PDA

View Full Version : Getting new IP from Virgin

Pushkar
06-11-2009, 19:55
Hello,

Im having problems visiting a certain site, it works fine everywhere else apart from home (on all computers). It's not a cache fault my end, it's something to do with Virgin to the server.

Obviously it works quite alright using the Virgin Webcache Proxy, although this slows down the connection a little bit, I was on the phone to the techies today about another problem, and it reset the ip to a different one, the website worked fine! ofcourse when I unplugged everything to get my router to work, back to the old IP and problems with the site again.

I was wondering how to get a new IP, unplugging the modem doesnt work. Will Virgin give me a new IP if I phone them?

Peter_
06-11-2009, 20:00
See if your router allows you to clone the PC's MAC address which will give you another IP as Virgin IP's are dynamic in nature and cannot be assigned.

Welshchris
06-11-2009, 23:56
Pushkar, do u have dual Ethernet ports on ur Pc?

If so just power off the modem, swap ethernet ports and power back up.

The PIT
07-11-2009, 23:44
See if your router allows you to clone the PC's MAC address which will give you another IP as Virgin IP's are dynamic in nature and cannot be assigned.

When did that change??

When I first joined the first mac address used was set attaching another mac address meant no lease.

Jon T
08-11-2009, 00:27
If you power cycle the modem it will allow it to bind to another client mac address. I'm not sure if this is new in ex-telewest areas, but ex-ntl have been this way for a long time.

moaningmags
08-11-2009, 00:29
Been that way with ex-Telewest for a long time. Gone are the days when you were allowed only 5 MAC addresses and if you changed your computer you had to call in and remove a MAC to add a new one.

The PIT
08-11-2009, 19:53
Been that way with ex-Telewest for a long time. Gone are the days when you were allowed only 5 MAC addresses and if you changed your computer you had to call in and remove a MAC to add a new one.

Well just over a year ago I had to clone the mac address of my pc to my router otherwise it wouldn't get a lease.

I also know of others that had to do this.

Peter_
08-11-2009, 20:02
Well just over a year ago I had to clone the mac address of my pc to my router otherwise it wouldn't get a lease.

I also know of others that had to do this.
That used to be the case with EX-NTL accounts and but has definitely not been the case for at least 2 years.

This has never been the case with EX-Telewest modems.