PDA

View Full Version : DIR-615 Slow Portforwarding

woolly
01-11-2009, 16:03
I have a recent install of a Dlink DIR-615 router that generally seems to work ok.
I have setup some port forward rules - they work but are painfully slow and unusable.

My first thoughts were to check the HW firmware but!!

The Hardware Version is D2 and the firmware v1.0VM this dosn't seem to relate to any firmware updates available on the D-link site. They only mention D1 and B2.

Any Help.

Sephiroth
01-11-2009, 23:36
What are the port forwarding rules for? Torrents? If so, how many torrent connexions have you set up? Maybe you're stressing what is a fairly lame router?

Also, if so, search this forum for the hefty discussion on VM and torrebts.

Hope this helps.

woolly
02-11-2009, 19:40
At the moment it is even a simple forward on port 80 to a web server that has some basic text and images that is slow. By slow I mean the images are not even properly rendered after 5 mins.

Hence I was looking to check the firmware version of the router first before I went much further trying to diagnose.

I have fallen at the first hurdle with the router HW version not even listed.

I previously had the web page and more working on my old Bt Internet link and BT Home hub, so I am happy the resource requirements are pretty low.

Sephiroth
02-11-2009, 20:09
I suspect the lack of NAT loopback on the DIR-615 is part of your problem. Does that make sense to you?

woolly
02-11-2009, 20:26
I know what NAT is and a loopback but unsure if I completely understand in this context.

But I think you might be right about this being the root cause of the issue, I am going to another location tomorrow and check the "service" from there.

If this is the problem it is going to be a real pain as the real service I am trying to put back in place is based on a PHP application PhpGedView. This is geneology program, but here the issue is that the config of the service has the site URL embedded. Therefore I need to resolve internally and externally on the same URL.

I will let you know how I get on but I think it is a good call.

Sephiroth
02-11-2009, 21:03
This is a semi-useful NAT loopback read: http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/loopback_connections.html

There are other routers to consider - like Draytek 2930 or you could Google it to make a choice. But if you do swap router, research the problems. The router needs legs IMO.

L33tCh
26-11-2009, 01:14
Well, on the DIR-615 it looks like it's the firewall that causes the issues...

Setting up the port forwarding creates routes through the firewall but they are one way: WAN to LAN... It seems to me that the fact that we want LAN to LAN is the issue here... but of course it won't let me add this rule...

I can't think of anything other than setting your we server as a DMZ, but of course that's not what one would really want. >> scratch that... DMZ doesn't work either...

The DynDNS site describes the problem well, but fails at a solution in my eyes... of course the hosts file idea would work but then you have to edit all hosts files on all machines this side of the router... can you say inefficient?

I really can't stand it when they 'forget' to add the option of up/down stream or both to firewall rules...

woolly
28-11-2009, 14:51
Yep at the moment I have manually amended my hosts file locally on each of my machines and this is a pain as I have several and some of those have multiple O/S.
Have added a new router to my Xmas list.

butchb0012
07-12-2009, 21:12
I have the same problem with my router although i can access my port 80 and anyother port for that matter outside my house but in my house i can't access anything. I am with Virgin 50mb.

pabscars
08-12-2009, 09:54
I have the same problem with my router although i can access my port 80 and anyother port for that matter outside my house but in my house i can't access anything. I am with Virgin 50mb.

Snap, I've only had this router for 2 weeks and Ive come to the conclusion it is a pile of steaming crud.

I thought the netgear was bad but this thing cant cope with the very basic of household requirements.

running 2 consoles and 1 PC caused it to freeze/crash last night, and we weren't downloading or streaming, the wife was playing peggle fgs.

On Saturday evening I was trying to download MAP Pack 1,2 and 3 for Cod 5 and the router frooze every few seconds (no bull) and would not restart until I cancelled the download and started it again, I,m not sure if its crippled by virgins own firmware or whether its just a pants router (or both).

In some respects you cant knock VM as this was supplied FOC, but surely these bargain basement routers are gonna cause more problems in the long run.

I think I will go back to the netgear and put up with its random reboots untill I get my DIR-655 for christmas.

djcalzar
24-03-2010, 18:21
Oh goody so the router is a pile of crap? I thought it must be something like that because no matter how hard I try via portforward.com to setup portforwarding so that I can run shoutcast and play some tunes on SAM Broadcaster it won't stream. Total pain in the arse. Virgin sent me two DIRE-615's as well. Ones going back and the other? well I'm guessing it'll make a nice doorstop. Oh and if anyone's got a solution to my shoutcast problem then please email me the solution.

zing_deleted
24-03-2010, 18:47
this router is flashable with a third party firmware

Sephiroth
24-03-2010, 19:05
maybe this site will be of help if you haven't been there already.

http://portforward.com/

djcalzar
24-03-2010, 19:52
maybe this site will be of help if you haven't been there already.

http://portforward.com/

Yep I went there as soon as the new router was up and running. I think TBH it's a crap router and my Linksys WRT54GS is miles better. Just thought WirelessN would be cool. I guess not.

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

this router is flashable with a third party firmware

Have you tried finding the right firmware on DWT Forums it's a nightmare. They want you to find it cryptically. Nuts to that

Sephiroth
24-03-2010, 20:00
Wireless N is cool if you're at 5 GHz.

djcalzar
24-03-2010, 20:17
Wireless N is cool if you're at 5 GHz.

Nice set of options there Seph, how is Reading nowadays not been back to jolly old England for awhile. This router is beginning to get me down I think it's a ReRewind to my Linksys router just because it has no problems with streaming my shoutcast server. And unlike somebody on another forum spending £88 on a different router I think I'll pass.

zing_deleted
24-03-2010, 21:33
Yep I went there as soon as the new router was up and running. I think TBH it's a crap router and my Linksys WRT54GS is miles better. Just thought WirelessN would be cool. I guess not.

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Have you tried finding the right firmware on DWT Forums it's a nightmare. They want you to find it cryptically. Nuts to that

ive got links to it on here somewhere search my name and firmware and there links