PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Broadband help needed! Modem not recognised?

alienpanda
06-11-2009, 08:50
OK, heres the story - and ANY advice here would be appreciated!! lol!

I have been a VM Customer ever since I moved into this flat back in 2005, I have Phone, V+ and Broadband with them.

Ever since moving in I have had the broadband via a 2nd set top box in the bedroom, via direct ethernet connecton set top box to computer -- and this was gving me 10mb and worked perfectly. SO far so good....

Then, however out of the blue about 3 weeks ago on the 10th October, the internet just stopped working. I tried rebooting the STB etc but still nothing. So I called VM and they told me that Broadband via STB is not supported now and I have to upgrade to a modem and an enginner will come out in 3 weeks to fit it. They apologised for the impending 3 weeks lack of service and arranged a credit, fine - no issues so far.

Yesterday, installation day, the enginner arrived bang on time (in fact 15 minutes earlier!) and came to fit the modem... Again, so far so good. The enginner advised me to wait about an hour before switching it on then to try. SO I followed his advice, but nothing happned.

Then after a little while longer I tried again, opened a web page an it directs me to the VM Broadband activation page -- and tells me to call 151 and to speak to someone so they can activate the modem before I can access the internet....

This is know where I am stuck and need some help...... I have now called them 4 times, bear in mind each time I am on hold for 30-40 minutes to get through.... here is the summary of the calls so far....

5th Nov 1pm - Initial call, they take the MAC Address of the router, but tell me they can't connect due to system problem at their end and to try again in 2 hours.

5th Nov 3pm - 2nd Call, Same thing - they take all my details but then tell me they cannot get a signal. They take me through the generic steps of rebooting the PC, and the modem etc, still nothing so they advise me to call back later,.

5th Nov, 5pm - 3rd Call, I give it another try - same thing only this time witht the added fun of being on hold for 40 minutes, for the guy to tell me im at the wrong dept, who transfers me to somewhere else, sho transfers me back again to the original place - on hold for 40 mins again, back of the same queue to be told they dont it's not recognising the modem and to try again tomorrow.

6th Nov, 8am - Morning everyone! Were bang up to date it's this morning and my latest call...

I get through again after 30 mins on hold. Again, she tries to get a signal to the modem, fails, tells me to do all the reboot rigmorole, still nothing, and they are telling me there is nothing more they can do from their end as atechnical dept and to try customer services....

and thats where I'm at.

Before I try customer services (and I bet they transfer me over to technical!) has anyone here experienced this and can anyone try and help me to solve this?

Thanks! I look forward to any replies!!

:-)

Peter_
06-11-2009, 09:05
Only Tech Support can sort this out for you and normally it should be a few minutes on the phone.

alienpanda
06-11-2009, 09:09
Only Tech Support can sort this out for you and normally it should be a few minutes on the phone.

I know, but sadly this seems to not be the case...

Peter_
06-11-2009, 09:33
The only number that can help is 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and if you get through ask what the issue actually is that is causing this.

By now the will be a large queue to get through to them as we are very busy.

The other option is via the Newsgroups

Tech Support via Newsgroups.

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable is the one that you want to use and here is the set up link http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

alienpanda
06-11-2009, 09:36
The only number that can help is 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and if you get through ask what the issue actually is that is causing this.

By now the will be a large queue to get through to them as we are very busy.

The other option is via the Newsgroups

Tech Support via Newsgroups.

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable is the one that you want to use and here is the set up link http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

Hi, Just called 151 after being on hold, they say the issue is they are trying to send a signal to the router but it is not recognised??

Peter_
06-11-2009, 09:37
Hi, Just called 151 after being on hold, they say the issue is they are trying to send a signal to the router but it is not recognised??
You mean the modem but I know what you mean did they give you a timescale.

alienpanda
06-11-2009, 09:41
You mean the modem but I know what you mean did they give you a timescale.

Yeah modem sorry

They told me to call CS after 10am as there is now nothing more TS can do they have tried everything?

Peter_
06-11-2009, 10:42
They told me to call CS after 10am as there is now nothing more TS can do they have tried everything?
It will not be an issue that Customer Services can deal with and they will transfer you once again to Tech Support, guaranteed.

alienpanda
06-11-2009, 20:37
called back TS and they have escalated this under ref 12567346 - and they have now given me a time scale of 4 to 5 days!!!!

Iv'e posted the same topic over on digitalspy forum, and they reckon it might be because Ive gone from STB to Stand alone modem and they might not have changed the code on the account hence why they can't hit the modem???

Peter_
07-11-2009, 16:07
called back TS and they have escalated this under ref 12567346 - and they have now given me a time scale of 4 to 5 days!!!!

Iv'e posted the same topic over on digitalspy forum, and they reckon it might be because Ive gone from STB to Stand alone modem and they might not have changed the code on the account hence why they can't hit the modem???
It will be a provisioning issue as by now they would know if the correct code is on and it will have been raised to IT for a resolution.

alienpanda
08-11-2009, 18:40
Could I be stuck in the walled garden?? If so, how do I find my way out??

Peter_
08-11-2009, 20:07
Could I be stuck in the walled garden?? If so, how do I find my way out??
It will be a provisioning issue which going by what you have posted has been raised to IT for a resolution.

alienpanda
08-11-2009, 20:37
It will be a provisioning issue which going by what you have posted has been raised to IT for a resolution.

Will they contact me do you reckon, or will have have to keep chasing..?

Peter_
08-11-2009, 20:50
Will they contact me do you reckon, or will have have to keep chasing..?
If it is not working by Wednesday give them another call for an update.

alienpanda
08-11-2009, 23:39
If it is not working by Wednesday give them another call for an update.

Will do, thanks - that seems fair :angel: