PDA

View Full Version : People affected by modem ready light going off, post here!

Hazanko
01-11-2009, 16:57
To all those that have a problem with the ready light going off, we should keep it in this thread and try and find out what is causing it. I've noticed many posts (including my own) that seems to have this same problem.

If your modem is getting effected you could post here and say which region you live in.

Matt-08
01-11-2009, 17:14
Power levels out of parameters usually cause this.

Hazanko
01-11-2009, 17:21
Power levels out of parameters usually cause this.

Power levels are fine. Had it checked in other thread.

Welshchris
01-11-2009, 17:36
Hazanko ive been trying to find the cause of this since August, so has a Network engineer on here in Swansea. Im in contact with a few others on here who are having identical issues to what i am.

Its NOTHING AT ALL! to do with Power Levels, ive been told they think its something to do with the BSR issuing IP addresses to modems for some reason instead of renewing or carrying on leases they just drop for no reason and causes the connection to die.

Peter_
01-11-2009, 18:36
The can be many reasons as to why your ready light/cable light/receive light flashes from account issues to major area faults so as to make this thread rather pointless.

Also remember that we have the Knowsley network and the Langley/Bromley network that use different kit, power levels and frequencies, so again making this thread meaningless.

For example one NTL customer in Glasgow posts about his ready light being off and then a Telewest person in London posts that his ready light is flashing, neither fault is related due to them being on completely different networks.

Welshchris
01-11-2009, 20:11
Moldova, its more down to configuration error of the BSR.

Kymmy
01-11-2009, 20:16

So because your fault is possibly down to a fault on the BSR that means that everyone with this symptom also has the same BSR fault.. If only things were that simple

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Peter_
01-11-2009, 20:46
If you are on a BSR then you are on Motorola kit, but the vast majority of people are on Cisco uBR's and the are now 3 different types in use so not really comparable.

adzii_nufc
01-11-2009, 21:00
Like Moldova said, It could be anything from a loose cable to what you have said.

Welshchris
01-11-2009, 21:17
If you are on a BSR then you are on Motorola kit, but the vast majority of people are on Cisco uBR's and the are now 3 different types in use so not really comparable.

The people in Swansea that are having this issue are ALL on the BSR, and even ALL on the same CARD on the BSR and Still Virgin claim they cant see any problems or anything that we have in common or what can cause it and it must be our computer etc etc. We even have disconnections at the same time!.

Peter_
01-11-2009, 22:10
The people in Swansea that are having this issue are ALL on the BSR, and even ALL on the same CARD on the BSR and Still Virgin claim they cant see any problems or anything that we have in common or what can cause it and it must be our computer etc etc. We even have disconnections at the same time!.
This thread is not about your issue but Hazanko presuming in some way that all ready light issues are related in some way Chris.

The is no way any such fault on different networks in different parts of the country can be related apart from the light flashing after that the similarity ends.

Welshchris
02-11-2009, 00:26
This thread is not about your issue but Hazanko presuming in some way that all ready light issues are related in some way Chris.

The is no way any such fault on different networks in different parts of the country can be related apart from the light flashing after that the similarity ends.

There is if theres a config issue on the BSRs themselves and he is connected to a BSR and all the BSRs are configured the same way!

darren.b
02-11-2009, 00:39
I was having this problem. Went off 3 times tonight but on the third drop, the logs report a software update.

Fingers crossed this fixes it :)

Peter_
02-11-2009, 06:25
There is if theres a config issue on the BSRs themselves and he is connected to a BSR and all the BSRs are configured the same way!

This thread has been set out as a general thread not a thread specific to the kit being used as most people will be totally unaware of which kit they are connected to.

The are many more BSR's in use and I am not aware of any national issue with them and you state that the is a small group in your area affected by this issue you have.

Once again as above your issue is not the one Hazanko is talking about, he is posting a cover all thread for all flashing light faults which is an unreal and totally unworkable idea, because if all these faults were one and the same we would have an instant fix, but in the real world we would find the majority of these faults are not the same.

Stuart
02-11-2009, 09:35

A lot of ifs there.

The problem is that the Ready light going off is a symptom that can be caused by many things, Saying they are all caused by the same thing is like saying that two people who have both been sick have a virus. One could have the virus, the other could have an entirely different virus, or just eaten something that disagrees with them.

Similarly, the Ready Light going off can be caused by incorrect power settings or any one of a number of misconfigurations or faults in the network. This is compounded by the fact that. while they are gradually merging them, Virgin still have three distinct network configurations and a lot of hardware that can be malfunctioning, so the cause for one person (or even a whole area) may not be the same as the cause for another.

xocemp
02-11-2009, 09:37
/Pointless thread

Chris
02-11-2009, 09:38
/Pointless thread

/wishful thinking ;)

Welshchris
02-11-2009, 12:54
This thread has been set out as a general thread not a thread specific to the kit being used as most people will be totally unaware of which kit they are connected to.

The are many more BSR's in use and I am not aware of any national issue with them and you state that the is a small group in your area affected by this issue you have.

Once again as above your issue is not the one Hazanko is talking about, he is posting a cover all thread for all flashing light faults which is an unreal and totally unworkable idea, because if all these faults were one and the same we would have an instant fix, but in the real world we would find the majority of these faults are not the same.

Phaps u should try telling that to ur network team. Your network team has stated that the problem isnt only affecting that in Swansea and due to the fact they are unaware of what the problem is or where it is on the BSR there is no fix. Software updates to the BSRs are due to be done in December in a hope to fix it but they dont know if it will.

chris26engwales
02-11-2009, 21:55
Chris, dad was told today that it may help if they took him off the BSR and put him onto the UBR instead lol. I told him well if they did that and if he ever decided to upgrade to 50mb then he is going to be in the same position all over again.

Welshchris
02-11-2009, 22:00
Sounds like Virgin, instead of getting to the heart of the problem they will avoid it and blame other things until things really start to go wrong.

Retrovertigo
03-11-2009, 10:08
Well, not sure if it helps or not - but Manchester here and been affected the last 4 days running now. It has happened around midnight each time, apart from last night when it happened around 7:30pm.

I posted on the newsgroups and they said they saw problems on the network at the times I specified, but just told me to phone tech support next time it happens.

Thing is it corrects itself (of its own accord - resetting the modem doesn't help) after around 10 minutes - by which time no doubt I'd still be on hold, so not much use calling them about it at the moment.

Welshchris
03-11-2009, 12:12
Retrovertigo i know what u mean about resetting the modem not helping. As ive stated before on here its been happening to me since August and i was told basically by 2 senior network engineers that i couldnt prove it was happening and i was a liar.

A Few days later one of their collegues was on a call out and witnessed the same thing where a modem wouldnt lockon for over 2hrs. Since then more and more people in Swansea have come forward with the same issue yet Virgin are dragging their feet saying its our computer thats the problem and nothing to do with the network and when they did admit it was a BSR issue they didnt know where the fault was and still dont know how to fix it.

joglynne
03-11-2009, 12:26
Retrovertigo i know what u mean about resetting the modem not helping. As ive stated before on here its been happening to me since August and i was told basically by 2 senior network engineers that i couldnt prove it was happening and i was a liar.

A Few days later one of their collegues was on a call out and witnessed the same thing where a modem wouldnt lockon for over 2hrs. Since then more and more people in Swansea have come forward with the same issue yet Virgin are dragging their feet saying its our computer thats the problem and nothing to do with the network and when they did admit it was a BSR issue they didnt know where the fault was and still dont know how to fix it.

Not wanting to cause any offense but wouldn't it be more productive to open a thread that will deal with your specific issues rather than have your problem diluted by other flashing light/modem issues that this thread will attract due to it's title?

DDD
03-11-2009, 16:49
Just adding that I'm also getting this problem, and have been discussing it with WelshChris as we both are in the same area.

Toto
03-11-2009, 17:58
What's a BSR?

pointy shadow
03-11-2009, 17:58
Just joined the forum as I am having the exact same problem in Renfrewshire.

I must have rebooted my modem about a dozen times last night due to this.

One thing that I have noticed when I cant connect to the internet is that the modem shows on my router with a 192.168.1.10 address instead of showing my actual external IP address.

Currently on hold to tech support just now.

Peter_
03-11-2009, 18:23
What's a BSR?
A Broadband Services Router (http://mediacenter.motorola.com/imagelibrary/detail.aspx?MediaDetailsID=216)

Toto
03-11-2009, 18:27
A Broadband Services Router (http://mediacenter.motorola.com/imagelibrary/detail.aspx?MediaDetailsID=216)

OK, thanks

Welshchris
03-11-2009, 18:53
Just joined the forum as I am having the exact same problem in Renfrewshire.

I must have rebooted my modem about a dozen times last night due to this.

One thing that I have noticed when I cant connect to the internet is that the modem shows on my router with a 192.168.1.10 address instead of showing my actual external IP address.

Currently on hold to tech support just now.

Good luck talking to tech support on the issue lol

---------- Post added at 18:53 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Just adding that I'm also getting this problem, and have been discussing it with WelshChris as we both are in the same area.

STILL no news from Virgin Suprise Suprise!

Ignitionnet
03-11-2009, 20:46
/Pointless thread

pointy shadow
03-11-2009, 23:52
Well, I am currently posting this using my phone as a modem since the kind chap at the helpdesk sent a command to stop my internet. There was a command in the log about data being disabled by the provider and since then the light on the modem is off.

Engineer booked for Saturday but I know that its a network problem as my modem was getting the IP of 192.168.1.10 and it took a reboot to sort it out (well a dozen reboots last night) but since calling the helpdesk I have 0 chance of getting the internet working till the engineer calls.

I called back again and the result was basically "your modem is disabled and I cant turn it on. You have an engineer visit on Saturday."

Does Virgin monitor these forums at all? Never really had a prob with my internet from them but this has ****ed me off big time. Why didnt he just leave my connection alone rather than disable it? :mad:

I dont suppose there is a number that I can call to get a UK call centre?

applepie2100
04-11-2009, 00:10
I've been having the exact same issue tonight, helpdesk guys couldn't be less helpful and offered a technician booking for next Monday!

50meg connection in the Dumbarton area.

Shower of complete idiots.

Welshchris
04-11-2009, 01:39
Virgin tech support do browse these forums yes but from experience they dont tend to take in whats actually happening. They just try and find excuses saying that its not connected or its a problem with your pc and not them and its like pulling teeth to get a confession its with them. It took over 3 months for them to confess the problem causing this problem with a lot of users here in Swansea is with their BSR and not peoples computer systems.

Feenix
04-11-2009, 02:24
Hi. My Panasonic cordless phone has a flashing light on it, does this count? Also my microwave was flashing and beeping earlier. I think my beans were done, but I'm not sure.

chris26engwales
04-11-2009, 02:57
theres always one isnt there

Feenix
04-11-2009, 03:06
lol soz m8 :F

Welshchris
04-11-2009, 04:33
until a few mins ago i hadnt had a disconnection for over 2 days, since Nov 2nd at 12:18am.

Now since 4:26 ive had two disconnections with this problem.

theoldbill
04-11-2009, 06:23
I had this at the weekend (flashing ready but internet access was fine) but I've just been moved onto a new ubr (1.1 config file now) so figured it was teething troubles.

Midlands - 20meg.

Sephiroth
04-11-2009, 08:18
theres always one isnt there

Feenix is spot on. This thread, though aspparently popular, is meaningless.

Raistlin
04-11-2009, 08:29
Virgin tech support do browse these forums yes but from experience they dont tend to take in whats actually happening. They just try and find excuses saying that its not connected or its a problem with your pc and not them and its like pulling teeth to get a confession its with them.

Actually, from my experience (and from the experience of many others here), the VM support staff that do frequent the forum (of their own free will, and in their own free time), have helped a great many people with their issues. They're not obliged to help you, or anybody else, and I doubt that with an attitude like that you'll be getting much help from them here in the future.

This thread though is useless. The symptoms described by the OP could be caused by just about anything.

(Oh....and 'no', I don't work for Virgin Media.....)

Chris
04-11-2009, 09:40
Virgin tech support do browse these forums yes but from experience they dont tend to take in whats actually happening. They just try and find excuses saying that its not connected or its a problem with your pc and not them and its like pulling teeth to get a confession its with them.

You're talking out of your bottom.

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 10:07
Well, the plot thickens.

5 other people in that I work with who stay in the same town as me are having the exact same problem. Two of those is on the 50 meg service and another 2 is on the 20 meg the same as me.

This is most certainly a network problem and not a modem problem.

Is there an 0845 number or any other number that will put me through to a UK call centre?

Thanks for your help.

markovts
04-11-2009, 10:40
pointy - the only guy in the UK who apparently deals with technical issue's is a guy called [Mod Edit (Rob M): Removed], but you have to pre-book your time with him. he's only available if you phone to cancel because of the amazing technical support you get from the department who read from a script and have no technical knowledge whatsover.

you can however call 08454541111 and press option 2, and it'll take you DIRECTLY to a guy called [Mod Edit (Rob M): Removed] - aye i know, i laughed when he told me this was his direct number last night too.

it's pointless calling technical support, you never ever get the same reason twice, if your problems not on their script they don't know how to help you, and to get you off the phone they tell you to keep trying for 15 minutes and call back if it's still a problem.

i've had this problem for the past 2 days, and to be honest i've given up any hope of getting any help on it, even though sense dictates it's a area issue - but technical script.....sorry support, can't seem to grasp this.

Ignitionnet
04-11-2009, 10:40
Pointy - engineer visit is the fastest way to resolve this in most cases, your modem is trapped in broken walled garden.

When this is fixed you may see an improvement - try a post to the newsgroups see if reprovisioning your existing modem would help.

In other news this thread is a mess, there's at least 3 distinct issues here none of which are related. Signal issues, walled garden / provisioning issues, modem problems, bleh.

Ian-Highlander
04-11-2009, 10:46
Whilst I happily accept that the OP "could" be taken in many ways and attract a lot of false reports, I'm afraid I also have started experiencing the same issues in EXACTLY the same circumstances as described.

My connections (two at two different locations) have both been absolutely rock solid since installation and in the last few weeks I am seeing regular drops where the ready light starts flashing, a reboot of the modem usually resolves it (by the time I notice it), however the modem doesn't appear to keep trying to connect like they used to and only powering it off and on again resolves. Happened twice last night and again this morning.

Modem power levels are spot on, all connections are rock solid both in the box outside and internally but it still drops out every few hours and has only done this for the last few weeks.

I was about to phone Virgin and see if there was anything they could do, but thought I'd come here and have a read first to see if anyone else was being affected or if there was a wider issue (I don't come to this forum that often anymore). This is frustrating as usually, Virgin's service is absolutely rock solid where I am.

Raistlin
04-11-2009, 10:54
I've removed individuals' names and direct dial numbers from a post further up this thread as I doubt they gave permission for them to be made publicly available.

If everybody 'phones through to an individual then all that will happen is that they will be swamped and not in a position to help anybody at all.

There are official support channels, best bet is to use them. If you get no joy there then you need to complain, and continue to escalate that complaint until things get fixed.

Circumventing the correct channels causes more problems than it solves.

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 11:00
Pointy - engineer visit is the fastest way to resolve this in most cases, your modem is trapped in broken walled garden.

When this is fixed you may see an improvement - try a post to the newsgroups see if reprovisioning your existing modem would help.

In other news this thread is a mess, there's at least 3 distinct issues here none of which are related. Signal issues, walled garden / provisioning issues, modem problems, bleh.

Cheers. However my modem wasnt put into the "walled garden" before the guy from the helpdesk messed about with it. :mad:

Mark - will get that number from you later on since it has been removed.

Not that I would do such a thing but I wonder if the cloned modems are also having the same issues. :confused:

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

I've removed individuals' names and direct dial numbers from a post further up this thread as I doubt they gave permission for them to be made publicly available.

If everybody 'phones through to an individual then all that will happen is that they will be swamped and not in a position to help anybody at all.

There are official support channels, best bet is to use them. If you get no joy there then you need to complain, and continue to escalate that complaint until things get fixed.

Circumventing the correct channels causes more problems than it solves.

Hi Rob,

It is highly unlikely that the 0845 number Mark posted will get you through to an individual as it just goes into the call centre queue.

The official support channels are a joke - they guys couldnt understand me and were absolutely no help at all. I would go as far as saying that I have forgot more about networks than what they know about them. Fair play they have a script that they have to work to but I have been working with networks for over 10 years now and despite repeatedly asking them if they can transfer me to the escelated technical department they said that it would not be possible to transfer me. Complaining is all fair and well but not when you need to stay on hold for 45 minutes to do so.

Going throught the correct channels causes more problems than it solves IMO.

markovts
04-11-2009, 11:06
rob - the 0845 number i posted was the general landline number to contact virgin media, and option 2 is for technical support. I was posting this with a hint of sarcasm as the "technical support" agent i spoke to told me this was his direct number, when quite obviously it wasn't.

pointy - i'll email you it now.

I can appreciate they work to a script, but when thats all they can rely on and have no other technical knowledge/know how/experience on actually using the service, it's pointless asking them to help because you end up being the one explaining to them how the service works. I actually had one guy telling me i wouldn't be able to connect to my wireless router if my modem wasn't plugged in.....show you what we're up against.

Raistlin
04-11-2009, 11:11
Fair enough, I'v reinstated the number - thanks for the clarification :tu:

moaningmags
04-11-2009, 11:35
I can appreciate they work to a script, but when thats all they can rely on and have no other technical knowledge/know how/experience on actually using the service, it's pointless asking them to help because you end up being the one explaining to them how the service works.

In my 4 years working as technical support for Telewest then Virgin Media, I have NEVER worked to a script, nor have I ever seen a script and to be perfectly honest I resent the assumption stated as fact that we all use a script.
A lot of us actually listen to what a customer is telling us and do our troubleshooting based on what they say.

Chris
04-11-2009, 11:39
Mags, I think the assumption is based on customers whose only experience of VM CS is speaking to India. I've had conversations by voice and by email with them that are very obviously scripted. It is extremely frustrating. But the upside of it is, many more of the people that come through to your extension are going to be almost pitifully thankful just to be speaking to someone who is empowered to deal with the issue rather than merely categorise and close it down. Hopefully that makes things just a little easier for you. :)

moaningmags
04-11-2009, 11:44
I've had those conversations myself and the last time the agent told me I was the customer as I was at home and he was the technical support agent so therefore he knew better than me :shocked:

I just get annoyed, frustrated and embarassed when we're all labelled the same and occassionally feel the need to point out we're not :(

markovts
04-11-2009, 11:46
In my 4 years working as technical support for Telewest then Virgin Media, I have NEVER worked to a script, nor have I ever seen a script and to be perfectly honest I resent the assumption stated as fact that we all use a script.
A lot of us actually listen to what a customer is telling us and do our troubleshooting based on what they say.

Mags, i'm not referring to UK based call centre's. but my problem is how do we get to speak to a uk based call centre to explain our problems and get proper technical support? any time i always ask to speak to someone in the UK for technical support (simply because i know you guys use the service, don't read from a script because you actually do have genuine technical knowledge) but i'm always told there's no specific number for you guys and i can't be put through - which is frustrating.

one of the guys in my work has 50 mb bb, and has just been put through to a team in liverpool to help him, only because he's on 50mb. This guy then told him he'd help him log onto the modem, pull some logs from it etc and try to pinpoint the problem. However us 20mb and lower punters get dumped in the scrap heap and get told to "reboot our modem for 1 minute", "try it without a wireless router", "lick your ear and hold your thumb in the air for 37.7 seconds exactly while hopping on your nose".......

Retrovertigo
04-11-2009, 11:56
Moaningmags highlights the worst problem of all to be fair. Knowing there are skilled, knowledgeable people working at VM, but it isn't even a lottery getting to speak to them, it is more of a miracle.

I highlighted my problem of my ready light going out around midnight each evening, and tech support via the newgroups told me I should call in the problem. But at midnight I know my only choice is India, and to go through the stress of a call like that at midnight? No thanks

pabscars
04-11-2009, 12:32
Mags, i'm not referring to UK based call centre's. but my problem is how do we get to speak to a uk based call centre to explain our problems and get proper technical support? any time i always ask to speak to someone in the UK for technical support (simply because i know you guys use the service, don't read from a script because you actually do have genuine technical knowledge) but i'm always told there's no specific number for you guys and i can't be put through - which is frustrating.

one of the guys in my work has 50 mb bb, and has just been put through to a team in liverpool to help him, only because he's on 50mb. This guy then told him he'd help him log onto the modem, pull some logs from it etc and try to pinpoint the problem. However us 20mb and lower punters get dumped in the scrap heap and get told to "reboot our modem for 1 minute", "try it without a wireless router", "lick your ear and hold your thumb in the air for 37.7 seconds exactly while hopping on your nose".......

If you are unhappy I would recommend making a formal complaint to customer services.

I did (via email) this when I was on 20Mb, and had a response quickly and had my issues dealt with by UK support, the guys over here are extremely helpful and will go above and beyond to help get your issues sorted.

I would also recommend upgrading to 50Mb, I know it might be a few extra quid a month but the support staff really are bees wotsits.

I appreciate what your saying as I know just how frustrating it can be when dealing with India.

For me upgrading to 50Mb was money well spent, and although Ive had issues with it at times, getting through to UK staff every time saves the already on set of grey hairs from advancing all the sooner.

markovts
04-11-2009, 12:54
pabscars -

i will phone up later and make a formal complaint - might help.

I don't see why i should have to go to these lengths to complain though - surely someone must monitor these calls and see how shocking the experience is.

i've also phoned enquiring about the 50mb but they want a £50 install fee, and another £20 activation fee - even thuogh i'm an existing customer with them, so i scrapped that idea.

Welshchris
04-11-2009, 13:00
You're talking out of your bottom.

im entitled to an opinion and that is mine

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Also this morning AGAIN! i cannot get an IP address with the 20mb modem.

tried from 12:48 - 12:57 to get an IP address and tried 4 times and didnt wanna know.

Im now having to use the 50mb testbed modem again.

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 13:05

---------- Post added at 13:00 ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 ----------

Also this morning AGAIN! i cannot get an IP address with the 20mb modem.

tried from 12:48 - 12:57 to get an IP address and tried 4 times and didnt wanna know.

Im now having to use the 50mb testbed modem again.

Chris - are you a Virgin employee?

pabscars
04-11-2009, 13:11
pabscars -

i will phone up later and make a formal complaint - might help.

I don't see why i should have to go to these lengths to complain though - surely someone must monitor these calls and see how shocking the experience is.

i've also phoned enquiring about the 50mb but they want a £50 install fee, and another £20 activation fee - even thuogh i'm an existing customer with them, so i scrapped that idea.

Like I said for me it was money well spent.

If you get nowhere via the phone try emailing it via the VM website.

sometimes through life we don't get the response we expect, it's up to you to pursue a resolution or let it go.

For me I,m like a dog with a bone.

good luck

Welshchris
04-11-2009, 13:14
Chris - are you a Virgin employee?

ur joking right?

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 13:33
ur joking right?

No. Was asking in the faint hope that you would be able to get my services provisioned at the head end.

Welshchris
04-11-2009, 13:43
No. Was asking in the faint hope that you would be able to get my services provisioned at the head end.

i cant even get them to sort out my problems at the head end even though they know thats where they are lol.

Chris
04-11-2009, 13:44

I gathered. And I am entitled to the opinion that your opinion is a billowing cloud of bottom breath, steeped in odious generalisations and a refusal to accept the facts that are laid before you, time and time again, in multiple threads all over this forum.

If you want to believe that VM are staffed entirely by hopeless incompetents whose mission in life is to take your cash and then shaft you with a poor excuse of a service, what does it say about you that you sit there and let them? Why haven't you migrated your service to someone else?

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 14:01
i cant even get them to sort out my problems at the head end even though they know thats where they are lol.

Looks like its another hour of waiting on the phone tonight :(

Sephiroth
04-11-2009, 14:03
I gathered. And I am entitled to the opinion that your opinion is a billowing cloud of bottom breath, steeped in odious generalisations and a refusal to accept the facts that are laid before you, time and time again, in multiple threads all over this forum.

If you want to believe that VM are staffed entirely by hopeless incompetents whose mission in life is to take your cash and then shaft you with a poor excuse of a service, what does it say about you that you sit there and let them? Why haven't you migrated your service to someone else?

I think that rant's OTT - especially when handed down by a Team Member who enjoys unique privileges on this forum.

The rest of us are never shy of telling someone they're talking crap and WelshChris isn't seriously on the receiving end of such.

He is exasperated at his problems and a lot of people, I'm sure' have considerable sympathy for him and feel lucky not to be languishing in Swansea (perhaps for more than one reason!).

That's my opinon to which I'm also entitled.

Chris
04-11-2009, 14:20
Yes, it is your opinion, and you're entitled to it, and I am entitled to mine. It is well-known that individual team members at Cable Forum all started their time here as regular members and continue to post as regular members whenever they have an opinion to share. There's nothing remotely privileged about it and we do not 'hand down' our opinions like judgements from on high.

Chris has chosen to make some unpleasant generalisations about the standard of VM's Customer Service reps based on his own personal experience of dealing with his modem ready light issue. He may be frustrated and he may wish to express that frustration in such a way, but nobody's opinion is sacrosanct. If they post it up here, they are inviting comment on it.

theoldbill
04-11-2009, 14:24
A lot of handbags get swung around these parts lately, one is afraid to comment :(

Sephiroth
04-11-2009, 14:37
A lot of handbags get swung around these parts lately, one is afraid to comment :(

I'm not and please don't you be.

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 14:41
Is Chris a Virgin employee then?

I really need to speak to someone that understands my issue as opposed to someone that struggles with English never mind the issue.

I think that WelshChris', my friends and my problem relates to the Indian call centres and not the UK call centres. I am pretty sure that if my call was routed to the UK then they would have resolved it or at the very least made sure that my services were not disconnected till the engineer comes on Saturday.

Chris
04-11-2009, 14:44
No, I'm not. :)

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 15:06
Damn, Thanks anyway :)

Mr.A.2009
04-11-2009, 16:27
Typical.

An engineer was supposed to come out today but VM rescheduled.

This has been the longest I've stayed online for the passed 2 days ( A whooping 10 minutes ) CS have been no help at all.

On top of that, if had my phone line installed on said date, i would maybe have spoken to someone helpful. But since i have to pay to phone CS, I'll have to wait for an emailed response.

bomber_g
04-11-2009, 16:59
I think this thread should be moved to the general ranting about VM section...

do we have one? how about we just delete the thread instead.

ready light flashing means the modem is not sync'd up correctly and can't get the required settings to work - ie IP, gateway IP and a number of other things

you might as well have a thread that says 'everyone who is having some sort of problem with their connection - post details here as it is probably related'

Welshchris
04-11-2009, 18:38

because my contract isnt up till end of dec...

markovts
04-11-2009, 18:40
my problem is now fixed - well at least for the moment. it'll probably start to keel over again later tonight

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 18:47
my problem is now fixed - well at least for the moment. it'll probably start to keel over again later tonight

Lucky you!

Current hold time - 27m 45s :(

Ignitionnet
04-11-2009, 18:50
because my contract isnt up till end of dec...

Given VM have told you in the past they aren't gong to support you any further and you're free to go I doubt they'd apply any early termination fees, you also set a 'deadline' to Virgin of end of October to fix the issues or you'd go elsewhere.

I totally appreciate the frustration but it doesn't really do you any favours to be posting on here slagging off the people who are supposed to be helping you in between making threats of legal action and leaving on the newsgroups which you don't follow up on. A lot more VM employees read this forum than post in it as I have found out myself on more than one occasion :)

Welshchris
04-11-2009, 19:01
I will post where and when i want with my opinions, they know my opinions very clearly as ive stated it enough to their head office.

chris26engwales
04-11-2009, 19:07
Given VM have told you in the past they aren't gong to support you any further and you're free to go I doubt they'd apply any early termination fees, you also set a 'deadline' to Virgin of end of October to fix the issues or you'd go elsewhere.

I totally appreciate the frustration but it doesn't really do you any favours to be posting on here slagging off the people who are supposed to be helping you in between making threats of legal action and leaving on the newsgroups which you don't follow up on. A lot more VM employees read this forum than post in it as I have found out myself on more than one occasion :)

You do realise that this obession with following Chris around is unhealthy dont you? on here, the newsgroups and thinkbroadband and you do realise chris is in a relationship so it will only end in heart ache for you :-)

Chris dad is still waiting to hear from the CEO office apparently the person dealing with these problems in Swansea has gone off sick.

Ignitionnet
04-11-2009, 19:16
I will post where and when i want with my opinions, they know my opinions very clearly as ive stated it enough to their head office.

Of course, point was more with the other things I mentioned and your previous comments why you are still with this company and haven't given your 30 days notice that's all.

You're free to give your opinion it's hardly going to motivate people to assist you however when you're telling them they're incompetent.

caph
04-11-2009, 19:19
Mags, I think the assumption is based on customers whose only experience of VM CS is speaking to India ... many more of the people that come through to your extension are going to be almost pitifully thankful just to be speaking to someone who is empowered to deal with the issue rather than merely categorise and close it down.

Chris, that is so very, very true. I would pay to speak to UK support even if Indian support remained free. The difference in competence levels is staggering.

Ignitionnet
04-11-2009, 19:20
You do realise that this obession with following Chris around is unhealthy dont you? on here, the newsgroups and thinkbroadband and you do realise chris is in a relationship so it will only end in heart ache for you :-)

You do realise your obsession with complaining about me in public and/or private whenever you feel I've impinged on Chris isn't healthy. He's not far off 30 and I'm sure he can stick up for himself.

Makes me wonder if you're jealous or something, either way he knows where the report post button is, and I presume a solicitor's address / phone number if he wishes to carry out his threat to prosecute me for 'harassment' for answering his copy/pasted posts. If he can post the same stuff in multiple places I can answer the same, either way don't flatter yourself or him with the idea he gets special attention, if he posts on http://www.broadbandreports.com or some other forums he'll get the same responses because I post there too.

Peter_
04-11-2009, 19:31
rob - the 0845 number i posted was the general landline number to contact virgin media, and option 2 is for technical support. I was posting this with a hint of sarcasm as the "technical support" agent i spoke to told me this was his direct number, when quite obviously it wasn't.

I have posted this below enough times for everyone to know it by now;)

Tech Support is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

I can appreciate they work to a script, but when thats all they can rely on and have no other technical knowledge/know how/experience on actually using the service, it's pointless asking them to help because you end up being the one explaining to them how the service works. I actually had one guy telling me i wouldn't be able to connect to my wireless router if my modem wasn't plugged in.....show you what we're up against.
As previously said by Mags we in the UK call centres do not work from a script as the are to many variables involved when running diagnostics, plus we use our own knowledge and skill in our job everyday, and some of us actually post on forums as well.

This thread has become a must read as it has been hijacked by Welshchris from Hazankos original subject and the ongoing thread makes me laugh every time I read it..

I know you have issues Welshchris so this is not in anyway getting at you.

Welshchris
04-11-2009, 19:49
is it me or has this thread kind of gone off subject from one of people posting on it if they have the same issue to one of trying to score points?

Ignitionnet
04-11-2009, 19:57
It was never about people posting with the same issue, it started off asking about anyone who got disconnected (when ready light goes off you're offline) and went off on a tangent about how people who lose their connection to the public internet don't have a public IP address anymore.

markovts
04-11-2009, 20:13
I have posted this below enough times for everyone to know it by now;)

Tech Support is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

As previously said by Mags we in the UK call centres do not work from a script as the are to many variables involved when running diagnostics, plus we use our own knowledge and skill in our job everyday, and some of us actually post on forums as well.

i completely agree with you, and thats why i haven't slated the uk call centres.

those numbers posted above are completely useless to me though, as it takes me to people who are not based in the uk, and are the complete opposite from the UK based guys in terms of knowledge and skills. they don't use they're own knowledge (because they've never used the uk based service in their life) and they're only skill is to frustrate paying customers by their inability to understand a technical issue.

i'm not saying it's they're fault - it's virgin media's fault for relying on such people outside the uk who have proven time and time again that their knowledge and expertise is almost non-existent unless what the customer is calling about is on their screen. there's no thinking outside the box with the non-uk based contact centres.

is there a number for getting through to someone in the uk based technical support area's?

P.S i am not racist in anyway at all, and if the service provided by contact centre's outside the uk was better, i'd be happy with it no matter which country it was in, but the fact is it's not.

Peter_
04-11-2009, 20:18
is there a number for getting through to someone in the uk based technical support area's?

You have to join the call tree and take whoever answers.

We do have some good offshore agents and a couple used to post here.

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 21:05
Well, it appears that my case has been escelated to the "IT Department" as the guy said tonight that there was a block on my internet and they couldnt lift it. I asked to get put through to the IT Dept but he said that they cant directly transfer calls through.

Moldova - I am assuming that you are a Virgin Media employee. Mark and myselfs problem is that the people from contact centres abroad employed by Virgin do not want to go any further than what is laid out in front of them. When I told the guy tonight that I was connected to my modem and viewing the log files he said that wasn't possible. This is just one example of the level of knowledge of the foreign agents and I do feel that if I were given the chance to speak to someone in the UK they would be able to understand my own problem. If you use the actual hardware yourself it is obvious that you will have more of a technical understanding of the product.

Any chance of helping me out please? It is frustrating to say the least having to go without services due to them being turned off by Virgin. If they could even turn them on till the engineer visits on Saturday it would still give me a chance of getting connected again. :)

Ignitionnet
04-11-2009, 21:10
IT are an internal department pointy but they should be able to sort it.

Kursk
04-11-2009, 21:13
I can never understand why the likes of Chris and Moldova come under fire. Chris isn't afraid to stick his head above the parapet and say it the way it is (he rightly did it in the infamous Phorm thread a while back) and Moldova posts invariably to assist. Really, CF is a great resource and winding up the guys who are hosting or helping makes no sense at all. The internet plays up; we all know that. But the people here will help if they can, and in my experience, so will VM. Perhaps biting the hand that feeds you is not so clever?

pointy shadow
04-11-2009, 21:57
IT are an internal department pointy but they should be able to sort it.

Thanks Broadbandings. :)

Any idea how long it takes for them to investigate this? The guy on the phone said that there is no timeline or SLA for things like this to get resolved. Surely thats not the case? :confused:

Ignitionnet
04-11-2009, 22:04
Blimey, piece of string from previous experience. It's a problem with the provisioning database, it depends on what else they're doing to be honest, a single user issue, while it's a high priority to your good self, is a lower priority than any other cases that are affecting multiple customers :(

pabscars
05-11-2009, 08:08
Thanks Broadbandings. :)

Any idea how long it takes for them to investigate this? The guy on the phone said that there is no timeline or SLA for things like this to get resolved. Surely thats not the case? :confused:

I don't know if this will help, but when I first had VM's services 1st installed I was told I was in the walled garden and also pre-provisioned.

It did originally take 2 weeks to get sorted but only when I complained to CS was the issue dealt with via UK customer support.

These guys were very helpful, one guy in particular who at the time even left me his number to call if I had any further problems.

I purposely didn't retain his number, so as not to become a pain in the proverbial, or risk getting him in trouble.

So my point is, either wait it out whilst keeping your fingers crossed, or kick up a fuss and make a complaint to CS, it worked for me.

theoldbill
05-11-2009, 11:45
OK so this is happening to my modem again (although I'm not in Swansea) - flashing ready but internet access is working fine.

Logfiles say this... what is the 'DCC' it seems to be waiting for (but hasn't received yet)...

Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Information (7) DCC arrive new
Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Information (7) Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Information (7) Downstream lock ok
Thu Nov 05 11:42:37 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:37 2009 Information (7) DCC depart old
Thu Nov 05 11:42:37 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:37 2009 Information (7) Received DCC-REQ message...

Ignitionnet
05-11-2009, 11:53
DCC - Downstream Channel Change. You were moved from 1 downstream to another, took 1 second.

Evidently your modem is just fine else you wouldn't be online but that's what happened.

Thu Nov 05 11:42:37 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:37 2009 Information (7) Received DCC-REQ message...

Received Downstream Channel Change Request

Thu Nov 05 11:42:37 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:37 2009 Information (7) DCC depart old

Left old downstream channel

Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Information (7) Downstream lock ok

Locked on to new downstream.

Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Information (7) Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...

Waiting for Upstream Channel Descriptors - these messages tell the modem details about upstream channels, once it sees one of these it requests the upstream and will complete lock and be ready for service again...

Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Thu Nov 05 11:42:38 2009 Information (7) DCC arrive new

... Just like that - job done.

The log is a bit confusing as it runs bottom to top but all was at it should be, your modem was moved from one downstream channel to another to balance load.

theoldbill
05-11-2009, 11:58
Thanks Broadbandings - but is the Ready light supposed to carry on flashing after this has been completed. Everything works so am not too bothered, just curious.

(as I said in a prev. post I was only moved onto this new ubr last week so maybe it's a bug - but saying that it's nice to get full 20meg speeds again, day AND night - for now)

Ignitionnet
05-11-2009, 12:34
No the ready light should be solidly on, I guess it's a little bug in the modem firmware.

Sounds like you're getting good performance on the new kit though so all's well.

You're welcome. :)

Saneboy13
05-11-2009, 18:26
Broadbandings,

I have been really interested in everything you keep saying to WelshChris about his problem. You have an insistance that it's a Network problem, I would be really interested in what makes you come up with that assumption.

Reason I am interested is I am the Network Tech. Chris referrs to, and I can tell you it isn't a Network issue per-se. There is a lot more to this than meets the eye, and I would appreciate being able to put it down in a pm or mail so I can give you facts and get your take on the whole situation

Ignitionnet
05-11-2009, 18:51
Roger that, you have a PM.

Saneboy13
05-11-2009, 19:06
Thanks for that, you have a best selling novel waiting for you

Peter_
05-11-2009, 19:07
Thanks for that, you have a best selling novel waiting for you
The Welshchris Saga:D:D:D

Saneboy13
05-11-2009, 19:13
The WelshChris saga that isn't getting resolved, because we keep being told it's a HFC issue when it isn't

Welshchris
05-11-2009, 19:17
Moldova, this is part of the reason why i am going to sky, Saneboy is a VM Network engineer and was there any need for a VM member of staff (urself) to make a cheep public shot at Another member of staff trying to be helpful?

Peter_
05-11-2009, 19:20
Moldova, this is part of the reason why i am going to sky, Saneboy is a VM Network engineer and was there any need for a VM member of staff (urself) to make a cheep public shot at Another member of staff trying to be helpful?
It was a joke about the PM he had sent and not aimed at him at all.

Good luck with the SKY package Chris and I hope it provides you with a service you can use and enjoy without the hassle.:)

Welshchris
05-11-2009, 19:22
Moldova, i really think ur so called Joke was in bad taste and shows what complete disrespect some members of VM staff have for customers and their work collegues.

Chris
05-11-2009, 19:25
Moldova, i really think ur so called Joke was in bad taste and shows what complete disrespect some members of VM staff have for customers and their work collegues.

I think your massive over-reaction to his so-called joke (which wasn't a joke at all, it was just a passing, throwaway comment) is the most laughable thing in this whole laughable thread.

Peter_
05-11-2009, 19:26
Chris did you fail to read my post above it was about the size of the PM he sent broadbandings and not a joke about him.

I know that you are unhappy with your service and as you say you are going to SKY because of this, people make comments on here all the time as do I, but I never put people down on here as that is unfair.

Welshchris
05-11-2009, 19:27
here we go again pulling weight on someone else because they have power and disagree with someone else... I see a pattern emerging here.

Chris
05-11-2009, 19:29
here we go again pulling weight on someone else because they have power and disagree with someone else... I see a pattern emerging here.

If there's one thing you've proven yourself very good at Chris, it's seeing patterns that aren't there.

Saneboy13
05-11-2009, 19:32
Chris, don't worry about the Moldova quote..I have skin like a Rhino's hind quarter. The banter and things we say to eachother is about 100 times worse than that...besides I knew that Moldova was having a fun dig at me, as we Net Tech's are not very good with our Keyboard skills, unlike them that sit in the office all day, ain't that right Moldova:D

chris26engwales
05-11-2009, 19:34
I have to say this is showing a total disrespect here for members, and a mod throwing his weight around and saying and getting away with much more with what we can because he is a mod with powers.

I know its against the rules to publicly argue with a mod but im going to say YOU REALLY ARE DISRESPECTUL! and the wait you talk to members on here knowing they cant get away with saying things back to you, i really think you dont deserve to be a Mod.

Your a hypocrite.

Chris
05-11-2009, 19:39
And you're hysterical, and perhaps just a teensy bit paranoid. I don't see anyone getting banned here, do you? I see no 'powers' in evidence here at all. :dozey:

If you don't like people disagreeing with you and criticising your approach to your issues, then don't post them on a public internet forum that is dedicated to open discussion. It's not rocket science, is it?

Ignitionnet
05-11-2009, 19:41
Well we are having a very pleasant and informative chat anyway, I'll leave the thread to rage while we discuss the matter in private :)

Peter_
05-11-2009, 19:51
Chris, don't worry about the Moldova quote..I have skin like a Rhino's hind quarter. The banter and things we say to eachother is about 100 times worse than that...besides I knew that Moldova was having a fun dig at me, as we Net Tech's are not very good with our Keyboard skills, unlike them that sit in the office all day, ain't that right Moldova:D
Not quite sure about CTRL ALT DEL:D

Saneboy13
05-11-2009, 19:53
CTRL,ALT,DEL where do I find them on the keyboard?:dunce:

Welshchris
05-11-2009, 19:54
wheres the any key?

Peter_
05-11-2009, 19:56
CTRL,ALT,DEL where do I find them on the keyboard?:dunce:
By the Linux button on any PC;)

Saneboy13
05-11-2009, 20:00
Linux:shocked: Now you are talking my language:D. Then again.. I was going to say something then and just lost my train of thought...see, that's what happens when you put a screen and keyboard in front of me:dunce:. Gimme a hammer and a spanner and I am a happy boy:p:

Sephiroth
05-11-2009, 20:03
Back to topic: I can see how the modem ready light going off has affected certain people here.

Peter_
05-11-2009, 20:46
wheres the any key?
Well you press any key to continue or any other key to quit...

Hazanko
05-11-2009, 22:20
Hazanko looked at the chaos he had created and thought to himself, "what have i done!?".

I didn't realise my thread would get this bad. The fault seemed to of been effecting people in the North West, it said on 151. Mine seems fine at the moment but it went down yesterday night.

Peter_
05-11-2009, 22:24
Hazanko looked at the chaos he had created and thought to himself, "what have i done!?".

I didn't realise my thread would get this bad. The fault seemed to of been effecting people in the North West, it said on 151. Mine seems fine at the moment but it went down yesterday night. It seems fine at the moment though.
You managed to get a large thread but not much about the theme you wanted which all things considered is what I expected.;)

Chris
05-11-2009, 23:24

I didn't realise my thread would get this bad. The fault seemed to of been effecting people in the North West, it said on 151. Mine seems fine at the moment but it went down yesterday night.

It wasn't a bad idea on the face of it, but as all the techies and VM employees in this thread have been saying since it began, it was based on a false assumption.

When your modem ready light goes off, all the modem is saying is 'I'm not ready' ... effectively 'something's not working'. It is no more likely that you can identify a nationwide fault by cataloguing instances of this failure, than you could infer a nationwide outbreak of tyre-slashing just because every branch of Kwik-Fit from Land's End to John O'Groats fixed a handful of punctures today.

moaningmags
05-11-2009, 23:26
A flashing ready light is either no upstream lock or no online lock determined by how fast the light flashes, only logging into the config page of the modem will tell you which one it is.

Chris
05-11-2009, 23:29
Now, Mags, you've only gone and given some folks enough rope to hang themselves.

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

Noisily.

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

;) :D

Peter_
05-11-2009, 23:42
They will want full details and descriptions now:p:

moaningmags
05-11-2009, 23:54
My bad :erm:

Mr_Grinch
06-11-2009, 15:18
Could you tell me how many Mississippi I need to count between flashes for it to be "no upstream lock"?

Thanks in advance.

avid.merrion
06-11-2009, 19:05
I am in Swansea (SA1) and have been having this problem for the last 2 months.

We have had several engineer visits, a new modem and cables. The last time the engineer came (last week) he mentioned he had just come from another job on the street from someone who works in the call centre, and this is a problem further up the network.

When it does happen, the sync light drops for a split second and re-locks. This causes the ready light to flash. If I manually renew the IP (DHCP/RENEW) I can connect, even though the ready light does not lock.

If I want to stop it flashing I have to reboot the modem.

I am sick of phoning India and having to spend 20 minutes listening to bad music and then following the turn it off and on again script, but what choice do I have?

Sympathy to fellow ready light flashers :(

Ignitionnet
06-11-2009, 20:50
Quick note - in SA1 you will be on different equipment from Welshchris who is on Cwmbwrla kit not Swansea.

The condition of needing to manually renew IP affects me on the 50Mbit modem as well. The ready light flashing is just a cosmetic bug and shouldn't be worried about.

This withstanding it sounds like whenever you are load balanced across from one downstream to another you are having to manually renew IP - most annoying for sure but nothing to do with Welshchris and his issue.

It seems to be a bit random, some customer kit is just fine with the modem dropping sync and comes back online just fine, some isn't.

EDIT: Also your post is another post showing what a 'mare this thread is. So many causes for the same symptom. It's almost like trying to say every time someone sneezes it has to be swine flu because people with swine flu sneeze :(

avid.merrion
06-11-2009, 21:02
SA1 postcode not SA1 development. Don't know if that makes a different.

This has been happening on more than one cable modem, and is also happening for other people on my street.

pointy shadow
06-11-2009, 21:24
There is several of us in the PA15 and PA16 postcode that are in the exact same boat.

Getting a new modem tomorrow and a 50mb install next week for £35 so hopefully I dont have any issues post upgrade.

Is this something that can be fixed at the headend Broadbandings?

iFrankie
06-11-2009, 21:26

mine cut off for like 10 minutes then came back on, it happened a couple of times.

chris26engwales
07-11-2009, 00:24
Frankie when dads goes off its horrendous to try and get back on. Sometimes you have to reboot the modem 5 or 6 times. Its gone on so long now that dad has today signed for sky after being told by tech support all the time theres nothing wrong and must be his pc and since he relies heavily on emails for work he needs a reliable internet.

Chris
07-11-2009, 00:41
This pointless thread is now becoming a distraction to those with specific issues that cannot possibly be fixed by referring to a random list of broken cable modems from all over the UK.

In the interest of giving the best assistance to as many individual users as possible, I am now closing this thread.