PDA

View Full Version : vm supplied routers

Down the Pub
08-11-2009, 23:47
my vm supplied router (WGR614V9) has been playing up for a while now - last couple of months. but have just put up with it for now.

but it's a pain having a long cat5 trailed across the front room when someone wants to use the lappy while i'm gaming. all because the wireless only ocassionally works.

then there is the continual reboots - at least twice a night, just depends how long i'm on for. although if i'm going to be having a gaming sesh, i take the router out and go modem direct - and who ever uses the lappy uses my mobile dongle.

so questions are...........as it's a vm supplied one, will they replace it? and what are they supplying at the moment, reason i ask is that the set up software for the netgear isn't win7 compatible (at least thats what the site says) so to make changes i'll have to go back into my xp boot and change it there.

v0id
09-11-2009, 00:41
Don't use the supplied software, use the network mngmnt in win 7 and the router address (http://192.168.1.1/) to change the config of the router

Peter_
09-11-2009, 08:14
Click on this link and follow the instructions and if it continues to reboot call Tech Support about the issue on 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

Wireless setup WGR614v9
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34864636-post15.html

Ignore the first line about a Belkin adaptor.

Down the Pub
09-11-2009, 22:04
Click on this link and follow the instructions and if it continues to reboot call Tech Support about the issue on 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

Wireless setup WGR614v9
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34864636-post15.html

Ignore the first line about a Belkin adaptor.

the wireless doesn't need setting up, when it works it's fine. just sometimes that it's a bit hit and miss. but now i can't get into the router - it's not accepting the login or password. so think i'm just gonna have to rest the bleedin thing and give it a bash (not litterally), and if still no good then have to ring up.

Peter_
09-11-2009, 22:50
the wireless doesn't need setting up, when it works it's fine. just sometimes that it's a bit hit and miss. but now i can't get into the router - it's not accepting the login or password. so think i'm just gonna have to rest the bleedin thing and give it a bash (not litterally), and if still no good then have to ring up.
That is what the link is about showing how to reset it then reinstall without the disk.

If no different you call Tech Support for help.

neilboardman
09-11-2009, 23:13
I called Virgin today because I have been having the same issue, I am not to sure if hes router is the 50mg one but if its not then I have some news for him, I had a 20mg router given to me by Virgin Media and I had nothing but problems with it, I did every thing and I even got a new one from virgin but with no luck, lol, my advice if you have one of those crapy routers is to just go out and buy a router that is not Netgear if your on 20mg or lower, that will work believe me,lol, i did that, but I moved this year to there 50mg broadband and I was given there new Netgear router, I still have problems, I have internet speed problems the modem keeps losing internet connection, it drives me mad, I have sorted the speed problems out because that was the setting where the problem was, but virgin teck guys told me that they are seeing my computers name on there systems and not the routers name which is netgear1, they did a lot of testing which all resulted in them sending out a new router which should be with me in the next 3 to 5 days, well my advice is ring virgin first and if they cant do anything then they will tell you if you should ring netgear or they will let you know if you will get a new router in the post, that would be your best bet i think but i am no expert on this issue, lol.

Peter_
09-11-2009, 23:18
I called Virgin today because I have been having the same issue, I am not to sure if hes router is the 50mg one but if its not then I have some news for him, I had a 20mg router given to me by Virgin Media and I had nothing but problems with it, I did every thing and I even got a new one from virgin but with no luck, lol, my advice if you have one of those crapy routers is to just go out and buy a router that is not Netgear if your on 20mg or lower, that will work believe me,lol, i did that, but I moved this year to there 50mg broadband and I was given there new Netgear router, I still have problems, I have internet speed problems the modem keeps losing internet connection, it drives me mad, I have sorted the speed problems out because that was the setting where the problem was, but virgin teck guys told me that they are seeing my computers name on there systems and not the routers name which is netgear1, they did a lot of testing which all resulted in them sending out a new router which should be with me in the next 3 to 5 days, well my advice is ring virgin first and if they cant do anything then they will tell you if you should ring netgear or they will let you know if you will get a new router in the post, that would be your best bet i think but i am no expert on this issue, lol.
Netgear will not support any Virgin supplied router so if anyone has directed you to them they were giving you poor support.

You will probably receive a D Link DIR 615 N router as we no longer supply the Netgear WNR2000 router and the OP has the Netgear WGR614 router which has never been supplied on any 50Mb package.

neilboardman
10-11-2009, 00:34
is the D Link router better then the wnr2000 router becuase these wnr2000 routers cause to many problems.

PS: why are you saying VM has never had the WGR614 when I have two of those routers which was supplied by VM last year.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

oh sorry on any 50mg missed that one out, no not on the 50mg they supply it on lower packages though.

Peter_
10-11-2009, 06:57
is the D Link router better then the wnr2000 router becuase these wnr2000 routers cause to many problems.

PS: why are you saying VM has never had the WGR614 when I have two of those routers which was supplied by VM last year.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------

oh sorry on any 50mg missed that one out, no not on the 50mg they supply it on lower packages though.
The D Link appears to be a much better router and sets up easier.

The WGR614 has been the main basic router for years.

Pantsu-san
10-11-2009, 14:41
The D Link appears to be a much better router.

Moldova,

Seeing as VM have dropped the WNR2000 is there any way to get mine swapped out with the better model? I've already had one replaced by a senior blokie out of Liverpool but now he just ignores my emails :( Cheers, Alan.

I'm fed up of mine choking on a daily basis and I don't know who'll listen to/sympathise with my complaints any more. It's up & down like a whore's drawers at the moment.

Thanks.

P-san

PS. VM newsgroup support people told me to go to Netgear for support with my WNR2000 and they were goddamn useless as well as costing about £12 in phonecalls. Grumble grumble.

Sephiroth
10-11-2009, 14:54
If people need higher end functions (some do some don't) they should get a higher end router.

VM's supplied router is based on their assessment of a modestly used home service. But if, for example , you're gonna have several wireless users, or you need port forwarding with NAT loopback, then the VM supplied routers either don't have the legs or they don't have the functionality.

The problem is that peops getting into this are oblivious at the point of sale to the gotchas. I don't blame peops and I don't blame VM. But if you find need more legs, you gotta buy them and not expect much from the 'free' offering from VM.

Pantsu-san
10-11-2009, 17:27
If people need higher end functions (some do some don't) they should get a higher end router.

I totally agree with you, however, VM decided that they didn't want to supply the POS they left with me any more - perhaps because of too many people complaining?

VM's supplied router is based on their assessment of a modestly used home service.

Actually, as mentioned above, VM stopped supplying the apalling WNR2000 a number of months ago so I seem to be stuck with their initially poor assessment of a modestly used home service

But if, for example , you're gonna have several wireless users

Nope, just one.

or you need port forwarding with NAT loopback then

Again, nope.

the VM supplied routers either don't have the legs or they don't have the functionality.

Couldn't have said it better myself /golfclap

The problem is that peops getting into this are oblivious at the point of sale to the gotchas. I don't blame peops and I don't blame VM. But if you find need more legs, you gotta buy them and not expect much from the 'free' offering from VM.

I'm a senior IT consultant. I fully understand what to expect and what not to expect. I see and recommend products to customers on a daily basis. I have not and would not ever recommend any of Netgear's products to begin with, not even if I were giving them away for free.

If you need me to elaborate further, then I shall, but thanks for your input. No. Really.

Ignitionnet
10-11-2009, 17:35
I see a WoW player Pantsu-san. ;)

Sephiroth
10-11-2009, 17:41
I totally agree with you.....

I'm a senior IT consultant. I fully understand what to expect and what not to expect. I see and recommend products to customers on a daily basis....

So am I - and I totally agree with you too.

But most of the people here with problems are somewhat trusting, don't you think? They're the ones who expect more from the offer than what they can achieve. So they come here, and we help/tell them what's what.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

You're just jealous, my friend!

Pantsu-san
10-11-2009, 18:11

*stands up*
*squirms nervously*

Hi. My name's Pantsu-san, and I have a problem.

Oh, is it just me sharing, this evening? :D

Yes, between me and the wife, we're rocking about 13 level 80 characters, so there's a lot of heroics being run to keep on top of the loot/end game before 3.3 rolls around later in November. On a bunch of servers, but based mainly out of Darkmoon Faire. Any other addicts here?

Ahem. sorry about that. Damn those WNR2000s

Ignitionnet
10-11-2009, 19:14
Wouldn't go as far as addict but that I spotted you from /golfclap says something ;)

Yes the WNR2000 Is cheap and poopy but so are the modems. Killed modem twice earlier :)

AndyCalling
11-11-2009, 00:04
The Netgear WGR614V9 is, on the otherhand, really quite reliable for home use. The Virgin firmware is pants mind, but after getting rid of that mine's been a trojan.

I used to use an old Netgear DG814 ADSL router, and that was also a really reliable box. It still works, but has been cupboarded now I'm on cable.

bomber_g
11-11-2009, 17:30
can't you just phone customer service and say

"hi there, the router you supplied doesn't light up anymore - no i've checked the fuse it's clearly broken. Can I have a new one please, thanks - oh wow a get a new model? really great!"

Pantsu-san
11-11-2009, 22:18
can't you just phone customer service and say

"hi there, the router you supplied doesn't light up anymore - no i've checked the fuse it's clearly broken. Can I have a new one please, thanks - oh wow a get a new model? really great!"

Being the honest person I am, I've never thought of doing this, but it seems you're now seducing me with the darkside - just don't go telling me your my father!

bomber_g
12-11-2009, 23:26
Being the honest person I am, I've never thought of doing this, but it seems you're now seducing me with the darkside - just don't go telling me your my father!

Lol your right, maybe it is slightly immoral - I'd probably flash the firmware as mentioned above but I really doubt VM would give you support for it after that.

nav007
13-11-2009, 09:47
I have a WGR614V4 router for a few years now. Wired and wirelessly given me no problems at all.

xpod
13-11-2009, 11:23
I have a WGR614V4 router for a few years now. Wired and wirelessly given me no problems at all.

I have a V6 that lay in a drawer for the first year or so i had the thing.
I acquired it over the phone when they first began handing them out for only the cost of p&p.I think a few of us grabbed those £7.50 routers, even though we never actually needed them.
I have an excuse being a canny Scot of course....not sure about the rest though:D
I never even used it until my only modable Linksys router was damaged while moving home about a year ago.The VM supplied Netgear has worked just fine as our main router since then although i also use a separate Linksys(unmodable wrt54g) as a wireless access point.Not because i have to but only because of the extra control(without modding) i have over the connection in question.It is only our girls who really use it so it`s the only part of our network that is filtered in any way.

Buffalo12
18-11-2009, 22:57
I have had two of the Netgear routers and now on a D-Link DR-615 which is falling about all over the place not granting IP addresses. I would be happy to buy my own if I could be assured that it could support the 50mbps speed but there seems no information on what is suitable..... getting very frustrated on this....

Sephiroth
18-11-2009, 23:20
I have had two of the Netgear routers and now on a D-Link DR-615 which is falling about all over the place not granting IP addresses. I would be happy to buy my own if I could be assured that it could support the 50mbps speed but there seems no information on what is suitable..... getting very frustrated on this....

You could Google "High End Routers". The following manufacturers come to mind:

Buffalo
Linksys

You'd want to go for Gigabit routers with Wireless N.