PDA

View Full Version : Just been charged £120 by VM

kyee
09-11-2009, 15:26
:mad::mad:

Went with VM for ADSL and phone and was told in store we have 28 days to cancel if we where unhappy with the service. I phoned up today to get my mac address and cancel so we can move to someone decent as its a terrible service, and was told we only get 7 days and would have to pay £120 to cancel and receive our mac address as it's been 10 days since activation :mad:.

Where do we go from here? It appears I have been misquoted by a VM staff member in store when we ordered the service. :mad: extremely ****ed!

Any advice would be great, I wish to take this further and refuse to pay that £120.

Gary L
09-11-2009, 15:57
Are they still in the store? I'd go and get the ammo I need from them.

kyee
09-11-2009, 16:00
apparently so, Just waiting to hear back to my email regarding ground were standing on. As far as im aware the store member agreed to my misses over the phone that we got 28 days and all phonecalls are recorded so its a case of waiting til they confirm it their end correct?

Raistlin
09-11-2009, 16:02
Did you actually buy the items in store or over the phone?

Gary L
09-11-2009, 16:07
I don't know if this applies to you.

You have the right to cancel this Agreement

aa. within ten working days of entering into it (if you pay line rental to us); or

bb. within seven working days of entering into it (if you pay line rental to another telephone line rental provider) (each, a "cooling-off period"). In the event of cancellation during the cooling-off period, this Agreement is treated as if it had not been made. Please be aware that you will lose your right to cancel under this section during the cooling-off period once we have commenced activation of the services or you use the services, whichever is the earlier.
# We want you to be completely happy with your services so, as well as the cooling-off period under (a) above, you can also cancel your services during the CPS switchover period (if relevant) if you change your mind. The "switchover period" is the time between the confirmation of your order by us and activation of CPS on your telephone line. Please see our Sales and Marketing Code of Practice on the Virgin Media website, for further details.

kyee
09-11-2009, 16:11
it doesnt apply since its been just over 10 working days. But my argument was indeed that we got 28 working days to cancel :( that's what we where told "in store" several times. We bought the service in store, yes.

Gary L
09-11-2009, 16:16
It seems to me like a bit of a con when they say the 7 days starts from when they accept your order. you might not get an installation date within that 7 days, so you don't get to 'try' the services out to decide if you want to keep it or not.

didnt they used to let you 'try it out' before? or is that just on cable broadband?

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

it doesnt apply since its been just over 10 working days. But my argument was indeed that we got 28 working days to cancel :( that's what we where told "in store" several times. We bought the service in store, yes.

I'd try and get the 'instore' to give you written confirmation (without them realising why) of the 28 day period, and use that to argue with. otherwise you won't get anywhere really with Virgin.

Then I'd personally tell someone who cares on the end of the phone that I'm going to tell my story of how I was cheated and lied to on all the forums I can think of on the internet. always works for me :) :D

Peter_
09-11-2009, 16:31
I have just been reading the National terms and conditions and in Section 5 i it states

During the Carrier Pre-Select switchover period there will be a process which allows customers to take service and use a 'no cost' cancellation where they change their mind. Customers will be made aware that they have the right to change their minds during the switchover period (the "switchover period" is the time between the confirmation of the order by Virgin Media and the switch on/over date of the service (a minimum of 10 working days).

Taken from here National Broadband Sales and Marketing Code of Practice (http://www.virgin.net/terms/salescode.shtml)

As I do not work for National I have no idea how they work but do keep links to their site.

kyee
09-11-2009, 16:42
Our store (grimsby) manager has just told me that he thought it was 28 days too. And has agreed to put that in writing to accompany our complaint letter to reclaim that £120 charge.

One thing that made me chuckle on the phone (although probably rude of me to do so but oh well) was when 'phone woman who reads from book' said :

"I can't give you the mac code without charging you £120 to cancel sir. You could file a complain with head office sir but it takes up to 3 weeks to process, you may aswel just pay the cancellation fee!"

*MrChicity3 voice "YAALLLL SEE THE SCAM? DO YALL SEE THE SCAM!?"

Peter_
09-11-2009, 16:45
Our store (grimsby) manager has just told me that he thought it was 28 days too. And has agreed to put that in writing to accompany our complaint letter to reclaim that £120 charge.

Good on the store manager for being so helpful to your case.

The person who told you 28 days probably got confused over the difference between Cable and National T&C's.

kyee
09-11-2009, 16:52
Yeah apparently so. We shall see. I'm also gonna make note of how ignorant the woman who dealt with it was. She answered the phone "virgin media" instead of "virgin media how can I help" with a pleasant voice like they are meant to do.. she was so blunt that I felt like pointing out how intimidating it was to talk to her.

I can only imagine how much abuse the people on the cancellation line get so I held my tongue lol

Mick Fisher
09-11-2009, 18:20
They will tell you anything you want to hear in order to get you to sign on the dotted line.

Looks like you have been well and truly scammed. :(

Get Watchdog on it.

Good Luck with cancelling.

broadbandking
09-11-2009, 23:10
Yeah apparently so. We shall see. I'm also gonna make note of how ignorant the woman who dealt with it was. She answered the phone "virgin media" instead of "virgin media how can I help" with a pleasant voice like they are meant to do.. she was so blunt that I felt like pointing out how intimidating it was to talk to her.

I can only imagine how much abuse the people on the cancellation line get so I held my tongue lol

The women stuck to her guns as she didn't know you was telling the truth as she wasn't in store when you ordered the account, glad you got it sorted tho.

Pog66
10-11-2009, 11:58
:mad::mad:

Went with VM for ADSL and phone and was told in store we have 28 days to cancel if we where unhappy with the service. I phoned up today to get my mac address and cancel so we can move to someone decent as its a terrible service, .

What is your definition of terrible service? if the service is not fit for purpose and/or not what you believe you were sold then you have a good case.

Peter_
10-11-2009, 12:01
What is your definition of terrible service? if the service is not fit for purpose and/or not what you believe you were sold then you have a good case.
You did read the rest of the thread and saw that he is getting it sorted with the help of the Store Manager.;)

kyee
11-11-2009, 09:34
Well. I've just received an email from VM with my Mac code in, and another email stating they apologize for any inconvenience and misguidance in store, and have agreed to cover the £120 charge. I told them over the phone the main reason I was leaving was because of the fact I need more than 1 hour of full speed during peak times per day (the fair usage throttle crap). I use the line for my business which unfortunately means I have to regularly send large files often in peak times.

I've done my research now and found that the only 'truly unlimited' (no fair use policy crap) broadband available in the UK is either business broadband from Eclipsenet OR Sky broadband's Unlimited package. Which actually doesnt look too bad at all, 24mb speed (although I will get around 6-7mb tops due to location) and *no fair usage policy, truly unlimited*.

About time some of these **** ISP's take note, Sky leading the way forward.

**** you VM.

candy1567
11-11-2009, 11:05
Hiya

I was on the Sky unlimited package until bout 4 weeks ago and only changed cause i wanted the 50meg broadband.

Sky's package was very good, was unlimited completely, was with them for bout 14 months and i can honestly say that it never went down or got disconnected in that time, also rarely had to reset modem.

the problem i had was as with u i regulary send large files due to workin from home 3 days a week, so virgins STM crippled me, so sky was a godsend, but i was further away from the exchange and only got bout 3.5meg.

So can recommend sky's broadband, although speeds did fluctuate i never got less than 3meg.

candy1567

Failswitch
12-11-2009, 03:36
Hiya

I was on the Sky unlimited package until bout 4 weeks ago and only changed cause i wanted the 50meg broadband.

Sky's package was very good, was unlimited completely, was with them for bout 14 months and i can honestly say that it never went down or got disconnected in that time, also rarely had to reset modem.

the problem i had was as with u i regulary send large files due to workin from home 3 days a week, so virgins STM crippled me, so sky was a godsend, but i was further away from the exchange and only got bout 3.5meg.

So can recommend sky's broadband, although speeds did fluctuate i never got less than 3meg.

candy1567

You should've stuck with Sky's 1.3Mb upload compared with VM's shoddy 1.5Mb with 50meg

Kursk
12-11-2009, 11:05
Isn't this thread an abject lesson that the best way to resolve issues is to remain calm, ensure the facts are made known to those who need to know them and, as is invariably my experience, VM will sort things out for you? Sorry Kyee, this isn't directed at you but people seem to start firing from the hip at VM before there's even a chance for them to consider the issues. I mean, come on.

A summary of this case is that a mistake was made and the error rectified following an honest admission. What more can VM do?

broadbandking
12-11-2009, 11:45
You should've stuck with Sky's 1.3Mb upload compared with VM's shoddy 1.5Mb with 50meg

Actually its 1.75Mb