PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my phone fixed?

Fred Fish
05-11-2009, 22:04
I have had a problem with my line in excess of 4 weeks now.

There is a severe "crackle" on the line to the extent I cannot use the phone.

About 3 weeks ago an engineer came out and replaced the socket and said that "might" sort it out but he would get someone to check the cables outside the house. Since then the line has become worse - the worst occasion was when I was ordering some new medication from the chemist and the line went dead. I tried on my mobile and they we engaged for about 1/2 an hour. When I got through to them it transpired that the reason they were engaged was that when the phone cut out at my end it stayed connected to them, blocking their line for 1/2 an hour.

I tried 150 and got through to distant lands and was told that they couldn’t do anything as the fault logging system was down and I would have to call back !!!!! (that really gives me confidence that they will be able to sort my problem when they cant even keep their own systems working).

I tried again 2 days ago (foolishly I have just upgraded to VIP and was trying to sort that out !) - customer support had to call me back on my mobile as the line was so bad they couldn’t hear me. After I sorted out my issue with upgrading to VIP she asked if there was anything else - I told her I needed to be transferred to the support team dealing with landlines. She told me I would have to call on 151 as she wasn’t supposed to transfer me (something to do with the fact that she had called me back and wasn’t supposed to as the team was very busy - nothing like customer services making you feel like other peoples problems are more important than mine! - I pointed out that the reason she had to call me was that the phone line was so poor that she couldn’t hear me so what was the point in telling me to call 151. After a brief pause she said she would transfer me. After about 10 seconds of hold music the line went dead.

So now I am on VIP I have a phone line that I cant use - I have had an engineer out, conversations with CS that establish that the line is unusable - I think you can tell I am feeling a little bit miffed.......

So where do I go from here?

Incidentally at one point I was told I would get compensation on my bill. I pointed out that I would much rather have a phone that worked! And that is still the case. Believe it or not I am actually VERY happy with Virgin (hence the reason I have just upgraded to VIP). All I want is a phone that I can actually use.

Any suggestions...........

Ben B
05-11-2009, 22:09
Hi,

You could post your problems on the newsgroups then you don't have to worry about them not being able to hear you. The set up guide is here www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups) and the group you want is virginmedia.support.telephony.

Ben :)

Fred Fish
05-11-2009, 22:24
Hi,

You could post your problems on the newsgroups then you don't have to worry about them not being able to hear you. The set up guide is here www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups) and the group you want is virginmedia.support.telephony.

Ben :)

Thanks for the suggestion - I didnt know about the newsgroups - thanks again.

Regards

John

bonzoe
08-11-2009, 16:42
May sound daft, but have you tried another phone? My old phone caused crackling noise.

Peter_
09-11-2009, 17:42
May sound daft, but have you tried another phone? My old phone caused crackling noise.
The engineer would have tried his own test handset.

bonzoe
09-11-2009, 18:48
The engineer would have tried his own test handset.

I would say that is an assumption, not a fact!

Peter_
09-11-2009, 18:51
I would say that is an assumption, not a fact!
All engineers have their own test kit and will use it to determine if the is a fault, plus even Customer Services have agreed to refund his charges due to issue.

bonzoe
10-11-2009, 18:40
All engineers have their own test kit and will use it to determine if the is a fault, plus even Customer Services have agreed to refund his charges due to issue.

Since the OP did not say that another phone had been tried, I said that it is an assumption.

You are correct, the engineer should try another phone, but engineers don't ALWAYS do that which they SHOULD. ;)

Peter_
10-11-2009, 19:39
Since the OP did not say that another phone had been tried, I said that it is an assumption.

You are correct, the engineer should try another phone, but engineers don't ALWAYS do that which they SHOULD. ;)
In the case of a phone issue I would expect the engineer to use a test handset as otherwise the is no way a diagnosis could be said to have been done.

If my phoneline was at fault and he did not check it with his own handset I would ask why not.

bonzoe
11-11-2009, 20:24
Yes, so would I.

I wasn't having a go at VM, just a general comment, people in general, including techies, do not always do that which they should.

Speaking for myself, I have had good service from VM.

Peter_
11-11-2009, 21:29
Yes, so would I.

I wasn't having a go at VM, just a general comment, people in general, including techies, do not always do that which they should.

Speaking for myself, I have had good service from VM.
I know that and I would expect any engineer to use everything at his disposal to check for faults.

Digital Fanatic
12-11-2009, 13:56
Thanks for the suggestion - I didnt know about the newsgroups - thanks again.

Regards

John

Let us know how you get on Fred Fish. :)

luellin
17-11-2009, 21:44
ok phone fixes for the crqackle on the line if you look in your cable box that thould be fixed to your outside wall there will be the line in there usualy nowdays 2 pairs coming in a blue set and orange set check ther cable is not showing any copper there if it is thats probably the problem some techs strip them back after the joiners (jellys the small crimped things joining them) wich they shouldent its just lazy any copper showing can result in the copper being subject to water wich is never good if it is youll need to cut it back to were the copper is coverd in the sheeth then rejoin. to rejoin you can use the litltle elkectric joiners with screws in them they work or if you can get hold of the jellys they ceep everything dry any tch about should be able to hand you some just slide them on and squeez with pliers. if its not that then check the phone with another wierless handsets sometimes case the crackle not due o bad phone but intefearance in your area.(wierles networcs and sutch

joyceandbill
13-12-2009, 15:29
our problem with our phone is getting them to come and look at it, they were supposed to come this morning but didnt turn up, phoned on the mobile but used all the credit up listening to the music, which believe it or not we had a choice of, we dont know anyone else on ntl, that we can get to phone

Digital Fanatic
13-12-2009, 15:45
our problem with our phone is getting them to come and look at it, they were supposed to come this morning but didnt turn up, phoned on the mobile but used all the credit up listening to the music, which believe it or not we had a choice of, we dont know anyone else on ntl, that we can get to phone

Hi,

have you tried the Newsgroups? They are UK based and will reply within 4 hours of posting (usually sooner) 8am - 10pm everyday. check the click Me link if you are not set up.

Click me ! (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up.php)

virginmedia.support.telephony
Support for those who need help with their phone service from Virgin Media.

HTH