PDA

View Full Version : Problems with PC Gaurd

BomberAF
27-10-2009, 19:11
Does anyelse have any problems with PC Gaurd? I don't use and I haven't use it for ages but when I did use it I found that it messed around with my web broswer. What it done to my web browser was to not display web pages properly so you couldn't select radio buttons from drop down menus as they wouldn't work properly. Another problem that I found which didn't actually affect my use of the web but I found it annoying was when you have yahoo as your home page you can choose what colour you want your homepage but with PC gaurd the yahoo homepage's colours didn't work the whole screen went white with just a red stripe around it. It is like having a virus on your PC but when you uninstall PC gaurd the problem disapears and before anyone say I may have a virus well I have checked my pc after having PC Gaurd on it and there have been no viruses. For the record I dont want to actually use PC Gaurd cause even if it did work I do find it to be a load of crap not sure how well it disposes of viruses but I find it very un-user friendly.

Mick Fisher
28-10-2009, 12:04
From reading this forum it seems lots of people have problems with PCGuard. :(

What is even more disturbing is that it seems not to uninstall completely without using a separate removal tool. :(

That, in itself, is not unusual as both Norton and Mcafee require the use of such a tool. However a removal tool for Norton or Mcafee is freely available while a removal tool for PCGuard is not. To get and use the PCGuard removal tool, apparently, needs the assistance of VM tech support.

My opinion is to give this wretched software a wide berth. There is plenty of free av and/or firewalls out there that mostly behave themself. None of which, to my knowledge, require a removal tool to clean up after uninstalling.

Strangely I run Free AVG on an XP desktop and have never had a problem with it. I run the paid for NOD32 on a Vista notebook and it has some seemingly insurmoutable gliches such as on-demand scans always stop at 89% and at the same folder. The laugh is the folder is empty. I have had to set it to ignore that particular folder. Another gliche is now and again it doesn't start up correctly saying a driver hasn't installed. So far a reboot fixes this one.

Maybe the free alternative is a better alternative. I'll be dumping NOD32 when the subscription runs out.