PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Managed and Not Over Limits

bywater
02-11-2009, 14:56
Please help am tearing my hair out. Have been having really slow download speeds over last month. Called technical support and they said there was no issues and there was a high utilization in my area. So I phoned up to disconect my service and leave as I am fed up with my speeds of between half a meg and 1.5 meg. I have found out that my low speeds where due to traffic managment after a conversation with customer support. I don't use my connection excessively and am always well within the traffic managment limits. The figures customer support where quoting where just wayout and crazy. He said one day I had downloaded 8Gig and I know for a fact that is just crazy. Well after my conversation and complaining my speed is now mysteriously gone back up to 10 Meg. I am really worried someone may have hacked my wireless connection. I do have strong encyption. Or maybe someone as cloned my modem. I could not understand why connection only runs at full speed at 2am in the morning. I am concerned that Virgins records of my usesage are nothing near my actual use. What can I do ? Spent a hour on the phone today and don't apreciate been called a excessive user and practically a liar when I said I am not anyhwere near a excessive user. I only use my connection for the odd stream. Most of the time I am just doing general web non intense browsing. Have no spyware or viruses or programs runing in the background.:mad::confused:

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

PS. Haven;t even used my connection today and was traffic managed down to 512 to 2Meg

broadbandking
02-11-2009, 15:15
When you are getting slow speeds what is your upload speed?

bywater
02-11-2009, 15:19
upload speeds are fine are constantly what I should be getting. Its just the download speeds that are a problem and all over the place.

Kymmy
02-11-2009, 16:02
Then it's not traffic management as your upload speed will drop from 500Kb to 128Kb..

You'll find it's either a fault on the line or you're in an area of over subscription, next time it happens do a speedtest (showing up and down) and post it on here

broadbandking
02-11-2009, 17:36
upload speeds are fine are constantly what I should be getting. Its just the download speeds that are a problem and all over the place.

Sounds like overload UBR to me what are your speeds like in off peak times?

bywater
02-11-2009, 21:08
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/11/67.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Here's my speed it will hover around and below this now till 2am in the morning. It is not good enough. Customer services and techs very unhelpful from saying I'm being capped to having software causing it. It all seems to point to the fact Virgin can't deliver anywhere near the max speed during peak times. I'd be happy with half but they can't even manage that. I can only use my broadband connection at its advertised speed for only a couple of hours a day. Its not good enough. All I keep getting quoted is well we do only say up to. Seems like a very dogdegy get out clause. They won't let me leave as I am in contract. What is the minmal standard of service to get out of a contract. Fed UP !

Sephiroth
02-11-2009, 21:12
If you think you're being hacked (freeloader on your router), you can always log into the router and list the DHCP clients and their MAC addresses and account for any difference between actual and expected.

bywater
02-11-2009, 21:26
Sounds like overload UBR to me what are your speeds like in off peak times?

Speeds are ok as I say mid afternoon and after 2am in the morning but thats no good to me. I'd except a certain slower speed at peak times but not a 90 to 95% reduction. I'd rather go elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

If you think you're being hacked (freeloader on your router), you can always log into the router and list the DHCP clients and their MAC addresses and account for any difference between actual and expected.

I don't think I am. I think it was just someone in customer services ********ting me as I haven't been traffic shaped from all the other conversations. I am a bit annoyed they would do this and cause unecessary worry as I have looked in my router and the only machine connected is my own. So where the rententions bloke got his useage figures from is a mystery.

Kymmy
02-11-2009, 21:58
Lesson #1 Customer services (especially those in foriegn lands) generally are reading from a script and don;t know what they're talking about.

Lesson #2 Ringing just after 8am can get you through to a closer CS agent but even they might not be able to tell or know the full truth..

Lesson #3 Posting in the newsgroups can and will get directly to tech support 2nd line and can confirm if someone is suffering from over subscription and confirm if there's anything that can be done.

webcrawler2050
02-11-2009, 21:59
http://192.168.100.1 root / root - post up & downstream power levels.

bywater
02-11-2009, 22:11
Cable Modem DownstreamDownstream Lock : LockedDownstream Channel Id : 4Downstream Frequency : 402750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM256Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/secDownstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4Downstream Receive Power Level : 12.0 dBmVDownstream SNR : 42.4 dB

Failswitch
03-11-2009, 00:43
Cable Modem DownstreamDownstream Lock : LockedDownstream Channel Id : 4Downstream Frequency : 402750000 HzDownstream Modulation : QAM256Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/secDownstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4Downstream Receive Power Level : 12.0 dBmVDownstream SNR : 42.4 dB

Your downstream power level is above the operating threshold which usually means a tech visit is required.

AbyssUnderground
03-11-2009, 09:39
As above, the downstream receive is too high. This will cause slow speeds and instability. You need a tech visit to adjust the levels.