PDA

View Full Version : internet randomly shutting off, very annoying!

Berzerk
01-11-2009, 04:42
for the past few weeks my internet has started to shut down and i need to restart the modem to get it on again, my modem is pretty old its a telewest scientific atlanta 2100. this is very annoying

can somebody help me please? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Kymmy
01-11-2009, 09:02
Ring up tech support, tell them what the modem is doing and they'll probably send you out a new one free of charge

Sephiroth
01-11-2009, 09:30
While you're waiting, you could do a bit of diagnostics since there are at least three potential partners in a problem. (1) The modem; (2) the PC's NIC; (3) The VM network (everything from there coax in youtr house back to their head end.

So - before you power off/on the modem (and you've lost internet):

1 What do the Cable & PC LEDs show?

2 Is the modem connected to your PC by USB or ethernet?

3 If ethernet, is there a router in line and if so what make?

4 Have you logged into your modem when directloy connected and examined the readings? We could do with seeing the Upstream & Downstream power levels, Operational Configuration, Status - in fact whatever's on offer.

5 Has anything changed on your PC? Ethernet drivers or settings?

You never know what we might find

Jimmy-J
01-11-2009, 11:05
I have the same problem, very annoying. I'm on the 10mb in the M27 part of Manchester. My nil:250 modem is connected to a Linksys wireless router.

Berzerk
01-11-2009, 16:18
While you're waiting, you could do a bit of diagnostics since there are at least three potential partners in a problem. (1) The modem; (2) the PC's NIC; (3) The VM network (everything from there coax in youtr house back to their head end.

So - before you power off/on the modem (and you've lost internet):

1 What do the Cable & PC LEDs show?

2 Is the modem connected to your PC by USB or ethernet?

3 If ethernet, is there a router in line and if so what make?

4 Have you logged into your modem when directloy connected and examined the readings? We could do with seeing the Upstream & Downstream power levels, Operational Configuration, Status - in fact whatever's on offer.

5 Has anything changed on your PC? Ethernet drivers or settings?

You never know what we might find

i called tech support, the guy told me to reset the modem a bunch of times, when that didnt work he told me there must be an "issue" in the northwest where i live. So that call was a waste of time.

connection is working at the moment.

1. PC light is off, cable light is on.
2. Ethernet
3. Not sure if the modem is In-line, it's a scientific atlanta 2100 from Telewest.
4. Not sure how to do that.
5. Nothing changed.

webcrawler2050
01-11-2009, 16:23

192.168.100.1 root / root

Sephiroth
01-11-2009, 16:45
i called tech support, the guy told me to reset the modem a bunch of times, when that didnt work he told me there must be an "issue" in the northwest where i live. So that call was a waste of time.

connection is working at the moment.

1. PC light is off, cable light is on.
2. Ethernet
3. Not sure if the modem is In-line, it's a scientific atlanta 2100 from Telewest.
5. Nothing changed.

Clapped out modem is still forst bet.

Using the colour code:

I wanted to know if you had a router connected to the modem. It would appear that your PC is directly connected to the 2100.

If the PC light is off, it means that the PC, connected by ethernet, is not actually seen by the modem

As webby says, in Internet Explorer, type into the address bar 192.168.100.1 (I hope that's right for the 2100 modem). Then click LOGIN and use root as the user name and root as the password. You'll have a number of menu items. Go to each one and copy the image for or texts for giveing back to us.

Of course this won't work if the PC light isn't on - the light will blink when data is transferring.

So, hopefully we've got something concrete to go on. The PC light.

When you reboot the modem, I presume that the PC light comes on. Right?

Why would it go off?

The modem has an intermittent fault
The ethernet cable is flaky (change it)
The ethernet cable isn't plugged in properly one end
The PC NIC is not set up properly or is faulty

So there's something to be going on with. You could try connecting your PC via the USB port and see if that works (disconnect the ethernet). BUT to do this you will need drivers which would need an installation disk which you may not have been given. It might be in the XP/Vista standard drivers list or downloaded (at your risk) from http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=806969

The PC NIC, if that is a problem, can be reset with IPCONFIG /Renew using the CMD pane.

Berzerk
01-11-2009, 18:21
modem is directly connected to the pc.

the PC light comes on when the modem reboots

http://img265.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img265/2195/systemr.jpg&via=mupload
http://img233.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img233/7320/statusyf.jpg&via=mupload
http://img145.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img145/8826/signali.jpg&via=mupload
http://img297.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img297/7479/loga.jpg&via=mupload
http://img504.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img504/9458/log2o.jpg&via=mupload

Sephiroth
01-11-2009, 19:41
Your readings are fine.

To pursue the DHCP stuff, please provide an IPCONFIG /ALL > Fred.txt

Then open Fred.txt in notepad and cut/paster what's there.

Do this both for when it's running and when the PC light is out on the modem.

I suppose the PC light goes off randomly? What are the symptoms here

Do you have a firewall? When I've seen the IPCONFIG data, I'll know whether to suggest giving a range of IP addresses from VM to trust (92.239.242.116 is one such address). Of course one doesn't know what IP address you'll be served - but if it's a firewall problem the principle holds good.

You see, your PC is directly connected to the modem and it doesn't have an IP address. So it is served one from the VM end under DHCP. You could try providing an IP address in your IPv4 and IPv6 settings for the NIC to avoid the mullarky with the remote end. I'm working from theory here because I have a router between the PC and the modem which deals with this DHCP stuff.

Finally, do you regularly swap computers on the modem? Prolly not but if I don't ask someone else will.

Berzerk
01-11-2009, 21:53
connection was working fine and the PC light was off when i made this IPCONFIG...

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gamer
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : (Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : (Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.252.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 01 November 2009 15:41:59
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 08 November 2009 15:40:48
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.30.0.121
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201334112
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-7C-C9-DB-00-1D-60-88-17-70
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:d5c7:a2d6:181e:12:a310:d8b(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::181e:12:a310:d8b%9(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : (Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I use windows firewall, ive never had a problem with it before. i dont swap computers with the modem at all but i have reinstalled my OS a few times recently.

Sephiroth
01-11-2009, 22:10
The IPCONFIG looks perfect. Your MAC address is there as reported in the modem data. So is the VM Knowsley IP address that you've been served. So is all the DNS indormation.

From that I would conclude that there is something not right in the modem or in your circuit and thus the engineer who's coming is your next resort.

Please let us know what the outcome was so that we add it to the knowledge bank.

Best wishes

Berzerk
01-11-2009, 22:16
ok thanks very much for your help, i will get back to you with the outcome.

Berzerk
02-11-2009, 12:06
today it seems to be working fine :eeek:

pc light is on, if i restart the computer or shutdown i dont lose connection either...

fingers crossed lol.