PDA

View Full Version : wireless dropouts

wordsmith
03-11-2009, 12:00
Hi,
I have a part wired, part wireless network via a Dynamode 802.11g Mimo broadband router. The laptops experience dropouts as soon as the pc connects. Any ideas?

Sephiroth
03-11-2009, 12:49
Which computer is attached to the router by what means?

Has it ever worked properly?

Please explain what a "dropout" means? Does it work and then stop working? How does it come back? Can you take router stats as to wirele3ss status from a wired PC when it's not dropped out and when it is dropped out?

Are all (how many) laptops are "dopped" at the same time?

We need a lot more information please.

wordsmith
03-11-2009, 15:52
Thanks for responding.

The desktop pc is connected directly via ethernet. Up to five laptops may also connect wirelessly, though rarely all at once. By 'dropping out' I mean they lose internet connection and have difficulty reconnecting as soon as the desktop pc is connected. If a laptop does get on it is often also unable to open certain websites. They work perfectly normally when the desktop is off.

If you can tell me how to take router stats as to wireless status I will do so. I'm at work and away from my own machines at the moment though and will not be able to reply until tonight.

Sephiroth
03-11-2009, 17:18
If you can either attach the router manual (PDF < 1.5MB) to your next post, I can guide you. I can't find a copy on the web. What is the exact router model please?

I'm thinking IP address or DHCP conflicts. It could be anything, of course.

Also what is "difficulty reconnecting"? We're at a distance from you and don't see what you see and can only rely on your words.

"Certain web sites"?

wordsmith
03-11-2009, 17:49
Ok. Will do. The laptops simply lose their connection and take ages to reconnect. If they succeed, it is often not long before they drop out again. I cannot be specific over the failing websites - my family's expletives are not that specific!
I will be back home around 11.30pm tonight. I am not sure how to attach on this forum but no doubt I can find out..

Thanks again

Sephiroth
03-11-2009, 19:20
Also can you post the results of IPCONFIG /ALL from the working PC, the working Wifi laptop (when working), the non-working laptop when dropped out.

wordsmith
04-11-2009, 12:25
Right. Here is the info you requested. Firstly, there is no manual as such. As I remember now, it used a setup wizard which wasn't particularly user friendly. The modem is Chinese and the website is also v flaky. However, I see that they have now established an English offshoot and it offers very useful setup info which I include. Also attached is the ipconfig info for the desktop and two laptops, one of which could not connect to the internet at the time, although it was receiving the router signal. I have subsequently discovered that that laptop was looking at the wrong channel, however.
As you will note, some of my settings are non-standard, but I doubt whether that is relevant to the problems.
Best of luck and thanks again.

Sephiroth
04-11-2009, 12:36
Right. Here is the info you requested. Firstly, there is no manual as such. As I remember now, it used a setup wizard which wasn't particularly user friendly. The modem is Chinese and the website is also v flaky. However, I see that they have now established an English offshoot and it offers very useful setup info which I include. Also attached is the ipconfig info for the desktop and two laptops, one of which could not connect to the internet at the time, although it was receiving the router signal. I have subsequently discovered that that laptop was looking at the wrong channel, however.
As you will note, some of my settings are non-standard, but I doubt whether that is relevant to the problems.
Best of luck and thanks again.

Before I look at the attachments, can you please state whether changing the incorrect wireless channel has solved the overall problem?

wordsmith
04-11-2009, 15:31
No, not as far as I know. I would not have bothered you further if that was the case.
All the laptops in the house are showing the same symtoms. Only one laptop was pointing at an incorrect channel. That one has not dropped out since then but even that is difficult to trust as the fault is intermittent.

Sephiroth
04-11-2009, 15:46
Right. I'll be back in greater detail a little later but your router should, according to the manual you attached have an IP address of 192.168.1.1. It shows up as 192.168.58.1.

What IP address do you use to log onto the router?

wordsmith
04-11-2009, 15:51
That one - 192.168.58.1 - but as I said, my settings are not standard. That surely has no relevance to the problem? 192.168.1.1 is just the default.

Sephiroth
04-11-2009, 17:35
That one - 192.168.58.1 - but as I said, my settings are not standard. That surely has no relevance to the problem? 192.168.1.1 is just the default.

The non-standard settings are potentially relevant if you've done something to make them non-standard. Is there anything you've done?

Your wireless network cards - they are configured to obtain the IP Address and DNS Server automatically? Yes?

I've attached an XLS that sets out the IPCONFIG information side by side.

There is a surprise that I don't understand. The wireless laptops have been served with the DNS servers that should be served only to the router. The router would be served 192.168.4.100 & 192.168.8.100. Then using NAT, each PC (192.168.58.2 through 4) would be connected by the router to the internet using the 192.168.4.100 & 192.168.8.100 DNS address of the modem.

So I would expect the DNS Server address in the wireless laptop to be 192.168.58.1 as per the desktop.

So, no guarantees, I suggest you set into the router the static IP address for the Primary DNS server as 192.168.58.1. Leave the alternate blank. Reboot everything (sorry about that) including the modem.

I'm trying to force the DNS server for the wireless side to be the same as the wired side.

Cheers

wordsmith
04-11-2009, 17:42
Excellent. That looks to be very right on the button. I'd missed that. I will give it a go as soon as I get back tonight and let you know.

Thanks again for all your trouble. It's much appreciated.