PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Netbook

nick_f
03-11-2009, 19:54
Hey all does anyone know if i can buy the netbook off virgin directly?
if so for how much?

webcrawler2050
03-11-2009, 19:57
Hey all does anyone know if i can buy the netbook off virgin directly?
if so for how much?

I don't think you can.

nick_f
03-11-2009, 21:05
cheers mate gutted wanted a cheap netbook as just broke screen on my laptop!

Tony.
03-11-2009, 21:15
cheers mate gutted wanted a cheap netbook as just broke screen on my laptop!

You don't say which area your in so I went for a London site :shrug:

You could try somewhere like this www.laptoprepair.co.uk/Laptop-screen-repairs-london.htm

Could work out cheaper than a Netbook, always worth a call

nick_f
03-11-2009, 21:44
blackpool buddy, yeah thinking of getting a screen and changing it myself

roughbeast
03-11-2009, 22:00
I got mine for £50, no strings, just before they realised that not everybody was eligible. ;)

However, I have gone and done something drastic! :dunce: I upgraded the memory to 2gb and installed Windows 7!! The new system runs a treat, much faster than XP, just a bit of tweaking with Tune Up 2010 to avoid stressing the video card. There is one problem though.

I can't get sound playback to work. Sound can usually be activated through the FN key, just like the WiFi and Camera can. For some reason this doesn't work for sound and although the HiFi driver is installed no playback device is installed.

Has anyone a clue how I can get the system to detected and install a playback device?

Peter_
03-11-2009, 22:13
I got mine for £50, no strings, just before they realised that not everybody was eligible. ;)

However, I have gone and done something drastic! :dunce: I upgraded the memory to 2gb and installed Windows 7!! The new system runs a treat, much faster than XP, just a bit of tweaking with Tune Up 2010 to avoid stressing the video card. There is one problem though.

I can't get sound playback to work. Sound can usually be activated through the FN key, just like the WiFi and Camera can. For some reason this doesn't work for sound and although the HiFi driver is installed no playback device is installed.

Has anyone a clue how I can get the system to detected and install a playback device?
You do know that if that machine develops a fault that it is now unsupported and any repairs are down to you.;)

nick_f
04-11-2009, 18:09
how did you get one for 50 pounds?

BenMcr
04-11-2009, 18:14
You don't. It has been stopped. Plus it was a one off £50 onto of paying at least £58 a month for services for 2 years

nopcode
04-11-2009, 20:41
There is an unoficial website which apparently contains the drivers you need roughbeast.

A little googling takes you pretty much there.

Matt-08
04-11-2009, 21:51
Sure I read somewhere it can be bought on its own for £260.

roughbeast
04-11-2009, 21:54
There is an unoficial website which apparently contains the drivers you need roughbeast.

A little googling takes you pretty much there.

I've been googling like crazy but haven't found the drivers that work yet.

nopcode
04-11-2009, 22:15
I've been googling like crazy but haven't found the drivers that work yet.

Check your pm's :)

BenMcr
04-11-2009, 22:20
Sure I read somewhere it can be bought on its own for £260.No that's how much you get charged for it if you cancel your services in the first year of the two year contract

If you cancel or downgrade your services during the minimum contract period, you will incur an early disconnection fee which may also include a fee in respect of the netbook as follows: if you cancel during the first year of the 24 month minimum term contract period you will have to pay the full cost of the netbook (£260). If you cancel during the second year of the 24 month minimum term contract you will have to pay half the cost of the netbook (£130)

pythagoras
04-11-2009, 23:45
You do know that if that machine develops a fault that it is now unsupported and any repairs are down to you.;)

Why would that be the case? The ram sticks are user upgradeable and updating the operating system wont invalidate the warranty either.

Regards

John.

BenMcr
05-11-2009, 06:32
The whole reason why there is only 1 stick in the netbook is so that the RAM can be upgraded, so I can't see adding another one would be a big issue

roughbeast
05-11-2009, 17:09
Why would that be the case? The ram sticks are user upgradeable and updating the operating system wont invalidate the warranty either.

Regards

John.

I agee. You only invalidate your warranty if you cause damage by misuse. This is in common case law.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

how did you get one for 50 pounds?

That was the going price, just for a short time. It was offered to people who had been with VM for 2 years or who were prepared to commit to a similar contract. The offer was soon changed to exclude existing members. I slipped through just in time.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Thanks to Nopcode I now have sound. He directed me to the unofficial VM netbook site. There they have all relevant drivers for Windows 7.