PDA

View Full Version : Worth taking the plunge?

Mezzle
07-11-2009, 12:31
Ok, so I've just spoken to VM, who've told me it'll cost me £8 extra per month to upgrade to 50Mb BB (With a £35 install fee)

I'm wondering if it's worth the plunge.

I currently run exclusively Ubuntu. While I've never had a problem with this before.. (things just seem to work - in fact, I remember once at an old house having a very helpful engineer hook up computer first, and say "it might take up to 48 hours to connect" - and then, while downstairs installing the STB, hearing my computer (which I'd previously been playing music rather loudly through) beep for an incoming IM)

I'm guessing that the equipment for the 50Mb B is similar (Modem that can be connected via ethernet + router?)

Also, I'm curious, is there somewhere someone can point me that shows the difference technically between 20Mb and 50Mb (aka, why do I need new equipment)

Sephiroth
07-11-2009, 18:18
I can only answer the second part of your enquiry, although I'd comment that UBUNTU shouldn't matter ajot assuming you've got your NIC set up in a conventional manner. Of course you know that anyway.

The 20Mbps is routed differently from the 50Mbps service.

The former uses DOCSIS 1.x, the latter uses DOCSIS 3.0 and at this time thus different routers.

Finally at your end, a DOCSIS 3 capable modem is required. So that's the set of differences.