PDA

View Full Version : £1 per month extra for 50mb, sounds ok until you notice......

arcamalpha2004
24-10-2009, 12:29
" A one-off installation fee of £35 and an activation fee of £20.
In return you'll get a state-of-the-art router, a very sexy-looking modem and a special USB adaptor (worth over £100 altogether )Plus an engineer will visit to install and optimize it all for your personal computer. "

On my past experience with VM the gear would be just dropped off and they would be off to the next install.
Why the installation fee? already with VM for Broadband, and an activation fee of £20 ?
Sorry VM, must do better.
Thoughts anyone?

Peter_
24-10-2009, 12:32
In return you'll get a state-of-the-art router, a very sexy-looking modem and a special USB adaptor (worth over £100 altogether )Plus an engineer will visit to install and optimize it all for your personal computer. "

On my past experience with VM the gear would be just dropped off and they would be off to the next install.
Why the installation fee? already with VM for Broadband, and an activation fee of £20 ?
Sorry VM, must do better.
Thoughts anyone?
It gets installed by a technician no if or buts or self install options available.

You want 50Mb you pay the fee as with V+ installs.

Where have you been this is old news.

arcamalpha2004
24-10-2009, 12:37
It gets installed by a technician no if or buts or self install options available.

You want 50Mb you pay the fee as with V+ installs.

Where have you been this is old news.

How is it " Old News " ?
Dropped on my mat this morning!
Sorry Moldova, as I say, past experience shows that things do not happen as per the letter with VM.
So allow my pessimism ;)
Says nothing about self installs by the way.

Peter_
24-10-2009, 12:44
How is it " Old News " ?
Dropped on my mat this morning!
Sorry Moldova, as I say, past experience shows that things do not happen as per the letter with VM.
So allow my pessimism ;)
Says nothing about self installs by the way.
All the install charges have been known for 12 months but initially it cost £80 now it is £55 and the are many threads and posts about the charges on this forum and others, so apart from the letter to you it is old news, no offence.;)

arcamalpha2004
24-10-2009, 13:01
All the install charges have been known for 12 months but initially it cost £80 now it is £55 and the are many threads and posts about the charges on this forum and others, so apart from the letter to you it is old news, no offence.;)

No offence taken ;)
Good of VM to keep me updated though.
How many people that would have got that letter visit this site?
So no offence, but saying that there are many threads and posts on here about it only helps to an extent.
If VM are that desperate for the extra £1 per month why can they not win some brownie points by offering to repay loyalty?
Pigs/Fly ?
Thanks for your replies.

Peter_
24-10-2009, 13:05
No offence taken ;)
Good of VM to keep me updated though.
How many people that would have got that letter visit this site?
So no offence, but saying that there are many threads and posts on here about it only helps to an extent.
If VM are that desperate for the extra £1 per month why can they not win some brownie points by offering to repay loyalty?
Pigs/Fly ?
Thanks for your replies.
I know what you mean and usually Benmcr answers these queries but they can charge you simply for the reason they are the only ISP presently offering 50Mb, youy can always call in and cajole the sales rep for a better deal, always worth a try.

caph
24-10-2009, 21:00

I've got to say that, 50Mb modem aside, I don't think that £55 for a wireless N router and a wireless N dongle is not bad value for money. I'd probably pay that from Dabs.com.

I do however think that it should be optional. I'd much prefer to buy a good quality N router and fit a mini PCI Express wireless N card in my laptop than be forced to buy an external USB dongle and cheap N router. If I'm paying top whack for 50Mb why on earth would I want to couple that with a cheap low quality router???

Peter_
24-10-2009, 21:05
I've got to say that, 50Mb modem aside, I don't think that £55 for a wireless N router and a wireless N dongle is not bad value for money. I'd probably pay that from Dabs.com.

I do however think that it should be optional. I'd much prefer to buy a good quality N router and fit a mini PCI Express wireless N card in my laptop than be forced to buy an external USB dongle and cheap N router. If I'm paying top whack for 50Mb why on earth would I want to couple that with a cheap low quality router???
Its classed as a free router and dongle and you can refuse them but the price stays the same.

Better to take them and buy your own if prefered and you have a free Christmas present for someone.

bbxxl
24-10-2009, 23:14
Or they might just not deliver the router - as in my case.

It might turn up one day....

martyh
24-10-2009, 23:27
i've just ordered 50meg and have no issue at all with paying the install and connection fees i'm only paying an extra £8 a month on top of the 20meg i already have .my own router is a better one to VM's but it will do as a spare and i get to upgrade my lappy to N speed so alround happy little bunny here
I will post if there are any issues with the install on 4th nov ..and if there aren't

DerekRothwell
24-10-2009, 23:46
can't see anything on the VM website about this offer

djmagnifique
25-10-2009, 01:43
Any chance of a scan/picture of the leflet?

zing_deleted
25-10-2009, 01:34

I would agree with you if they could hack the job.The Netgear certainly cant . I hope to be able to get hold of other soon though

SMG
25-10-2009, 01:38
How can anyone believe Virgin when its chairman is a money grabbing lier.

He promised that all existing subscribers would not pay any more than new customers. A pack of lies. Cable didn't get better when Branson & his crew took over, it just got greedier.

Peter_
25-10-2009, 11:40
How can anyone believe Virgin when its chairman is a money grabbing lier.

He promised that all existing subscribers would not pay any more than new customers. A pack of lies. Cable didn't get better when Branson & his crew took over, it just got greedier.
You are aware that Virgin do not own Virginmedia and that Richard Branson is not its chairman so they did not take over but only leased the brand name.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33640290-richard-branson-does-not-own-virgin-page-3.html#post34897493

Sephiroth
25-10-2009, 12:15

Thoughts anyone?
What's a "very sexy-looking modem" when it's at home? Does it vibrate? Where will it fit? Does it appeal to men or women? Does it appeal to virgins? (LOL).

webcrawler2050
25-10-2009, 12:17
My thoughts are simple - 50MB is a manned install - no choice - simple as. That person needs a wage - petrol / diesel etc. Thus the fee.

SMG
25-10-2009, 15:30
You are aware that Virgin do not own Virginmedia and that Richard Branson is not its chairman so they did not take over but only leased the brand name.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/10/33640290-richard-branson-does-not-own-virgin-page-3.html#post34897493

I wonder why he made such a statement then. My opinion doesn`t change anyway m8, they are all ripping us off.

Stuart_
25-10-2009, 20:39
How are they ripping anyone off? People have jobs, and they get paid.

Would you be ** off you had to drive to someones house, and install this ridiculously easy modem/router and only get your normal pay? Basically, Virgin are saying: "Hey, we're so nice that we'll send out a person to install it for you - after all, you are paying a lot of money."

Gotta love the little things, right? Life's a bitch as they say.

Admin edit (Chris): Please don't try to dodge the swear filter, it's there for a reason.

arcamalpha2004
25-10-2009, 22:57
My thoughts are simple - 50MB is a manned install - no choice - simple as. That person needs a wage - petrol / diesel etc. Thus the fee.

How long does the install take?
Bearing in mind I am already a customer.
I assume they do not have to replace the cable in the back garden all the way back to the cab?

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

What's a "very sexy-looking modem" when it's at home? Does it vibrate? Where will it fit? Does it appeal to men or women? Does it appeal to virgins? (LOL).#

Does it only operate on batteries? lol;)

---------- Post added at 22:57 ---------- Previous post was at 22:55 ----------

Moldova, with respect ;) does it still give him the right to lie ?

arcamalpha2004
25-10-2009, 23:14
Any chance of a scan/picture of the leflet?

webcrawler2050
26-10-2009, 00:12
How long does the install take?
Bearing in mind I am already a customer.
I assume they do not have to replace the cable in the back garden all the way back to the cab?

A VM Tech / Installer will be able to confirm for sure.