Peter_
11-11-2009, 15:37
Click here for all NTL modems so you can check which one it is and also it might have a model number on the front orrr the base such as NTLhome 120 or similar.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

Nemmie
11-11-2009, 16:00
Ah OK.

Yeah sticker on the bottom says it's a NTL Home 200.

Peter_
11-11-2009, 16:02
Ah OK.

Yeah sticker on the bottom says it's a NTL Home 200.
I would call Tech Support and see about getting that replaced as its a bit long in the tooth.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

Nemmie
12-11-2009, 08:13
I would call Tech Support and see about getting that replaced as its a bit long in the tooth.

Tech Support is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

OK, Thanks I will give that a try. I have used this modem without any problems on 20mb before but it is worth a go if there is a chance that it might solve these issues.

My Mum has the same modem around the corner and is having the same issues so this would also make sense but it still feels like a local network service issue.

GruntBoy
12-11-2009, 10:07
I'm having the exact same problems as you describe, only in Northampton. Never had a problem on the old 2meg, but the last couple of weeks or so have been unusable after around 7 in the evening until after midnight.

Modem reset works for a little while, then drops back down to less than 3k.

There must be something major going wrong somewhere? I find it hard to believe all these modems are all failing at the same time, all only in the evening, then fine again the next morning...

Nemmie
12-11-2009, 10:28
I'm having the exact same problems as you describe, only in Northampton. Never had a problem on the old 2meg, but the last couple of weeks or so have been unusable after around 7 in the evening until after midnight.

Modem reset works for a little while, then drops back down to less than 3k.

There must be something major going wrong somewhere? I find it hard to believe all these modems are all failing at the same time, all only in the evening, then fine again the next morning...

Yeah, that sounds like exactly the same issue.

It seems like this problem is affecting more than just my area then, in a way I feel a bit better about the chances of getting it sorted.

I have been unable to get through to tech support despite 3 attempts and hanging on for over 20 minutes so this would suggest that they are having a large volume of calls, perhaps about the same problem?

GruntBoy
12-11-2009, 10:37
To be honest, I wouldn't mind anywhere near as much if they just turned round and said "We've upgraded a lot of people to faster speeds for free, and we're having some severe teething problems. We're really sorry and are currently working on sorting it."

I'd be happy enough to wait then. It's when you ring up, speak to someone in another country every time, and are always told there's no problem with your line, and no problems in your area. It's bullsh1t like that that just winds me up.

Nemmie
12-11-2009, 11:07
To be honest, I wouldn't mind anywhere near as much if they just turned round and said "We've upgraded a lot of people to faster speeds for free, and we're having some severe teething problems. We're really sorry and are currently working on sorting it."

I'd be happy enough to wait then. It's when you ring up, speak to someone in another country every time, and are always told there's no problem with your line, and no problems in your area. It's bullsh1t like that that just winds me up.

Yeah, It would be nice if they admitted there was an issue.

I finally got through and was told there were no issues in my area or with my connection.

The thing is that even though I have a good connection at the moment the packet loss is still present and I know as the day progresses it will slow to a crawl before stopping completely.