PDA

View Full Version : Lost installation CD

LostMyCD
29-10-2009, 13:30
Hello

I cannot locate our installation CD and want to use my new notebook on the wireless internet at home.

I have a network name and password but cannot connect to the network.

Can anyone advise me please?

L

Stuart
29-10-2009, 14:37
What notebook do you have?

LostMyCD
29-10-2009, 14:42
It's a toshiba nb200-110

Aragorn
29-10-2009, 15:09
Do you have any other PC's connected to your wireless?
Normally you don't need any installation CD if you have a working router, but you will need to know the wireless security details of the router.
Can you connect to the internet if you plug the netbook into the router via a Lan cable?
What is the error you get when trying to connect?

LostMyCD
29-10-2009, 15:18
Yes there are two other laptops which connected easily to the wireless internet. We set them both up together when we first set up the router and VM broadband. I have since lost the CD. My notebook picks up the signal from the router but i cannot connect.

When setting up with the VM installation CD it gives you this section to set up your security and password http://www.virginmedia.com/help/wireless/setup-faqs.php#faq-8
under "Network name and password problems during set-up."

But when i try to connect the new laptop simply through the windows wireless connections it asks for a network key.

Confused...

Tech_Boy
29-10-2009, 15:34
the network key is the password that you set up when you 1st added the other computers to the router.
You can log into the router & see/change the password, the log in details, ip address/username & password are printed on the bottom of the router.

LostMyCD
29-10-2009, 15:40
How do you log into the router?

There are default username/passwords on the bottom of the router - do you mean these. Have these not been changed by the passwords set up during the installation of the first two laptops?

Peter_
29-10-2009, 15:52
Hello

I cannot locate our installation CD and want to use my new notebook on the wireless internet at home.

I have a network name and password but cannot connect to the network.

Can anyone advise me please?

L
Click on this link and ignore the first line.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34864636-post15.html

LostMyCD
29-10-2009, 16:06
Thank you. I'll try this tonight and see if i have any luck

L

Peter_
29-10-2009, 16:07
Thank you. I'll try this tonight and see if i have any luck

L
The is no need for the CD and either one of those should work.;)