PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 2100 modem problem

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 14:11
I have a problem with my modem.. It was working yesterday morning.. and have spoken to virgin **** media.. they have no clue.. so thought maybe someone else here may have experienced the issue and maybe able to help resolve this one..

I have a Scientific Atlantic 2100 modem.. Was working yesterday morning and connected fine to the internet in the evening it keeps coming up with limited activity and unidentified network local access only, well i have done some research on the virgin media website and found the problem is this:

If the first number in the address is 169, this lets you know that your computer failed to contact the DHCP server on the network. You will not be able to use the Internet or email with this IP address.

I have no clue how to resolve this please help stuck without the net.. I have tried resetting the modem and rebooting checked all the cables everything is fine just wont connect. Virgin are no help.

thanks

NoKnowledge
03-11-2009, 14:50
How are you connected? by USB or ethernet and are you connected directly into the modem or are you using wireless.

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 14:52
connected via ethernet.. and directly to modem

moaningmags
03-11-2009, 14:54
I've only ever managed to fix an 'Unidentified Network' on Vista a few times.
A google search for Vista Unidentified Network will show you thousands of people having the same issue with various fixes given.

NoKnowledge
03-11-2009, 14:57
Turn off the modem at the wall for 2 mins and then restart your PC/Laptop and switch modem back on. Tell us how you get on.

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 15:02
ive tried the turn off at the wall for 2mins and never helped.. even did the troubleshooting from the vm website.. and nothing..

moaningmags - how did you fix the unidentified network on vista? will that fix my issue?

NoKnowledge
03-11-2009, 15:05
Did you restart your PC?

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 15:07
yes restarted pc.. and no luck still same messages

NoKnowledge
03-11-2009, 15:15
Have you installed or uninstalled anything,

If you have AV/firewall I would uninstall it and see what happens, remember to restart the PC after.

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 15:39
I have tried all the basic steps and nothing is working.. I believe its got something to do with the ip address, has no one experienced this before

moaningmags
03-11-2009, 15:48
If Vista won't or can't identify the network it will assign the computer a 169 ip address.
Have you tried a google search? As i said earlier there are loads of people who have had the same issue and various fixes are suggested.

Peter_
03-11-2009, 15:54
are you getting a 169ip as you never confirmed it but mentioned it in your first post.

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 15:58
yes getting 169 ip

Sephiroth
03-11-2009, 16:24
You could try giving the VM IP and DNS server addresses (normally served by the modem) to your ethernet card (Properties/TCP/IPv4/Properties.

i.e. forcing the connexion.

Ibn the ideal world the value shown in the Properties screen would be "Obtain IP address automatically". Same for DNS server.

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 16:30
how do i do this.. im not very technical.. but my cuzz works in I.T but lives in australia.. so hence the time difference causes probs.. hence why i joined this forum.. mite be able to get a resolution

Thanks for all the replies so far..

Sephiroth
03-11-2009, 16:45
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33630996-virgin-media-dns-servers.html

Read the above. It depends where you live. You could use the open source addresses given in the above link.

I've pointed you to the Device Manager entry and what you have to do there.

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 18:33
so do these enteries need to be added in device manager? where is this found in vista.. and just to confirm will i need to add these to enteries

Primary is 194.168.4.100

Secondary is 194.168.8.100

and will these sort out my ip address issue?

Sephiroth
03-11-2009, 20:10
I'm not so confident now. We'd need to know the DHCP server address in the Modem and the IP/v4 address served from VM. But if you can't connect, we can't get the IP/v4 address.

So try this:

1/
In the Command Prompt pane run:

netsh int reset all
netsh winsock reset

That should do a bit of useful resetting on your PC.

2/
Switch the modem off for two minutes then on again. Let it settle and tell us what the lights on the modem are doing.

3/
type in the CMD pane:

IPCONFIG /ALL > Fred.txt

Then open fred.txt in notepad and paste the contents here.

We'll see what's what and it mayt even be working.

designerdigits
03-11-2009, 21:26
Hi.. Thanks for all your replies today very impressed.. Just thought i'd update you so far.. basically my mate just got back from work and tried the internet and its working again strangely.. can't understand why it behaved like that.. is there anything i should do now incase it goes thru that situation again?

Sephiroth
03-11-2009, 21:39
Hi.. Thanks for all your replies today very impressed.. Just thought i'd update you so far.. basically my mate just got back from work and tried the internet and its working again strangely.. can't understand why it behaved like that.. is there anything i should do now incase it goes thru that situation again?

The investigative stuff from my last post if it happens again.

Right now there's no evidence.

Good luck.