PDA

View Full Version : Decided to take the plunge and get 50mb broadband.

MacmillaN
07-11-2009, 01:13
Been reading a lot of peoples comments regarding it and i have to say i hope all goes well for me when i get it installed on Tuesday although that said the service upgrade online and the email back to confirm it was:-

-----
Your Installation

We're sending one of our technicians round on 17/11/09 between 8AM-1PM to install your Virgin Media services. It should only take about two hours to get all the equipment up and running.
----

I guess it will not take 2 hours as stated in the email:

I am currently on the 20mb service, so as i have read online it will be a modem swap and a check of the signal levels and then a set up of the router, although i have seen that, they do not always come with the technicians and are sent separate, if someone could also give a brief breakdown of what is meant to happen when the technicians arrives as i will not be at home and am having a friend in the house to deal with the tea and coffee making :P and to check over the work when he is their ;).

Anything to double check before he leaves, aside from can the computer actually connect to the internet and load websites.

Thanks

bryanbellis
07-11-2009, 08:02
Had mine done yesterday. Took about an hour, but much of that was bloke on the phone to VM to get the 50 switched on. All happened totally flawlessly, and http://www.speedtest.net/ with London selected gives me just over 50Mbps.

Bloke didn't install the router, left me to do it. No issues. Checked router firmware, and was already up to date.

I'm running with Windows 7 32 bit. All no issues, works flawlessly, upgrade was easy, great.

Stabhappy
07-11-2009, 08:52
Had ours done on the 2nd. Wasn't here for the install and it was a little slower than expected the first evening but after a tech visit to slightly decrease the downstream power it appears to be working flawlessly.

caroline
07-11-2009, 13:38
glad to see both of yours is working ok , im getting 50 meg in a couple of weeks , cant wait ....

MacmillaN
09-11-2009, 03:55
Thanks for your replies hope my install etc goes well!

gumpy321
09-11-2009, 10:35
Had mine done just over two months ago now. Works fine.

MacmillaN
14-11-2009, 08:02
Sorry about bumping this thread...
Just a couple of questions.
but do you get firmware updates from Virgin for the modem...

Also, what ever router you get supplied i guess you have to use Virgins firmware on them and does that get updated from time to time, to coincide with the manufactures changes/fixes

If the answer is no, then i guess it is breach of contract to flash the router with the manufactures firmware.

Peter_
14-11-2009, 08:41
Sorry about bumping this thread...
Just a couple of questions.
but do you get firmware updates from Virgin for the modem...

Also, what ever router you get supplied i guess you have to use Virgins firmware on them and does that get updated from time to time, to coincide with the manufactures changes/fixes

If the answer is no, then i guess it is breach of contract to flash the router with the manufactures firmware.
Any updates for the modem come down automatically whenever you reboot it if any available.

If the is a firmware upgrade for the supplied N router you get a dialogue box asking your permission to install it which you can allow.

MacmillaN
17-11-2009, 12:55
Just got the up to 50mb service installed, although the engineer had to leave obviously due to other people getting things installed, he had a problem with the first modem when he tried to get it connected to a system called the walled garden or something he said it can take up to around 3 hours and the VM It Department would be trying to sort it, he then brought in another modem connected it up and then he left.
When he left he was sitting in the van for ages on the phone and as soon as he left the modem connected.

He did say he would call in a few hours to see if everything was alright and if i needed help in getting the router set-up.

The router is a Netgear WNb2100 he talked me thorough the router set up which seemed simple insert the Netgear cd and follow on-screen instructions.

I am using Windows 7 Pro and i cannot get the setup from the cd to load.
is the disc not compatible with windows 7 Pro.

MacmillaN
17-11-2009, 15:23
UPDATE - Engineer came back and installed the router without the cd, he also checked if the firmware version on the router was up to date which it wasn't.

He then double checked the on-demand services on both set-top boxes and then left.

He did not check the the signals of the modem.

Paul
17-11-2009, 16:38
Well i got my 50 Meg installed today. So far its running ok. :D

MacmillaN
17-11-2009, 16:57
Nice Paul M :P ( Hope everything holds up for you)

The Engineer was fantastic compared to some of them i have came across in the past.

Ignitionnet
17-11-2009, 17:23
Hope it works alright for you Paul. Interesting choice of signature too, lyrics from Poker Face by Lady Gaga :)

martyh
17-11-2009, 17:37
had mine for 2 weeks today now ,no probs at all apart from random cutouts for the first few days but that was rectified last week with some works in another street according to vm ,since then no probs :) :tu:

MacmillaN
19-11-2009, 13:15
Ever since having 50mb installed on Tuesday i appear to be having issues with random loss of TV service for a few seconds then comes back and also loss of sound, also the modem light on the normal box in the living room was flashing and the online light on the back bedroom was flashing also, just i did not have the bedroom TV on, just the living room one...

I also could not get connected to the internet during that time, but as soon as i reset the modem i could get online and the modem and online lights stopped flashing.

Retrovertigo
20-11-2009, 20:52
Had a visit today for my 50mb install and have a quick question please. The guy sorted out the modem and called through for the walled garden thing or whatever it is called. He said it would take up to 24 hours to be activated, but that most likley it would be done by tea time. I was 12:30pm when he fitted it

Needless to say it hasn't been. But at first I got a screen up saying to "click here for broadband activation" -and clicking on it lead nowhere. But just now with a reset to see if it has been activated, it takes me to a VM welcome screen and to contact them. So something has changed?

Tried calling VM but in the process of transferring me they cut me off. So, is it worth calling them? Are there people around on Saturdays to get it activated still?

I'm a bit cheesed off as I wasn't told activation could take a while and a now stuck at someone else's house posting this. Totally stuck with no net and the weeknd looming isn't much fun :/

Peter_
20-11-2009, 20:54
Call the 50Mb Support Team tomorrow morning after 0800 and before 1600 on 0800 052 0431 and one of us will sort you out.

Sephiroth
20-11-2009, 20:59
Just keep calling them. They're 24x7. I don't know if the dedicated line (0800 052 0431) is business hours only - but keep pegging at 150 is your only chance for the weekend.

Peter_
20-11-2009, 22:14
Just keep calling them. They're 24x7. I don't know if the dedicated line (0800 052 0431) is business hours only - but keep pegging at 150 is your only chance for the weekend.
50Mb Monday - Friday 0800 - 2000 Saturday 0800 - 1600 pot luck after that.

I have posted the above a few times.

150 is not for faults you need to call 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

Retrovertigo
21-11-2009, 21:00
well, phoned the 50meg helpline and got nowhere. Couldn't give me any idea when it will be activated. It has been a day and a half now. Leaving me with no net = pathetic

Peter_
21-11-2009, 21:01
well, phoned the 50meg helpline and got nowhere. Couldn't give me any idea when it will be activated. It has been a day and a half now. Leaving me with no net = pathetic
What time did you ring.

Retrovertigo
22-11-2009, 00:20
I called at around 11.15 on sat morning. A decent sounding guy said he had put the request through again and that it shouldn't take long. Waited until sat eve and called back to be told it was still with the tech team. The guy i initially spoke to was with the 50meg team and seemed confident it would be sorted. But obviiusly it hasn't been and ican imagine monday will now be the soonest it will get done. Very disappointed to be left with no idea why it isn't being sorted.

Peter_
22-11-2009, 10:04
I called at around 11.15 on sat morning. A decent sounding guy said he had put the request through again and that it shouldn't take long. Waited until sat eve and called back to be told it was still with the tech team. The guy i initially spoke to was with the 50meg team and seemed confident it would be sorted. But obviiusly it hasn't been and ican imagine monday will now be the soonest it will get done. Very disappointed to be left with no idea why it isn't being sorted.
If it has been raised to IT then it would not be done at the weekend as their SLA is working days excluding the weekend, when you are online ask for some compensation for loss of service.

Retrovertigo
22-11-2009, 12:10
you have perfectly highlighted one of my biggest beefs with VM. I specifically asked CS last night if I was now stuck until Monday, and was told that the IT guys dealkng with it work 24/7 7 days a week. When some staff don't know the answer, they tell you what you want to hear rather than just asking someone /:

sterritt
22-11-2009, 12:54
Im thinking of upgrading from 20meg but was wondering whats the traffic shaping like?

On 20 get we get reduced during certain hours if you exceed a certain amount downloaded?

thanks for any info.

Paul
22-11-2009, 13:56
Hope it works alright for you Paul. Interesting choice of signature too, lyrics from Poker Face by Lady Gaga :)
Totally off topic, but its amazing how few people know that. :D

As for the 50M - its working fine atm, the only problem is that it seems to overwhelm my poor linksys router after a while, causing the speed to fall to sub 10M. I have to reboot the router to get full speed again.

I guess if this continues I'll have to look at the router VM supply.

Peter_
22-11-2009, 14:22
Im thinking of upgrading from 20meg but was wondering whats the traffic shaping like?

On 20 get we get reduced during certain hours if you exceed a certain amount downloaded?

thanks for any info.
The is no Traffic Management on 50Mb click below for more information.

--------------------------------------------------

Check this link out if you downloaded the amounts specified during the time periods shown you will have your speed cut to the limits listed.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Sephiroth
22-11-2009, 14:46
Totally off topic, but its amazing how few people know that. :D

As for the 50M - its working fine atm, the only problem is that it seems to overwhelm my poor linksys router after a while, causing the speed to fall to sub 10M. I have to reboot the router to get full speed again.

I guess if this continues I'll have to look at the router VM supply.

Now there's something interesting for others to note. Which Linksys router is this?

EDIT: BTW, I came across a highly relevant disciussion: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/virgin_cable/3642991-50mb-broadband-you-may-want-to-read-this.html

The nub of it was this:

1. Non-gigabit routers are not 50 Mbps friendly (for reasons explained in the discussion)

2. The Windows Network stack was not optimal.