PDA

View Full Version : Internet speed not acceptable.

smallclone
02-11-2009, 09:58
I moved house 2 weeks ago, and have had nothing but trouble with my VM services. I'll only go into the broadband here.

I upgraded from XL to V.I.P.

I was previously 3 streets away and had a great 10Meg connection. always around 9500kbps at least.Since moving I am supposed to be on 20MEG with VIP. But it rarely gets above 9MB. Thats slower than before!!

I called Cust Serv last week, and had an engineer come round on saturday. He said there was absolutely nothing he could do as the Broadband in my postcode (CF24) was being shared! As the 50MB service had just kicked in and it will be like this for a while.

Last night, it was running at a standstill at 560kbps. Thats not acceptable, seeing as I am paying for 20,000! But what can I do?

Any advice will help as I can't access newsgroups.

Thanks

xocemp
02-11-2009, 10:00
10Mbit or 20Mbit, it would seem your on the same CMTS, downgrade, kick up a fuss with customer care 150. Oh and twenty thousand is a hell of a lot to be paying, is that per month? ;)

smallclone
02-11-2009, 10:07
10Mbit or 20Mbit, it would seem your on the same CMTS, downgrade, kick up a fuss with customer care 150.

Did a search for that and looks extremely technical.

Any way you could describe what it means in a nutshell? And what the implications are for me?

Thanks.

Stuart
02-11-2009, 10:13
smallclone, if you send me your name, postal address, account number and a daytime contact phone number, I will refer this to our contacts within VM.

AbyssUnderground
02-11-2009, 10:21
Did a search for that and looks extremely technical.

Any way you could describe what it means in a nutshell? And what the implications are for me?

Thanks.

Basically you are on the same shared area connection as around 250-500 other connections. If the areas connection is saturated, then you will not get your full speed. The only way to overcome this is pray that VM upgrade your area (unlikely), move to 50Mbps (pricey) or downgrade to 10Mbps and make do with whatever you get there. If all you get is 9Mbps on 20Mbps service then you might as well drop to 10Mbps and save a few quid.

smallclone
02-11-2009, 10:28
smallclone, if you send me your name, postal address, account number and a daytime contact phone number, I will refer this to our contacts within VM.

Thanks.

I'll do this later.

If I am on VIP, isn't the set broadband speed 20Meg? Can I ask to have 10Meg and pay less?

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 ----------

Basically you are on the same shared area connection as around 250-500 other connections. If the areas connection is saturated, then you will not get your full speed. The only way to overcome this is pray that VM upgrade your area (unlikely), move to 50Mbps (pricey) or downgrade to 10Mbps and make do with whatever you get there. If all you get is 9Mbps on 20Mbps service then you might as well drop to 10Mbps and save a few quid.

That sounds horrific.

Nice of them to let me know of the situation.

smallclone
04-11-2009, 11:32
So I phoned Cserv. They said there was an upgrade planned but no time or date has been set. He estimated that it might be better in 7-10 days time.

I said I was not happy, and he offered a deal where I pay £15 a month for this "broadband conenction" that ranged from 1Meg to 12Meg

is that good enough?

zing_deleted
10-11-2009, 08:53
what does that do to your VIP package?

smallclone
10-11-2009, 11:28
what does that do to your VIP package?

It goes down from £81 (get a £7 monthly discount already) to £66.

I got a further call from Mark in the "CEO's office", explaining the technicalities of this. He offerred to cut my bill further, but I'm not sure by what amount. He was pretty good though, and explained that the internet speed should be up to what I pay for on 10th November.

That is today.

So I will check in next 24 hours what the speeds are like, and give them a further call if not happy.

Cheers all.

zing_deleted
10-11-2009, 11:30
good luck :tu:

Xteria
10-11-2009, 22:02
Last night, it was running at a standstill at 560kbps. Thats not acceptable, seeing as I am paying for 20,000! But what can I do?

Thanks

That's 2,000kbps btw not 20,000 :p