PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Spoofed my MAC address !

migibro
24-10-2009, 17:01
A couple of months ago i was having some serious issues with my internet connection and found out that someone had somehow gotten hold of my IP address, i tried in vain to prevent the hacking going on, on my PC but in the end i had to get in touch with Virgin told them what was going on and they put me up ot a higher level within their departments, i was then instructed by this Indian guy on everything what to do which i did, a couple of days later i had another problem, so, phoned them back up, and i was speaking to this other guy from their Sheffield HQ, he asked me what had been going on, i then told him everything, and when i told him what the Indian guy had done, he was none to happy and said he would have to report the matter because, and that is when i found out that i had, had my MAC address spoofed by the Indian guy and the guy was astounded that this had happened.
So this is my question : Is this the done thing and was this legal what had been done, i am totally confused and have been for some month's now as i have had mixed comments on this subject !
Any comments would be appreciated !
Thankyou ! :)

Raistlin
24-10-2009, 17:11
So.....someone had hold of your IP address (which isn't difficult, it's given to every site you visit and can be gained in any manner of ways beyond that).

They were then 'hacking' you?

(Question 1: How were they 'Hacking' you? What do you mean by that?)

Then you spoke to an 'Indian guy' who told you everything to do.

(Question 2: What was it that he had you do?)

You then spoke to someone in the Sheffield office, and he told you that the 'Indian guy' had spoofed your MAC address and that he would have to report it.

(Question 3: Did he say what led him to this conclusion, and did he say if he would do anything to reverse the 'MAC spoofing'? Did he say who he was reporting it to?)

As to whether it's the 'done thing', pass. The VM guys here will be able to tell you whether it's common place when you tell us exactly what was done. As for whether it's 'legal', well.....technically it's Virgin's kit so I guess that they can do what they like with it - whether it was acceptable in terms of Virgin's contract with the company providing the Indian end of the operation is another matter, and one for Virgin to deal with.

As for your confusion, well without any further details I'd suggest we're likely to remain just as confused as you are. If you can tell us what has actually been done, rather than just the vagueries of the circumstances, then someone may be able to advise further.

webcrawler2050
24-10-2009, 17:42
A couple of months ago i was having some serious issues with my internet connection and found out that someone had somehow gotten hold of my IP address

Not hard - infact even my 3yr old could probably get it.

My question is why would he have the need to spoof your MAC address - it's very unlikely. I know VM are powerless to stop it happening. But it's likely the "hacker" had spoofed your MAC. I'd be intruiged to know more details..

migibro
24-10-2009, 17:53
I thought that quite a few of you would find it hard to believe, but believe me this is fact, how he spoofed mac address i wrote down exactly what he done after he came of the phone, because even the guy from the Sheffield office asked me to go through the process what the guy had done, and that is when he told me that mac address had been spoofed and he was totally bemused as to why the other guy would do such a thing, and thats also whan he said it needed reporting !
I can post the exact details of how he done it and what he had me do, but am i allowed to, or will i get whinged at by the admin on the site ?
P.S i know its not hard to get hold of an IP but whomever this was was taking personal details from me including card details and so on and i kicked up that much of a fuss thats when this all began !

Peter_
24-10-2009, 17:55
The only thing he may have done was clone your PC's MAC into the router to give you a different IP and as this is unsupported by Virgin as it is out of scope so maybe that was the issue the Sheffield agent was reporting

migibro
24-10-2009, 17:59
I didn't have a router ! :(

PPS : The guy didn't say who he was going to report it to he just said that he would have to report this to a higher level !

xocemp
24-10-2009, 18:13
Ok, so you think details were being taken from you because someone had your IP address. Difficult but not impossible.

The Indian guy who talked you through changing your MAC address was doing you a favour.
By changing your MAC address you would have a different IP address. But you've bubbled him now, so what do you care.

If you continue to be attacked then it's unlikely because a remote user has your IP address, since you have a new one. And it would be more likely you've gotten a trojan and or keylogger.

Sirius
24-10-2009, 18:16
I honestly dont see what the problem is with spoofing an ethernet card mac address ????. I spoof the mac on my ethernet card all the time. There is nothing illegal with that at all.

If you continue to be attacked then it's unlikely because a remote user has your IP address, since you have a new one. And it would be more likely you've gotten a trojan and or keylogger.

Fully agree :tu:

caph
24-10-2009, 20:22
A couple of months ago i was having some serious issues with my internet connection and found out that someone had somehow gotten hold of my IP address, i tried in vain to prevent the hacking going on, on my PC but in the end i had to get in touch with Virgin told them what was going on and they put me up ot a higher level within their departments

What were the problems, were they resolved? Who got hold of your IP address and how do you know they did? Why do you think the two were related? How were they hacking you?

i found out that i had, had my MAC address spoofed by the Indian guy

Could you tell us how you know that the Indian guy has cloned your MAC address? It would be pointless in India because they don't have Virgin cable, so I'm assuming you were told that he had taken your MAC address and passed it on to someone in the UK who has now been seen to be using it. Who is the person in the UK you were told is now using your MAC address on the Virgin network?

Sorry for all the questions, but your post is very intriguing.

Peter_
24-10-2009, 20:24
Ok, so you think details were being taken from you because someone had your IP address. Difficult but not impossible.

The Indian guy who talked you through changing your MAC address was doing you a favour.
By changing your MAC address you would have a different IP address. But you've bubbled him now, so what do you care.

Fully agree much more likely.:tu:

Stuart
25-10-2009, 01:46
P.S i know its not hard to get hold of an IP but whomever this was was taking personal details from me including card details and so on and i kicked up that much of a fuss thats when this all began !

Getting hold of your IP on its own would not give someone to your banking details (or any personal details). Neither would spoofing your MAC.

I would suggest that you have a keylogger and/or trojan, which would give someone access to all your personal details (and, incidentally, your IP and MAC).

Raistlin
25-10-2009, 07:34
I thought that quite a few of you would find it hard to believe, but believe me this is fact, how he spoofed mac address i wrote down exactly what he done after he came of the phone, because even the guy from the Sheffield office asked me to go through the process what the guy had done, and that is when he told me that mac address had been spoofed and he was totally bemused as to why the other guy would do such a thing, and thats also whan he said it needed reporting !
I can post the exact details of how he done it and what he had me do, but am i allowed to, or will i get whinged at by the admin on the site ?

I never said that I didn't believe you, I just asked for some more exact information so that I could understand exactly what had gone on and so that others could offer you some more useful advice.

If you choose not to give it that's up to you.

I'll do you a deal though, post the steps that the agent had you follow: if they're sufficiently dodgy as to be against the Terms of Use for the site then we'll remove them and take no action other than to tell you so. I doubt they will be though, as I can't imagine what he would have talked you through that would have been that serious. How's that?

---------- Post added at 07:34 ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 ----------

As has been said before, this is an 'intriguing' issue.

Could we all continue to be 'intrigued' please without abusing or ridiculing each other?

Thank you.

webcrawler2050
25-10-2009, 10:58
I think the OP is getting mixed up and or trying to place the blame at VM's door possibly.

However, few things i'm not certain about. You mentioned in post #4 that this "person" has yor IP address and your "card" details. Now, just to be correct here and understand your thoughts in a clear way, am I right in thinking, you think, that this hacker has your card details and your blaming VM and or the agent that Spoofed your MAC address?

So just to be clear, what is it your trying to to achieve with this thread. Help on security for your PC to prevent further attacks and or advice on the spoofing. The agent would of shown you how to change your MAC address in order to get a new IP thus stop the attacks. Have you a firewall installed? If so have you any logs on that firewall?