PDA

View Full Version : possibly moving home questions i want answered that are not on the faq

huyi
31-10-2009, 11:06
so yeah i am moving into another property with my boyfriend and i have been with virgin media for ages, i want to transfer my services to the new adress, i just want a idea on how much this will cost.

is there a connection fee? or any other hidden charges we should know about to transfer my services?
when is the right time to tell virgin media that i am moving? we haven't sorted out the move completely yet.

will i begin a new contract and will i get a free router with my new contract?

i am currently on 10mb broadband, i don't want any speeds changes as i am happy with the speed i get.

oh and i know about the website form, is it best to call them over the phone or use the moving home form?

Welshchris
31-10-2009, 19:07
i Moved last November and they waived the installatio fee if i was to sign a new 12 month contract.

They did bugger up my DD and didnt debit me for 4 months and then sent me a demanding letter trying to blame me saying i owed £147 and they claim i cancelled the DD at the bank but proved the bank was active and someone had buggered up on their end.

Its best to ring them that way thing have less chance of going wrong!

huyi
31-10-2009, 20:00
ok, i will do, thanks for the advice.

darren.b
31-10-2009, 21:35
so yeah i am moving into another property with my boyfriend and i have been with virgin media for ages, i want to transfer my services to the new adress, i just want a idea on how much this will cost.
When I did it ex-telewest, cost me nowt.

is there a connection fee? or any other hidden charges we should know about to transfer my services?
Unlikely. Even if you want extra services, there shouldn't be any extra charges. You will have to agree to a new 12 month contract though, regardless. I said "no problem, provide me with service I expect and I have no reason to leave you".

when is the right time to tell virgin media that i am moving? we haven't sorted out the move completely yet.
Ex-telewest quoted 30 days minimum but I got away with 7 days before the move. No idea what ex-NTL are like. A shambles I suspect.

will i begin a new contract and will i get a free router with my new contract?
Yes to new contract - probably no to freebies. Best to ask 'em and see. I never got a freebie when I moved, despite offers at the time.

oh and i know about the website form, is it best to call them over the phone or use the moving home form?
I called and got Class A service. I have never received any sort of acceptable service from the email side of things except when I first signed up. Once you are a customer, you become less important to them as they are already receiving your money and don't need to bend over backwards for you any more. This at least is the attitude I see since the merger.

Peter_
31-10-2009, 21:45
You can transfer your account to another address quite easily and they would expect 30 days notice and as it will be a new contract you should also receive a new wireless router.

Cost of installation will depend if the new property has previously been connected by Virgin and if that the case you may have to pay or a Quickstart kit as with it being a new contract they may replace all existing kit, if the property has never been connected then you will have to have a Manned installation.

Installation costs click HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/installation.html)

Also if you have a Virgin email address attached to your present address you will need to request a Move & Transfer of it to the new address.

BenMcr
31-10-2009, 22:10
Cost of installation will depend if the new property has previously been connected by Virgin and if that the case you may have to pay or a Quickstart kit as with it being a new contract they may replace all existing kit, if the property has never been connected then you will have to have a Manned installation.
All house moves are done for free. Only time there is a cost is if you get a V+ installed that you didn't have before or XXL broadband

Also if you have a Virgin email address attached to your present address you will need to request a Move & Transfer of it to the new address.Which will only be possible if you move in the same ex-company. E.g either within Areas 01-18 or 20-31. If you move from 01 to 20 for instances you will lose the @blueyonder.co.uk address

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Ex-telewest quoted 30 days minimum but I got away with 7 days before the move. No idea what ex-NTL are like. A shambles I suspect.There is no difference - there is only one House Moves team. You can give up to 6 weeks notice if you know what is happening. The less notice you give the less likely you will get the services on the day you move - especially if you need an engineer to install them

huyi
01-11-2009, 12:24
ah, well i am starting moving next week, i will be calling virgin media next week, i do hope they waver the charges, i am not bothered about a new contract as i have been with them a long time, thanks for the web link, i can see it's not much, i thought it would be around £40 £50 only problem i have is Welshchris said they messed up his payments i will make sure they sort everything out before they move hopefully i am not bothered about the virgin media email address, i hardly use it anyway, thanks for all the info so far.

huyi
02-11-2009, 17:34
it has all been sorted, they are going to call me in 7 days to install the cables for the broadband, thanks everyone for helping.

kevin0243
06-11-2009, 16:22
Hi, I moved house 2 weeks ago and took my virginmedia with me, the installation on my new house went very well with only being without internet for 2 days! BUT be aware your old house account has to be cancelled and a new contract started in your new house as stated, no problem you would think? but my main problem was my email address was disconected as it was linked to my old account, how stupid is that my phone number was ported fine so ask the question will I still be able to keep my virgin email address? i was told so but it didnt out to be the case:mad:

Peter_
06-11-2009, 16:28
Hi, I moved house 2 weeks ago and took my virginmedia with me, the installation on my new house went very well with only being without internet for 2 days! BUT be aware your old house account has to be cancelled and a new contract started in your new house as stated, no problem you would think? but my main problem was my email address was disconected as it was linked to my old account, how stupid is that my phone number was ported fine so ask the question will I still be able to keep my virgin email address? i was told so but it didnt out to be the case:mad:
Each Address gets its own unique username for that property, which when you move is not taken with you, as at the new property you are given a new unique username and the old username is put into a Disabled state.

When you move house and Customer Services are aware that you are taking you services to the new property and they are supposed to ask if you need to transfer your present username to your property, which as in case does not always happen.

We then we get customers calling in as they cannot access their emails, which is classed as a Failed Move and Transfer, which can be dealt with almost immediately by us if the old account is in Disabled.

All you need to do is call Tech Support on 151 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

kevin0243
06-11-2009, 17:28
Thanks moldova for explaining this, I wish I'd been told this before my account was disabled, let's hope others read this before they move!:shocked:

Peter_
06-11-2009, 17:57
Thanks moldova for explaining this, I wish I'd been told this before my account was disabled, let's hope others read this before they move!:shocked:
Just ring in they should be able to do it quite quickly for you.

kevin0243
06-11-2009, 18:01
could not transfer my email because it's a virginmedia.com email (google platform )so cannot be done CRAZY!!

Peter_
06-11-2009, 18:04
could not transfer my email because it's a virginmedia.com email (google platform )so cannot be done CRAZY!!
The old one or the new one is a @virginmedia.com, if the old one as long as you are still within the original franchise be it NTL or Blueyonder should just be able to transfer onto your new account.

kevin0243
06-11-2009, 18:58
old one virginmedia, told by 3 tech support guy's cannot be done as google own these no virgin? will be able to in the future but not for me......It's gone for ever!!
thanks anyway

huyi
12-11-2009, 15:46
i have been waiting 10 days now to be connected i am using the public libary computers atm, it's so boring without internet, i also have bad news, they won't let me use cable in my new adress, i have to use ADSL bah! i have no choice those as they just can't install cable anyway :( i had to start a 12 month new contract, does anyone know what router they supply with adsl? thanks.

huyi
05-12-2009, 00:06
just a update, i finally have my broadband activated, it's been almost 6 weeks without internet, everything is sorted out now, only annoyance is that i had to wait a long time for the broadband to be activated, has anyone else waited this long for activation?

the router they gave me was a D-link it's a modem and router all in one.