PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Virgin Media Signal

Adrian80
06-11-2009, 13:02
Hi guys,

I have had a good hunt around and cant quite find the answer i am looking for.

The installers connected virgin media in the corner of the lounge. However the TV is in the other corner.

I have digi coax, in that corner going up into the roof, and then back down on the other side of the room.

The connection is vm, coax, faceplate, coax in wall to roof, f connector join in roof, coax down to lounge, faceplate, vm box.

When i send the signal up and down, and connect it to the tv i get signal, but i think its a bit weak, some channels can be a little pixelly , and i dont get the OD services.

I bought one of these thinking it would do the job of boosting the signal.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/69457/Electrical-Supplies/TV-Range/Amplifiers-Distribution/Labgear-HDU681-S-Home-Distribution-Unit-8-Way

I plugged this booster in the lounge next to virgins installation, and then sent the signal up to the roof and back down. The signal is worse than without it.

Is the above the right type of signal booster, or do i need something different. Which Chanel should i have plugged it in to, UHF is the only one that worked....

Can virgin boost their signal to my property?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

i have a samsung V box

Cheers
Adrian

Graham M
06-11-2009, 13:08
You will need to phone Virgin to boost the signal from the cab, but they will want to use their own properly graded cable and probably won't use your sockets, plus they will be likely to charge.

SnoopZ
06-11-2009, 13:12
Surely they won't charge him as it sounds like he's got a fault as his OD services are not working.

But as Graham says Adrian you need to phone Virgin and get them to sort it out.

Adrian80
06-11-2009, 13:18
I installed PF100 Cable into the walls.

I kind of hoped that would be sufficient.

I would be happy with them installing a cable out side the house and into the roof space, but i really dont want a load of exposed cabling pined to my new plaster.

Is there any kind of signal booster i can use as it enters the house?

Cheers
A

nodrogd
06-11-2009, 16:26
VM use a huge chunck of spectrum from 5 - 1000Mhz. I doubt you will easily get an amp that deals with that bandwidth. There's also the problem that signals in the VM cable are bi-directional. Not to mention that its against VM's T & C's as it could cause interference on the network.

Adrian80
06-11-2009, 16:33
Many thanks for the reply, that is a large bandwidth. Will get on to VM and see if i can get them to boost the signal, if not i think i will get freesat....

highway1
06-11-2009, 19:05
if u play with the cable if u break it there charge u and fine u .
if u want extra boxes are £5 a month each plus fitting sometimes might be free fitting .

freesat boxes high def ( free to air are £120 a box ) can run 8 satellite of 1 dish if u got the money. and a few meters of coax ;-).

quoke.
virgin changes died boxes .
freesat u need to pay for line up or died box if any.

steve100
07-11-2009, 10:17
You want one of these http://mediacables.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_50&products_id=337

This shop sells everything that you need for cable installs most of the stuff is the same as stuff that virgin use and they can tell you how it should be all set up.

Kwak
16-11-2009, 16:07
Hi Adrian80,
If you want to do it properly get VM to do it, but failing that, if you want to do it yourself and use what VM will use then use either of these.....
http://www.technetix.com/productDetails.asp?pageID=110&i=1314
or
http://www.technetix.com/productDetails.asp?pageID=110&i=966

They are approved and used by Virgin when there is not enough signal.
Regards

luellin
17-11-2009, 22:02
ok signal quality can only uped with an engineer comming out if you phone in with a fault they will send a service tech out if you tampred with what your instakller done or tried to self move a box you will be charged for the waist of time however if you have it pluged in were it was installed they wont charge you to sort it out they will either fit whats called an hdu (powewrd splitter ) same ones Kwak showed are used but us in tyhe install and service job or they will up your cable in the cabinet down the road if its way to low they will get a new cable pulled into the property (not done the same day) upgrading from 6mm cable to 11mm to improve signal. if you trying to view upstairs what you have downstairs you can just jump in to the arial out on the box (if you have any not available on new samsun v+) and tune in your outher tvs making sure the cable goin into your loft if split off is pluged into the in feed not you loft arial. also in most areas the areal lead on the boxes have now been disabled and no longer work you have to get a box for every tv